2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decisions Decisions. Help me decide!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Decisions Decisions. Help me decide! Reply with quote

Looking to get yet ANOTHER SRT-4. Need opinions.

I have 2 I am interested in. A 05 stone white in Omaha. 106k miles (3 1/2hr drive)

And a 03 Silver in Illinois (6 1/2 hr drive)

Link to the white one and info:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/5632818859.html

Younger kid owns it probably early 20's. Supposedly owned it for 3 years.
Its white and I really want a white one. Looks really clean. He sent me pictures of the "keyed" portion and its really light on the rear passenger door.

He said it has a bogging issue. He put new spark plugs recently in and said it ran worse. Then he got a CEL for an 02 sensor. Just replaced that yesterday and said it runs horrible. He said he never reset the PCM. So I told him to do that so he did that today and put the old plugs in (NGK Iridiums he had put NGK Copper 4306's in there AND reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery.) So now he says it runs great. But I told him to drive it for a good 50 miles or so to make sure it is.

Car has the factory timing belt/waterpump/tensioner etc. He said he has not touched any of the suspension since he has owned it. Cars transmission is supposedly perfect and he has provided paperwork via images. Has lots of performance goodies.

Then there is the silver one
Guy is the original owner. Car looks stock. He is older around 35 years old. Got a Jeep and doesn't drive it anymore. It is up to date on maintenance with paper work. He had a local shop do all the mods and work to the vehicle.
Rotors and pads in 2015
Boomba fuel rail, catch can and solid mounts, 70mm TB
Mopar Stage 2
DCR 4th mount
MPX full exhaust
BC coilovers and camber plates
SotuhBend S3 clutch
Bwoody traction bars and hbrace
DCR pro axles
All poly bushings Hotchkis sway bars
Extra set of Enkei wheels and new tires too...

He said the car runs perfect. $6500 too....

But here is the kicker....

I asked him how it shifts going WOT. He said he has never floored it before.. He said his wife makes fun of him. His reasoning, "I have always liked making things go fast to know I can go fast. Most of my mods was to one up my buddy in his Mustang GT" He said "He never felt the need to floor it"

ROFL ROFL

What do you guys think? I am leaning towards to 03, I know it doesn't have the LSD, but man...Get a lot of car for the money and seems to be adult owned and taken care of.

2005 Neon SRT-4 #6 and WILL STAY
2008 TL Type S
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been more "apples-to-apples" if you had pics of the silver one also but, sight unseen, the silver one would probably be a better bet since it is "adult owned."

My mods have been just to have as much as I could afford from the Mopar Performance catalog, not to go fast or race so I can understand the reasoning of the owner of the silver one.

You can always install an LSD on an '03. Wink
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Love white but, to me, this is almost a no brainer. White car is more expensive with more mods (read potentially beat) and doesn't run right. Silver one is the original owner with up to date shop maintenance WITH paperwork. Not to mention it has all the mods I would want to do plus extra set of wheels... I would go with the silver one too.

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=66496
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna agree with everyone else here. i like the white and it looks good but with the way that owner sounds i would shy away from that.

Its hard to beat a original owner, documented, and maintained car. with all the mods and extras on that..

I agree with gramps just install the LSD after.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #61

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
2014 Durango R/T Hemi (the wife's)
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies guys.

In all honesty the LSD really isn't needed. There are very fast SRT-4's out there without it and do just fine. More of a roadcourse/auto-x advantage. Probably helps in snow too.

The white one has paper work for all the transmission work that was done in the listing. But I believe you guys are right on choosing the silver. It just threw me off when he said he has never floored it. It has Bwoody bars for crying out loud!

Pictures of the silver:

2008 TL Type S
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rear shot he sent me...Seriously..never has floored it with plates like that?

2008 TL Type S
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt know how you could not floor it in a car like this. but i guess he wasnt kidding about modding to one up his mustang friend!!

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he may not really need to push it totally to the floor. Maybe only 95% of the way does just as much. Wink

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
theColonel
Older 'n Dirt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely would buy the one owner car ... I remember looking for a SRT-4 ( I bought mine in November 2009 ). There was a lot of ragged-out junk
out there then, and I'm sure it's even worse 6 1/2 years later.

1952 Chevrolet Stylene Sport Coupe
2005 Dodge SRT-4
Midnight_Rider

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original owner is the way to go (okay, I'm prejudiced since I'm the original owner of my SRT Laughing ).

There were already riced-out used SRTs back in 2005 when I seriously started looking to buy. It is certainly worse now. cussing
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not leaning towards any of them right now.
White one has more issues coming up, Silver one has sat for a long time and have a feeling I wouldn't enjoy it.

Back to the drawing board.

2008 TL Type S
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well good luck on finding more!

Just out of curiosity what do you mean you have a feeling you wouldn't enjoy it?

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
Midnight_Rider

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueneo03 wrote:
Just out of curiosity what do you mean you have a feeling you wouldn't enjoy it?

+1
theColonel
Older 'n Dirt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueneo03 wrote:

+2

2005 Dodge SRT-4
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #15   PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid mounts all around including the 4th mount. Not sure it would be a good daily driver.

I feel it will come cluttered with issues and the fact he has never floored it. Makes no sense at all.

I just feel he is lying to me about a lot of things. I really do wish it was closer though. 400 miles each way is no joke.

2008 TL Type S
Midnight_Rider

Post: #16   PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
I really do wish it was closer though. 400 miles each way is no joke.

True... I drove 360 miles one-way to buy my SRT sight unseen. Shocked
theColonel
Older 'n Dirt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post: #17   PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Solid mounts all around including the 4th mount. Not sure it would be a good daily driver.

I feel it will come cluttered with issues and the fact he has never floored it. Makes no sense at all.

I just feel he is lying to me about a lot of things. I really do wish it was closer though. 400 miles each way is no joke.

I'd be suspicious of a car that had solid motor mounts. When I first got my car I was shocked at how fast it got to redline. The rev limiter really makes a lot of unpleasant noises.
I found that I got better results shifting between 4 and 5 thousand rpms. There's not much benefit in going past the peak torque, but it's fun Smile

2005 Dodge SRT-4
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #18   PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Ya i have noticed that when i rev past 5500 it makes shifting much harder and it i hit over 6 i have to let the motor slow down before i can do so... but it sounds so nice up there!

I can understand if you are DDing being wary of solid mounts, this is kinda why i didnt reinstall my inserts( but i had a toasted center engine mount last time i tried so that could be part of it) it was loud.

IIRC tho, isnt part throttle better than full throttle with the Stock TB(SRT may be different tho)

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #19   PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimum throttle position depends greatly on engine rpm and load.

My '01 shifts fine as it hits the rev limiter, which happens easily with the 60mm TB. It is still pulling at 6750, and the rev limit can become a bit of an annoyance in the lower gears.

With the 60, WOT is really only useful from ~6000 to cut off. Or if you want to scare small children and animals when doing 25 MPH in fifth gear. It makes a low rumbling sound, but that's about all. But geese and dogs don't like it.

Keep in mind, I don't have the factory IM on it either. My manifold inlet is somewhere in the 2.75" range. Not the choke point of the factory IM.

But back to the topic. If the guy has truly never opened it up, all those mods he has done are basically untested. You could have $10,000 in mods, but if you've never put them to the test, this thing could fall on it's face, vs actually run like it has the $$$ invested.

You could end up with a pile of parts that don't function unless you drive it like a grandma who is deathly afraid to break 15 mph.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #20   PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way he didn't floor it. Why buy that car if you didn't intend to do it at least once? At 400 miles away, I would pass. I feel as if it wasn't what you wanted and you drove that far, it is sooo much harder to turn down (trust me, I have been there and done that).

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=66496
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #21   PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducktapetg wrote:
There is no way he didn't floor it. Why buy that car if you didn't intend to do it at least once? At 400 miles away, I would pass. I feel as if it wasn't what you wanted and you drove that far, it is sooo much harder to turn down (trust me, I have been there and done that).

I personally would floor it and have fun with it. He just supposedly hasn't.

Just his story doesn't make much sense and it actually upsets me to the point where I don't want his car.

Quote:
But back to the topic. If the guy has truly never opened it up, all those mods he has done are basically untested. You could have $10,000 in mods, but if you've never put them to the test, this thing could fall on it's face, vs actually run like it has the $$$ invested.

That is true. I mean he had a Boomba fuel rail put on. there is no benefit with that unless you plan on doing a return line in the future. It has a huge Boomba TB which is known to have issues. Bwoody traction bars too....of everything... WHY>???????? bandhead bandhead

There was a local who had a Stage 1 SRT-4. He put one of those huge Modern Performance intercoolers on it and their big TB. Re-dynod and only gained 3 whp. He wasn't happy at all and expected more.

2008 TL Type S
theColonel
Older 'n Dirt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post: #22   PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
I personally would floor it and have fun with it. He just supposedly hasn't.

Just his story doesn't make much sense and it actually upsets me to the point where I don't want his car.

There was a local who had a Stage 1 SRT-4. He put one of those huge Modern Performance intercoolers on it and their big TB.
Re-dynod and only gained 3 whp. He wasn't happy at all and expected more.

withstupid ... when you're suspicious of the seller, get away quick !

2005 Dodge SRT-4
Midnight_Rider

Post: #23   PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had people snicker about my modding only with Mopar parts but, after reading some of the recent comments, I'm glad that I did.

I hope that a good one turns up for you soon. thumbup
acanais88
Fresh Fish

Post: #24   PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: 197.158.85.51 Reply with quote

But we can still have all the details of the story, because there we are, rather lost of the neon.
Midnight_Rider

Post: #25   PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^I really dislike spambots quoting me while hiding a link in the text. cussing
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #26   PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight_Rider wrote:
^^I really dislike spambots quoting me while hiding a link in the text. cussing

Link removed.

Added a little banned member history to it. Razz

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #27   PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. thumbup
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #28   PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: