2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

98 Dodge Neon Overheating/Not Starting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlitchReboot
n00b

Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: 98 Dodge Neon Overheating/Not Starting Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have a 98 Dodge Neon that started overheating and is now not starting at all. Moved harness to repair coolant temp sensor and saw massive wiring damage throughout. Repaired as needed. But we blew the PCM via a short (no 8volt out to CPS and CAM PS). Replaced PCM and have fully functioning sensors and auto shutdown relay. Fuel pump works, but still no ignition and injector response. Correct voltage and switching signal to connector at ignition coil. Running out of ideas, please advise! Thanks.
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all your fuses?

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #61

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
2014 Durango R/T Hemi (the wife's)
GlitchReboot
n00b

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that was one of the first things we checked.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 98 Dodge Neon Overheating/Not Starting Reply with quote

GlitchReboot wrote:
Correct voltage and switching signal to connector at ignition coil. .

Even though you have stated this, what are the wire colors at the coil plug?

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
GlitchReboot
n00b

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to have my friend that's working on it check tomorrow. I was talking to another friend that owns a repair shop, and he said it could be the PCM. We shorted the original one out, and ended up buying a used PCM from a U-Pull place. The friend informed me that it could be that the replacement PCM we got needs to be reprogrammed, in which case, he said only the dealer or a shop that has a specific computer/equipment could do the PCM reprogramming. So I was curious, is the reprogramming something we could do on our own? What exactly is required to do the reprogramming?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for VIN or SKIM flashing on a 1997 through 1999 PCM. Even a 1996 PCM should fire up the engine. You would not have any cooling fans with a '96 PCM though.

Only if 2000 to 2002 have optional SKIM, and 2003 up need the dealer/other services to make those work. So you are in the clear there.

You may possibly have a crank sensor/wiring issue if there is no spark or injector pulse. As long as the center wire for the coil connector is DG/OR, you have that right. (The CPS and coil connector will fit in either place.)

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: