Where the hell this oil leak is coming from?

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Albius
2GN Member

Where the hell this oil leak is coming from?

Post by Albius » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:37 pm

Hi there.

I was on the shop the other day for a brake pads change for ceramic ones. They didn't have stock for the semi metallic that I used to choose.

Beneath my car I found this oil leak. I am not very sure where is coming from. Oil pan gasket was replaced 2 years ago.

I just switched to 10W30 oil as many of you guys suggested in another post. Can you give me possible locations of the leak?
Oil sending unit is dry.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/acvdXk41zCG7GFG38

https://photos.app.goo.gl/358jAVfp3En4e6QM8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iGGLT5AT3DhHubgH7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bTfLWj2wJL6iE8mu7

Thanks for your help guys!
..:: Albius ::..

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Where the hell this oil leak is coming from?

Post by occasional demons » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:48 pm

The simplest ones to check, would be the Cam Position Sensor, and then the valve cover gasket.

The CPS gasket is a fairly common leak, and it runs down between the bellhousing, making it appear like rear main seal leak.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:51 pm

Any word on what the results where?
My first thought was a rear main seal....

Albius
2GN Member

Post by Albius » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:31 pm

Sorry for the delay, guys.
No leaks for the Cam Sensor nor the valve cover:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... el1IKvhKdW

Unfortunately is more than obvious that the rear main seal is broken and this will be expensive as f*ck to repair.
In the same service workshop will do a tune up, timing belt/water pump/tensioner, rear main seal + front main seal to prevent leaks + camshaft seals for the same reason.
The clutch and cylinders were replaced about 4 years ago, so I don't know to replace it too and forget heavy maintenance for a while. The clutch has about 30k miles on it. Not sure for this :/
Now the lesson is learned and I will order to replace the rear main seal with every single clutch replacement and save me a headache.

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:37 am

You shouldn't need to replace the rear main seal ever again once its replaced. If the rear main seal blows out again, then you have more severe issues. If your due for a timing belt, then yes the other items are "recommended" while your in there.....
Timing belt, water pump, tensioner....it's best to do these three at the same time. While your in there, the only reason to change the cam seal(SOHC) or the front main seal is if they show signs of seepage or an actual leak. The cam seal and front main seal will require pulleys to be removed. The crank pulley is a bitch though.....
If the crank seal is not leaking, then just leave it alone....my two cents.....
The cam seal is easy since all you have to do is remove the cam pulley and pop the old seal out....
If on the front side, if there are no leaks, oil or antifreeze.... I wouldn't be to concerned unless the motor has the original timing belt and theres over 100,000 miles on the motor and its still the factory original parts....

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:16 pm

My 2001 has 210,000 on the front crank seal, and it's bone dry.

I replaced the rear main when I did the clutch the first time, just because. It was still soft and pliant.

My '99 had unknown miles; well over 200,000 on it's rear main, it started pouring oil one day. It was rock hard and looked like someone stuck a screwdriver in between the seal and the crank and left it there for 40,000 miles, then pulled it out. How it never leaked previous to that day, I have no clue, as it wasn't a deformation that happened overnight.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Albius
2GN Member

Post by Albius » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:24 pm

Ok. Probably leave alone the seals that actually are not leaking alone is a good option. Thanks for sharing your experiences to get a correct view of the things, guys!! :) As always this forum ROCKS!

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:28 am

Albius,
Sorry it took some time for some of us to reply......

Albius
2GN Member

Post by Albius » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:43 pm

No worries, BlackRoseRacing. I know everybody has a lot of things to do ;)

Return to “Engine”