2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange behavior in my 2001 R/T after header install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3Bar_Mopar
Strapping Young Lad
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Strange behavior in my 2001 R/T after header install Reply with quote

Ok, so I bought an OBX long tube and went and installed it. I don't have the rest of the exhaust yet, so it's loud AF.

Pulled the stock stuff off and realized that A. Stock SOHC manifold and B/. Not a mag head. Pretty bummed out about it. Don't know if there's a mag cam in there or not....I'm leaning toward not since the springs would need to be magnum....it does have the active intake and the R/T computer though.

So I installed the header, pulled the rest of the exhaust down and plugged off the rear most 02 bung since I didn't feel like extending the downstream 02 wires. I get a CEL, but no biggie.

All was OK until I drove about 140 miles out of town to a car meet. (I used earplugs) The way there was fine....when I was there the car was fine...although I felt like the car has been sluggish....I attributed it to the warm weather we'd had and the winter gas.

On the way back....made it almost the entire way and then the car would bog badly and fart and pop with more than half throttle. I babied it, but it got worse...anything more than a quarter throttle made the car bog. The car idled normally and didn't die when stopped. I made it to my buddies house and shut it off, half scared it was the fuel pump and it wouldn't restart.

The car fired back up and I took off toward home, about 15 minutes away...but I stopped and got gas first. Still using 93.

The car ran better than it has since I'd owned it.....all kinds of power....you can feel it pull and it pulls nicely in 5th from 70 to whatever. The torque is nice and flat...no flat spots like before. Before, when you floor it in 2nd, it would just get louder and seem to flatten out....it pulled harder at half throttle.

The car still runs amazingly and has since....no hiccups or any issues. Took a new style Camaro RS to 120 mph the other day and he couldn't pull me....Neon just pulls.

What the hell happened?? I stopped at a really sketch Phillips 66 in the town I was at before I left...maybe bad gas?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is running OK now?

Did you unplug the 1/2 o2 sensor, or leave it plugged in and tie wrapped out of harms way?

I have been running for a few years now on the '99 with the 1/2 o2 sensor not there, and it runs fine. It only shows the code for the lack of the sensor, and seems to go no further checking the other missing parts, like there is no EGR system. I get nothing for that, just one code for the downstream o2.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
INVUJerry
UNO MOD!
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be very possible that you have garbage in the tank and as you ran it, it picked it up. Then as you let the car sit the garbage went away from the pick up sock. And now that you filled it, it got disbursed some more.

Also, when you put an exhaust back on the neon you will notice a flat spot again around 4K RPM's like it had before, just a little less. My recommendation is to use the turn piece from the header and then run a 3" exhaust from there back. It will be your best bet at keeping performance. If you want it quieter do whatever you'd prefer but you will have a dip at 4K if you dyno it.

Also, try to get your hands on a Syked ECU to take advantage of the higher RPM's.

R/T heads can be found and it would be noticeable for you. A crane 14, a syked ECU and an SAFC would change that car very much.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
3Bar_Mopar
Strapping Young Lad
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's possible!

I was planning on one of those ebay 2.5" systems with a different muffler to quiet it down....I'm not looking for stupid high HP since it's my daily but a Crane 14 and mag head, syked ECU is def in the plans....I had a similar setup on my 1st gen with a 2gn plastic intake. I def think I'm going to swap on a non-mag intake....I can tell a pretty decent difference when the mag intake gets heat-soaked.

INVUJerry wrote:
It could be very possible that you have garbage in the tank and as you ran it, it picked it up. Then as you let the car sit the garbage went away from the pick up sock. And now that you filled it, it got disbursed some more.

Also, when you put an exhaust back on the neon you will notice a flat spot again around 4K RPM's like it had before, just a little less. My recommendation is to use the turn piece from the header and then run a 3" exhaust from there back. It will be your best bet at keeping performance. If you want it quieter do whatever you'd prefer but you will have a dip at 4K if you dyno it.

Also, try to get your hands on a Syked ECU to take advantage of the higher RPM's.

R/T heads can be found and it would be noticeable for you. A crane 14, a syked ECU and an SAFC would change that car very much.

INVUJerry
UNO MOD!
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3Bar_Mopar wrote:
That's possible!

I was planning on one of those ebay 2.5" systems with a different muffler to quiet it down....I'm not looking for stupid high HP since it's my daily but a Crane 14 and mag head, syked ECU is def in the plans....I had a similar setup on my 1st gen with a 2gn plastic intake. I def think I'm going to swap on a non-mag intake....I can tell a pretty decent difference when the mag intake gets heat-soaked.

INVUJerry wrote:

Even if the intake gets heat soaked the powerband is worth it to keep it.

An eBay 2.5" exhaust with a fart can is actually a 60mm exhaust. If you want a cheap exhaust get a trubendz kit. Or an eBay 3" with a good muffler.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Naturally Aspirated All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: