2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low compression in all cylinders, car doesnt start at all

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neon_newbie
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Low compression in all cylinders, car doesnt start at all Reply with quote

I don't usually post but I'am completely stumped.....
A few weeks ago my car was in an attempted theft. they werent able to get away with car due to killswitch (05 Neon). as far as i could tell all
they damaged was door lock and ignition cylinder was torn out....
i took it to my regular mechanic and according to him, entire engine needs to be replaced (?). He says something is wrong with pistons, all 4 cylinders have low compression (60, 90, 50, 80). He had to get it started with a screwdriver (?). When i went to turn car on, nothing but the dash lights came on. No clicking, no turning over, no sound from anything. So I have no idea what happened. How just a broken ignition cylinder turned into a $3000 job is quite frustrating. Especially when if there's been a compression problem this whole time, wouldn't the check engine light have come on? It turns on with rest of dash lights when ignition switch I just recently took it to emissions last month to renew registration and it passed. I've heard from a few people that it doesn't make sense and that there could be one or multiple issues wrong: pistons, piston rings, head gasket, timing belt, or entire ignition system. So if there is anyone out there that has any idea what is going, your input is greatly appreciated.
1998 Dodge Neon (R.I.P)
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles does it have? It is possible the timing belt has slipped, purely by coincidence.

Have you tried keying on three times to see what codes may be displayed on the odometer?

Just to on, not to the start position. On - On - On

You will probably need a screwdriver since that's how the tech had to crank it, although they could have just jumped the starter relay for the compression test.

It may not crank over, due to the key not being close enough to the SKIM antenna in the ign lock, or they may have broken the antenna. The PCM has probably locked out the starter.

Any good mechanic would have known that's probably why it wasn't starting, as a first step in diagnosis.

Trying to start it via a screw driver would definitely lock out the coil/injectors/starter. You can place (tape) the key at the column and switch the ignition on with a screwdriver, attach a battery charger, and leave it keyed on for about an hour to reset the PCM so it will crank again.

But if you get a P0340 or any P034x codes to begin with, the timing belt may have snapped or slipped. As long as the battery has not been disconnected, all the codes, if any should still be there, it won't require cranking to reset any codes.

If the SKIM antenna was damaged, it won't reset. You would need to get a replacement antenna. I don't know if they are plug and play, or if they need programmed to the key. Someone more familiar will need to chime in on that.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: