2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Losing Power

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjdt1990
n00b

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Engine Losing Power Reply with quote

Details: 05 SXT automatic
new o2 sensors
new cat
new oil change and filter(looks like oil...no foreign liquids)
new transmission oil and filter
new spark plugs and wires
new crankshaft sensor

No codes
coolant has been at the same level

When accelerating(normal accel) from a stop the engine loses power in 2nd or 3rd gear(around 30-40 mph) white smoke comes out of exhaust...smells like burnt oil but after couple of seconds power returns and no problem. The problem seems to only happen at lower speeds <50 when accelerating

looks like oil is spiting out on the back side of engine but cant find anything around the valve cover, head, and oil sensor. looks like a war zone below the exhaust manifold

any help would be appreciated

Thank for your time
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil would have to be getting into the combustion chamber to create both the power loss, and the smoke. If it was only an oil leak hitting the exhaust, there would be no power loss.

Usually oil pooling in the intake manifold (from oil vapors pulled out of the valve cover via the PCV valve and condensing in the manifold) will do this under hard acceleration, and not an everyday occurrence.

There needs to be enough air moving in the manifold to suck the oil up into the runners, and this normally won't happen under normal acceleration. I imagine if there is enough oil getting in there, it could.

The other possibility is the intake valve seals are toast, and oil is getting sucked in there. The exhaust seals can also cause smoke, but they won't affect power, because it is after combustion. The exhaust seals usually only make smoke on cold start up, or start up after it has sat a bit, not once it has ran for a while.

The oil running down below the manifold could just be unburned oil leaking out of the manifold. You could pull the o2 sensor to see if it is covered or dry.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Mitzrayim
n00b

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update...i took intake hose off and there was oil in there so do i just replace pcv valve
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's got to be more to the situation!
Oil in the intake hose on a stock setup is normal. But if your burning noticeable smoke out the tailpipe it leads me to believe you need new valve seals or you have a blown head gasket Rolling Eyes
akirony
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about rings? I'm changing mine soon because I can't register anymore lol (tickets) but will be using the best of the opportunity to strip the motor for power.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worn out rings will also allow oil in the combustion chamber, and a loss in power.

Oil in the intake manifold is normal, IDK about a lot of oil in the bellows tube. Mine was relatively dry, as where the IM had a pond in there.

The PCV nipple is after the bellows tube, so the air flowing inward will keed the oil vapors from going up the tube for the most part.

If there is a lot of oil coming out of the air makeup nipple in the vavle cover, from excessive piston ring blowby, it can on a stock set up, saturate the air box and potentially the air filter with oil, and it can be drawn in through the throttle body.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
tjdt1990
n00b

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update..... pcv valve didnt help also replaced tps,map,and coolant sensor
I also came across a forum that talked about the transmission causing the problem. They said when accelerating and the engine loses power shift over to neutral. If the power returns then there is something wrong with the transmission
Mitzrayim
n00b

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update....It Was A Blown Head Gasket Between 2 And 3
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #9   PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OD, yeah total brain fart on my end. The bellows tube is dry in a stock setup....

Mitzrayim wrote:
Update....It Was A Blown Head Gasket Between 2 And 3

If it's blown between 2 and 3, you better make sure the cylinder head is not warped Shocked
You may need to get it shaved a lil to make sure the surface is perfectly flat. Or you can do the common lick and stick by pulling the head up just enough to swap out the gasket and hope for no further issues.
The proper way though, would be to remove the head completely and check the surface with a straight edge to make sure the head is not warped. In some cases you may need to get it shaved a lil bit to make sire you have a nice flat level surface before reassembly. I never had that issue with my 2.0 SOHC motors but I know my brother had a major issue with his 2.4 head.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaving an OHC head will not help the cam bores if it is warped.

The proper way is to take it to a shop that can de-warp heads by heating them.

That way the cam bores will all be aligned correctly.

If it is warped enough that the cam binds with it unbolted, and you mill it, there is no saving it, other than de warping it, and milling even more off afterwards.

Depending on overall expense, it may be cheaper to get a JY head.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #11   PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally forgot about the cam journals Tard Bang
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Just wanted to be sure no one scrapped a head. Very Happy

Always remove the rockers and turn the cam by hand, to be sure it turns easily before milling.

It may turn with the head torqued down, but not necessarily when the head is unbolted. If it is different when unbolted, it is a very good chance it's warped.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should also be able to remove the cam and run a straight edge through there also to make sure everything is straight. But you'll also be able to tell by the wear of the cam journals.
Mitzrayim
n00b

Post: #14   PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me what you think.....some pics(maybe don't know how image uploading works)
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/2uRNsjaLIWeZO1wm2[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/aRd0f25jLNt3pzi73[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/j1T7ETUCEAdnFYBO2[/img]
I got a new head because it was cheaper than sending it to the shop<did it already with a different neon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: