2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 2002 R/T Project

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: My 2002 R/T Project Reply with quote

So I haven't been active on here in a few years, but I've been around for a while. I started with a 2002 S Package Neon in March of 2002. After that, I have had a 1996 base sedan, 2005 SRT ACR, and a 1999 R/T coupe.

Just this week, I picked up a super clean 2002 R/T for two grand. I bought it from the second owner, who is related to the first owner. Both were middle-aged guys, so the car's never been beaten or modified. It has 103K on it and a clean title.

It's fully loaded. Leather, sunroof, CD changer, everything. There's only a couple shallow dings, and a tiny bit of rust around the passenger taillight, which is odd for a West coast car. I'm going to get rid of that soon, before it spreads. It has a noisy rocker arm, and the OEM clutch and timing belt remain intact. Before I start driving the thing regularly, I'm going to change the timing belt, water pump, and all the rocker arms. It should be good to go for another 100K as long as I keep it full of good fluids.

Project Log: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70076

Last edited by JeremyJ on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is build number five for me, I've weeded out a lot of parts that I don't deem necessary, and I've picked some favorites over the years. As with most of my build threads, here are my plans as of right now:

red = in my possession/installed

Engine/Trans:
New (Hemi Orange) block assembly
New valves
New rockers
New timing components
All new gaskets and hardware
Head shaved .030"
Ported and polished head
Mildly ported intake manifold
Wrinkle black valve cover and intake
AC delete
180 degree t-stat
Custom CAI with K&N filter
Luk PT clutch
Mopar Short shifter
Boogers
Torque Solutions motor mounts
Taylor ThunderVolt plug wires

Dry battery
Weight reduction so far = 30 pounds

Wheels/Suspension:
BC Coilovers w/ rear camber plates
Greystones

16x7 SBC RPF1 (or something else)
Lighweight lugs
PWerks tri-point strut tower brace (at least rear, maybe both)
Polyurethane Bushings
Short rear end links
DCR adjustable rear control arms
Weight reduction so far = 26.8 pounds

Interior:
Paint-matched SRT shift knob
6.5" Infinity door speakers
MPx door panel fix kit
Raptor shift light

New OEM mats
Leather shift boot
HVAC delete bezel
LED's
Bluetooth stereo

Exterior:
Tinted reverse lights
Paint-matched side markers
Chrome coated amber turn signal bulbs
Custom carbon fiber grill emblem
Partial debadge
Grey R/T badges
Racoon eyes
Fog light delete

Wingless trunklid swap
Lip spoiler
Carbon or fiberglass hood

Brakes:
EBC or Hawk rotors
EBC or Hawk pads
Stainless lines
Maybe a PT brake swap
RED PAINT BECAUSE RACE DAILY

I think that's it for now. I'm sure things will change. You may have noticed that I haven't listed many power adders. I have two reasons for that.

1. I'm old.
2. I've done enough with two liters to know that they're doomed to be slow, no matter how much money you throw at them. If/when I get bored with it or the engine breaks, I'm going to do a full SRT swap on it. The swap tends to be an exponentially more reliable way to boost these cars. Plug and play.

Last edited by JeremyJ on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:59 pm; edited 45 times in total
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeremyJ wrote:

1. I'm old.

ROFL

It only gets "better". Very Happy

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please- more pics of this beauty. thumbup
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liking the plans on this one. im in for more pics as well as the mods to follow.

I kinda get what you mean by "old"

Im only 26 but i feel worlds older in my modification desires from when i was 16.. i know that is kinda standard tho..

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #61

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
JeremyJ wrote:

1. I'm old.

ROFL

It only gets "better". Very Happy

I had a feeling someone would call me out on that. It's more of a mentality. I just bought my second house, wife's pregnant with our third kid, this is my fifth Neon...I think I'm older than the average kid out there who modifies cheap, four cylinder cars.

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're "seasoned". Very Happy

Old is, well, OLD. Old means your wife wouldn't be pregnant, because the damn thing just don't work anymore, and you might break a hip trying. ROFL

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered:

Mopar intake and exhaust rocker sets
Timing belt
PCI mechanical tensioner
Water pump
Boogers
PS2 spray paint

Project DD is officially moving forward.

JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pictures of the car right now.

I have no clue what these mats were originally from. A new set of OEM mats is on my list.

I've never had a Neon with cruise control before. I had no idea that the AC is different in cruise cars than in all the others. This is super weird to me.

Here's my only worry spot on the body. I've never had a rusty Neon before, so this is odd to me. Most of it is on the very edge, so it should be pretty easy to sand off, touch up the paint, and remain fairly discreet.

The rims are in pretty good shape. There's a fair amount of curb rash on the fronts. I'm probably going to end up painting these before I can get a set of RPF1's on it.

Tonight, I reset the computer to get rid of the P0171 code, just to see if it comes back on its own. It just randomly showed up the other day and it seems to be running fine. I checked all my vacuum lines and disconnected the downstream O2, then reconnected it.

I had the front bumper off, just to check out the crash bar and make sure it wasn't hiding any damage. Everything looked good. My fog lights won't turn on and both bulbs look fine. The wiring looks alright, too. I'm thinking it's the MFS. Add that to the list. While I had the bumper off, I removed the resonator from the driver's fender, just in case I decide to pony up for a CAI in the future. I like the way they sound.

While I was cleaning up the engine bay a little, I also rerouted my throttle and CC cables under the intake manifold. Kind of a poor man's wire tuck. It was suggested by others, so I'm giving it a shot. If I experience any sort of binding or other complications from it, I'll pull them back out. I think it looks alright.

Last edited by JeremyJ on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I want that interior! I love the leather seats.

This thing looks really clean overall i think it will look really nice with the RPF1's on there

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #61

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that they changed the A/C plumbing due to Speed Control. My '01 has the receiver/drier in the inner fender hole. I added the Speed Control solenoid, and there were no clearance issues. If anything, there is more room.

It may have been a running model year change. I think all the newer (2003 up) have that style of A/C plumbing.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your center bezel cries out to be replaced with the faux Quotes woodgrained Quotes BUX one. Yes, I'm weird but I think that the BUX bezel goes really well with the leather.
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
I don't know that they changed the A/C plumbing due to Speed Control. My '01 has the receiver/drier in the inner fender hole. I added the Speed Control solenoid, and there were no clearance issues. If anything, there is more room.

It may have been a running model year change. I think all the newer (2003 up) have that style of A/C plumbing.

I've never seen another Neon with the AC like this. If it weren't for the Chrysler-looking part numbers and super clean install, I'd think it was aftermarket. It's seriously weird.

EDIT: I did a quick search and found a 2003 Neon with the cruise and AC set up just like this. I guess this was the factory setup for certain models. The more you know, right?

If my HVAC bezel ever changes, it'll be swapped to a black, AC delete bezel. As nice as AC is to have, I hardly use it and the 30+ pound weight reduction off the front end is super nice. I pulled it from my '99 R/T and I was amazed at how heavy that stuff is. I took a high performance driving school course in my old ACR a while back. Flying around the road course and passing Sti's was addicting. So even though this is a cheapo daily driver, I'm obsessed with weight transfer, balance, braking, and handling. It may not be fast, but it sure is fun to fly around corners and pretend it's a racecar.

Albius
2GN Registrant

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks outstanding!

Love the leather seats. Never had seen any set of them before, only in southamerican Neons. probably made in Argentina.

Looks really clean. Smile Hope to find some R/T eventually.
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it looks soooo right

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=66496
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #16   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look at home with the leather, but I'm still not a fan of fake wood.

ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #17   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it definitely doesn't look real haha

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=66496
INVUJerry
UNO MOD!
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge

Post: #18   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, well I understand you not wanting to mod the 2.0 too much, but a long tube, a milled head, a big cam (comp 400 or crane 14) along with a sykes ECU will make the car feel totally different. That's what I wanted to do to my 01, but after I found all the rust on the car I kind of gave up doing it. I'll do it to a 1gn daily later and just enjoy it.

I just bought my 11th neon recently, and I currently still have 4 of them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Midnight_Rider

Post: #19   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't take my faux wood bezel idea too seriously... I just like how it kind of jumps out at you since they weren't available here.
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #20   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dumped thousands into a SOHC before; every bolt-on, cam, race ported head, major weight reductions...it wasn't as fast as a stock SRT or even a mildly built B18 Honda. If I want to go fast, I'll do an SRT swap with some minor work and be done with it. The 2.0 really struggles to go over 200 FWHP, which costs a lot of money, and it's not my idea of fast. A tired, stock SRT swap will go faster, cost less, and be more reliable.

Having said all that, on the other .org, I came up with the idea to swap an entire SRT harness and manifolds onto a PT DOHC head and an NGC SOHC block with forged internals. One guy did something similar, but he didn't use the SRT manifolds and relied on aftermarket tuning. I've worked out a theoretical way to basically do a plug and play swap with a 2.0 block. Why? Less weight in the front and less torque in the lower RPM. Should reduce some understeer when exiting a tight corner at full throttle.

It's just a crazy idea. It may never happen, but it's fun to think about. Bottom line is that I don't want to build another NA 2.0. Period. Been there. Done that. Much disappoint.

INVUJerry
UNO MOD!
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge

Post: #21   PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where you're coming from. I guess I'm still okay with less in my neons since I have my SRT swapped LeBaron. I don't like that I have to shift out of 3rd at 5500 because the turbo is out of breath. I like carrying the RPM's as high as they'll go. My NYG is going to have a hefty 2.4 SOHC setup next year hopefully.

That being said an SRT PCM 2.0 would be really interesting, But you have to get a custom tune right off the bat since the SRT PCM uses a lot of advanced timing stock. I'm taking mid 30's to 40 degrees where a 2.0 stock uses 22 degrees. It would be interesting with a slightly larger turbo and cams so that it'll want to rev to 7k+.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #22   PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would also have to have the rev limiter changed to take advantage of the 2.0's ability to make a lot more RPM than the 2.4 factory rev limit.

Aren't the SRT's rev limited to around 6000 rpm?

With a 2.0, I would shoot myself in the head, if it constantly cut out at 6000 rpm. ROFL

6750 in my '01 is bad enough. The irony is my '99 is 7200, but I never even get close with the 2.4 swap.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #23   PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just plug it in to a stock SRT PCM at first and monitor ratios with a wideband. I could have the tune tweaked and the rev limit increased as needed. As sort of a bonus, Kevin Sykes lives about thirty minutes from me.

INVUJerry
UNO MOD!
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge

Post: #24   PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can monitor ratios all day, but the advanced timing will break the 2.0 long before you get the boost turned up. Kevin would be able to help you however. Just tell him you want a 2.0 timing map on your SRT PCM.

Stock SRT ecu's are limited to 6250, but you can raise it with a tuner. Any turbo or cams larger than stock will want to rev to 7500 easy.

JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #25   PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First change to the car. Something I do to almost all of my Neons. Subtle, clean, and incredibly cheap.

Last edited by JeremyJ on Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #26   PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boogers FTW

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #27   PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeremyJ wrote:
First change to the car. Something I do to all of my Neons. Subtle, clean, and incredibly cheap.

At first glance, I thought you put an export fascia on it.

And thought, "What the heck is expensive?" Shocked

Laughing

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #28   PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the idea. Except my "export fascia" was only ten bucks.

Midnight_Rider

Post: #29   PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
JeremyJ wrote:
First change to the car. Something I do to all of my Neons. Subtle, clean, and incredibly cheap.

At first glance, I thought you put an export fascia on it.

+1
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #30   PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference, here were my other two "export fascias".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Progress/Project Log All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: