2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help ASAP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hthroneberry92
n00b

2003 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Need help ASAP! Reply with quote

So, my neon decided it wanted to drink a puddle the other day. I took off the CAI and tookbout the spark plugs to get all the water out. Well, the problem I am having is that the starter doesn't seem to be making contact with the flywheel. I had the starter tested and it was good. Bendix isn't bent, flywheel is straight and it's getting power. Please help.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How badly did it take on water?

Have you removed the lower bellhousing inspection plate, and had a helper crank the starter, to see if the flexplate is not turning, or possibly it is turning, but the rest of the crank is not turning...

There was a member on here that was deaf, IIRC. He had trouble with his car starting. Once he got under there and began looking, there was a huge hole in the block where some of the internals had exited.

It was then that he figured out why the engine was not starting. But being deaf, he didn't have the sounds to tell him that something was horribly wrong. And the fact that it drove home the night before, also threw him a big curve.

You could even put a 19mm socket and ratchet on the crank pulley bolt, and move it while under there, and see if the flexplate moves with it.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
There was a member on here that was deaf, IIRC. He had trouble with his car starting. Once he got under there and began looking, there was a huge hole in the block where some of the internals had exited.

It was then that he figured out why the engine was not starting. But being deaf, he didn't have the sounds to tell him that something was horribly wrong. And the fact that it drove home the night before, also threw him a big curve.

Off-topic but is this the thread you mentioned?
http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=67067
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, It was another one. I think when they went to remove the starter, it was not quite where it should be positioned. The rod had gone through the block so hard it knocked the starter loose.

It may/may not have been a deaf person, I can't recall exactly now, been too long ago. But they somehow didn't realize that the starter wasn't connected anymore. Laughing

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Hthroneberry92
n00b

2003 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it repaired. The water barely got into the first cylinder. Checked all of them with a scope. Changed my oil and replaced the starter... Good as new. Pressed water out by taking out spark plugs and turning it over.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. Probably more coincidence with the starter than the water. I have drenched a few starters and have not had an issue.

If it sat for weeks with out being cranked, that might be another matter.

Plus it still motored, just didn't "engage".

I guess it could be slightly possible water hydro locked the solenoid, but that would have shown up in the test, and the water would have eventually been squeezed out.

The overrun clutch on the starter might have gone bad. It is something I doubt any machine load tests. They would need a machine that every starter ever made would bolt up to, and be able to accommodate all the starter pinion gears.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: