2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

01 r/t runs rich, bogs, and dies sometimes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cbales84
n00b

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: 01 r/t runs rich, bogs, and dies sometimes Reply with quote

I have an 01 r/t that I purchased to run circle track. I used it for a dd up until recently. When it idles for too long it starts reving up and down and sometimes dies. Also while driving the cel will come on and bog down usually at the bottom of 3rd and sometimes in 5th with the smell of gas. Downshifting sometimes fixes it or having to feather the pedal for a bit til it clears up. I need to get the issue figured out soon as the season is starting in under 2 months. Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance[/img]

Last edited by Cbales84 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What code(s) were given when the CEL came on?

Could ba anything from a bad MAP sensor, to a crack in the header.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Cbales84
n00b

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O2 codes but didn't write down which ones. Has cat delete pipe. O2 look pretty new. Was thinking about maybe spacing my lower o2 and see if it fixes the problem. Strong smell of gas when it bogs down

Last edited by Cbales84 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a leak in the header before the upstream o2, the PCM could be dumping fuel due to fresh air getting into the exhaust stream, causing the o2 to send a lean signal, which will call for more fuel.

You really can't go on looks alone, I would get a scan tool that can read real time data to see what the o2 sensor is actually doing. You can do this relatively inexpensively with the Torque App, if you have an Andriod phone/tablet and an ODBII port adapter.

The downstream o2 will give a code for catalytic inefficiency, because it's output mirrors the upstream's too closely. This in itself will not cause any issues as far as how the engine runs. You could try the sparkplug non fouler spacer(s) to cure the downstream issue. But it won't fix the current problem.

A Comp 400 isn't aggressive enough to cause issues with the MAP sensor seeing low manifold vacuum, which will also dump fuel. If it is an old crane number 14, (Not sure what the new number is) then it will run too rich more at idle/low rpm.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Cbales84
n00b

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it gets back from having the cage installed I'll see if I can get my buddy to hook his modus up to it. I just have one from AZ. Wouldn't be that big of an issue to me but it does it without warning at various times and don't want it to happen while I'm out on the track.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Naturally Aspirated All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: