2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st Gen Throttle Body

View previous topic :: View next topic  
04R/T
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: 1st Gen Throttle Body Reply with quote

Recently picked up from Modern Performance an AMM no 90 lower intake, very nice piece, beautiful welding. This will be going on a 2.4 that will be installed in my 01 R/T. Since a 1st gen TB bolts right on, does any know if the TPS from a 1st gen is same as one on a 2nd gen? If the TPS is the same, that only leaves te IAC and maybe a mounting bracket for the throttle and cruise cables to be adapted.
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Gen Throttle Body Reply with quote

04R/T wrote:
Since a 1st gen TB bolts right on, does any know if the TPS from a 1st gen is same as one on a 2nd gen?

Comparing the two.... They appear the same to me.
A quick test on Amazon.com shows the application would be the same for SOHC engines, across the board on 1996-2005. (1995 being a possible exception.)

A couple of minor differences, between the 1st gen DOHC vs. SOHC TPS sensors ..... The DOHC TPS has the plug connection 'angled' differently. (90deg.'L')
This may or may not matter, depending on the direction that the plug gets angled. Just something to be aware of, in case there are any 'interference' or 'clearance' issues with anything else under the hood.
DOHC:
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/TPS326/image/2/

SOHC:
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/TPS323/image/3/

Also, keep in mind that the 1995 model year may have the 'round-pin' connectors as opposed to the 'flat-pin' connectors that were used following model years.

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
04R/T
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Gen Throttle Body Reply with quote

NickKo wrote:
They appear the same to me.
A quick test on Amazon.com shows the application would be the same for SOHC engines, across the board on 1996-2005.

Good info, thanks! Now to figure out how to adapt the IAC, Some of the remote setups I have seen here give good ideas. Think
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remote mounting the IAC like I did would be the best way, as the 2001 up IAC won't work with the 1gn throttle body.

Just be sure to use a minimum tube size of 3/8". I have no issues with idle using that. I wouldn't recommend vacuum hose, as it could collapse.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
04R/T
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
Remote mounting the IAC like I did would be the best way,

Yes, your thread detailing how you did this is what I was looking at. Hope you don't mind if I 'borrow' your ideas. Smile
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, if I wanted to be selfish, I wouldn't have posted it. Very Happy

I'm actually surprised the OEM's didn't do it like that. A little different mold for the IAC which they had to make anyways, some plastic tubing, and they could have saved on throttle body costs.

Or just molded them into the plastic IM's for that matter. The MAP sensors used to be separate from the IM on the 1980/1990's cars...

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: