2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to the Dodge Neon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikto
Fresh Fish

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: New to the Dodge Neon Reply with quote

So about two weeks ago I bought a used 2004 Dodge neon SXT and it was yellow with black racing stripes. I like it, the car ran but it was a window buy (look at a used car? Why would I do that?!) and the car was really messed up (oil in the spark plugs, sounded like a truck, oil leaks like no tomorrow, MPG was shit).

So far I've: Changed head gasket (common problem I was told in neons), actually put cyclinders in (only one was IN the engine others were just held by cover), changed park plugs (more oil in them than in the oil pan...), changed engine mounts(cracked and could hear my engine moving), timing belt (had no idea if it was changed or not, better safe than sorry), serpentine belt, other belt (cant remember name), added new air filter, changed oil and filter (previous owner put wrong oil filter which fixed the leak and he never tightened the oil drain bolt), water pump, radio (only thing not stock right now). I think there was more but I was surprised the car started, its a very happy neon now, all I need to do now is change the control arms and the struts.

I don't know if that was too much for an introduction but there it is. I am learning how to replace and move stuff, take out, take in from my friend, he's been helping me through the process, I've learned a lot and I actually really like working on my car. I just don't have a good amount of tools or space to work with. I bought the car with 123K miles on it, its right now 124K miles so I only have had it for a week or two... I want to keep this car for as long as possible 300K at least.
thomas_w
2GN Registrant

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. You can create a project log with lots of pictures since you are planning on keeping the car for a while.
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Thomas about your starting a Progress Log. Welcome to 2gn! Good to know another Neon is finally receiving well-deserved TLC.
kikto
Fresh Fish

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Actually forgot I had to do an engine alignment because when I got the mechanic to put my mounts in, he never did it! I'm so glad I'm slowly learning to do everything myself, I never realized how much money you can save and how much fun it is, I won't lie, I stayed up until 6am once to figure out why my oil was leaking the second time, I wasn't even mad at how late it was. I will post pictures once it gets nice and bright over here.
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! and great job bringing back a relatively young and neglected neon!

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #61

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
2014 Durango R/T Hemi (the wife's)
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

occasional demons wrote:

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=27024&highlight=spark+plug+tubes

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=33520&highlight=spark+plug+tubes

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=29971&highlight=spark+plug+tubes

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=20300&highlight=spark+plug+tubes

Etc. etc. .... ROFL

Head gaskets are mainly an issue with the earlier 1st gen neons. They tried to carry the composite HG design from the 2.2/2.5 over to the 2.0/2.4.

Also some early 2.0's didn't have some head bolt holes drilled/taped quite deep enough, and they leaked due to insufficient clamping force. But this was mostly near the oil passage, and it weeped oil from the back of the engine, vs leaking compression/coolant.

After ~1998, all neons came with the MLS gasket and had very little problems.

But the stigma of those first few years has haunted them since.

The main reason you would get an HG failure now, other than the occasional failure - just because, is if it was overheated, and an warped the head.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself! All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: