2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

crankshaft and 3/8 socket extension problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: crankshaft and 3/8 socket extension problem Reply with quote

scenario: pulling crankshaft pulley with chrysler tool & universal tool.

chrysler puller popped the first bit of distance

universal puller with medium length 3/8 extension pulled the pulley the rest of the way off. if you been around cars decently then you kinda can guess what my problem is.

hopefully nuff said cause i feel like a retard already. can i pull the extension out of the crank or is it new crank time?

rob....... cussing
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You problem is, you didn't use a 1/4 extension.

Very Happy

Even a mild steel 5/16" round stock works once the pulley is partially off. Never try to start it without the hardened rod. I have pretzel'ed the round stock inside the crank, and almost had a situation, because it had nothing sticking out of the hole to grab. I learned to use the too short rod first...

So is it still stuck in there? Can you get it to turn to maybe "unthread"?

It may not be a total loss, if you can get the extension out. The bolt is mainly there as a secondary means of keeping the damper retained.

As long as the pulley/damper is still press fit, it isn't coming off on it's own.

You can try tapping the crank if the threads too mangled.

The only downside if the extension can't be removed, is getting the pulley back on, or if the crank timing gear needs removed, to get it reinstalled. At that point, it might be crank replacement time, or 2.4 swap time, depending on which method is more cost/time effective.

Pounding the damper back on is not the best thing for the thrust bearing. You may do more harm than good.

If it is still stuck, maybe use a large pair of vice grips, and smack them with a hammer like trying to loosen a bolt, to try to jar it loose.

I have a large carriage bolt I use to push against, and the first time it wasn't ground enough at the head and stuck in there. A large flat blade and a hammer got it to pop out.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when this 'issue' used to come up occasionally, on 'The.Org'.
I haven't heard of anyone doing this in a long time. Sad But No.... A socket Extension, should never be used for crank pulley removal.

The 'proper' tool that Chrysler dealers use, from Miller Tool, is very affordable. ( Part number 6827A.)

Short of that -- Here is a really slick trick that someone on 'The.Org' came up with:
https://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?p=2919152#p2919152

That's for removing the pulley with a proper 5-ton puller.
I'm posting this 'for future reference'..... for the next time. Now, you'll need to get the socket extension out of there. Sad

For removing the extension .... I would try what Occasional said.
How long is the extension ?? Did you use a 3 in. extension, or a 6 in. extension ??
If the square end is still on the end for getting a ratchet on it... I would try 'unthreading' it from out of the crank snout carefully, with some help from a friend.

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
robertwilk1991
yea v8s are nice but
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extension is 6 inches, yeah the ratchet hole is still there but it won't unthread, ( even tried impact gun.....) I'm in Ohio at the moment cause I drive 18 wheelers but will give another 'whack" at it when I get a chance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: