Un-CAI-ing my car...

Have a question about how to make horsepower going the all motor route, here's where to ask it.
Ifixyawata
2GN Member

Un-CAI-ing my car...

Post by Ifixyawata » Sun May 14, 2006 6:14 pm

On two separate occasions when it's been wet outside, my car has refused to stay running when I started it, since I've put this CAI on. It was as if the filter got damp and it couldn't pull enough air in. Plus, I'm really not sure I wanna risk the whole hydrolocking thing for a $40 piece of aluminum.

So, my question is, can I reinstall the stock airbox and filter without using the big resonator piece that goes down into the fender? I'd just use the stock box, filter, and elbow (minus resonator box). This would probably greatly decrease any risk of pulling up water, etc, correct?

fireantz
2GN Member

Post by fireantz » Sun May 14, 2006 6:24 pm

Yes you can do that and it will eliminate chances of water. You could also just take out the part of your CAI that goes into the fender and just put the filter right on the TB.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2217253
Sold my neon a while back.

Ifixyawata
2GN Member

Post by Ifixyawata » Sun May 14, 2006 6:35 pm

The filter that came with the CAI is of a very cheap quality, plus, I just recently bought a new stock filter, so I may just put the box back in it's place. This should eliminate any potential dealership-warranty work problems, too.

EmersonHart13
2GN Member

Post by EmersonHart13 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:26 pm

The dealership cannot deny work because of an intake, there is a law about that... :D

John

J-Villa
2GN Veteran

Post by J-Villa » Sun May 14, 2006 9:33 pm

i have my stock intake system back in without the fender resonator bull crap...works fine
Wanna Sell Me Your 2gn??
Official I sold my Neon Member #004

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Sun May 14, 2006 10:16 pm

if thats the route you go though, id suggest getting (or making) a hard bellows pipe replacement, and putting the k&n filter in place.... and maybe mod the airbox to use with a 60mm t/b.... i was considering this but i like the sound of the intake way too much to silence it

J-Villa
2GN Veteran

Post by J-Villa » Sun May 14, 2006 10:22 pm

you don't need to mod the box for a 60mm tb....fits right in...just needs to tap the holes in the tb and then it just bolts up like stock
Wanna Sell Me Your 2gn??
Official I sold my Neon Member #004

Ifixyawata
2GN Member

Post by Ifixyawata » Mon May 15, 2006 12:37 am

I have a couple left over exhaust pieces from my t-bird's duals I can use (2.5") to make a hard bellows tube. BUT... when the engine 'torques' back and forth, where is the flexibility that the tube once provided? Might the ridgidity of the pipe and the movement of the engine cause the couplers on the solid short tube to come loose?

I'm definitely thinking of getting this CAI taken off tommorow. It rained like a bitch today and the car did the start-stall thing for me about 5 times. Hell, for a while it wouldn't even start up, I had to hold the throttle down a bit like I was driving an old truck.

bigbird
2GN Member

Post by bigbird » Mon May 15, 2006 7:16 am

I was thinking of using something along the lines of a big radiator hose instead of a hard tube. This would allow flex and still flow better!
Everytime it dings someone in your county does a ricer flyby.

Neons are just smart like that... heydockyle

lolelectricbluesxt
2GN Member

Post by lolelectricbluesxt » Mon May 15, 2006 9:48 am

Ifixyawata wrote: It rained like a bitch today and the car did the start-stall thing for me about 5 times. Hell, for a while it wouldn't even start up, I had to hold the throttle down a bit like I was driving an old truck.
I have this problem about every two weeks. I kid you not. Dosnt matter what the weather is like. Super dry outside, or wet. It first started with about less then 100 miles on the engine, and it's been doing it about every two weeks for the last half year.

When it happens, it's like the fuel injection system isnt working, and i have to give it gas just to start up. Kinda weird. I took it to the dealership, they said since there isnt a code in the computer, and since they cant replicate the problem, there is nothing they can do.

dinetuner
2GN Member

Post by dinetuner » Mon May 15, 2006 7:49 pm

swap your horn relay with the starter relay...lolEB
bad01neon wrote: obviously the 10 year old consented, so its ok lol :lol:

SolarYNeon
2GN Member

Bypass Valve

Post by SolarYNeon » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:25 pm

Just get a bypass valve. If that doesn't solve the problem, I guess you're SOL and it could be something else.

To answer anyones question on what a bypass valve is, its exactly that. Sure on a nasty rainy day like Ifixyawata had, the filter is bound to suck up some water (only really if you drive in a puddle) especially if it's a fender wall CAI. But its nothing to really worry about because the bypass will get rid of the water before it can get into your engine and unfortunatley cause it to hydrolock (not fun.) It's basically a sponge... just look at the picture.

They aren't to expensive either.

$40 bucks from this place,

http://www.doctorimport.com/aem_air_bypass_valve.html

$60 bucks directly from AEM

http://www.aempower.com/product_intake_app.asp

Apparently they only work with AEM CAIs, but thats never stopped anyone from jerry rigging anything before... :roll:

Hope this helps :D

Knoxville_R/T
2GN Member

Post by Knoxville_R/T » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:03 pm

Just don't be stupid. If the puddle is high enough for your CAI to suck up water, you should drive through it anyways. Just remember that the filter is about even with the corner light.
-Brian

Rest In Peace Brian
February 20, 1985 - August 21, 2012

2004 Black "KNEE YAWN" SRT-4
3" Maxxfab SEE, S2 WGA, Mopar BOV Plate, Fighters CAI, Samco IC Hoses, QW's DF IC, Hotchkis Sways
Soon to come:
Werks rear Strut Bar

2001 Red Neon R/T**Gone** :(

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:47 pm

Should of gotten a brand name intake.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:48 pm

I live in one of the Wettest area's in the country and I've never had any trouble with my AEM. I just avoid the Large puddles.
2017 Subaru WRX STI
Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:27 am

^^^
Smart man, but there are those cases where you might get blocked in and cant avoid it. Last August that happened to me and the water got into my engine and hydrolocked it. But at that time I had just a filter on the TB, the water was so deep it went into the engine compartment and got sucked in..

2k2patriotblueneon
2GN Member

Post by 2k2patriotblueneon » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:55 am

Knoxville_R/T wrote:Just don't be stupid. If the puddle is high enough for your CAI to suck up water, you should drive through it anyways. Just remember that the filter is about even with the corner light.
Agreed.....I have driven through some damn big puddles with no problems...something else must be wrong so I doubt bringing it back to stock will help. Check your plugs and wires..... :? It takes a small lake to hydrolock a neon....the filter needs to get completely submerged. In which case your block will probably crack from cooling too rapidly so hydrolock will be the least of your problems. :lol: Granted there are a mysterious few who have supposedly hydrolocked their car from a small puddle....I suspecta fibber. :lol: Also check to make your your AIT or air intake temp sensor is plugged in and inserted in the CAI correctly....
2002 Dodge Neon SE
Mopar Stage 3 Coilovers w/Energy Suspension Polyurethane Bushings
SRT Swap in progress
SRT is powered by an AGP 50 trim stage 4 ball bearing turbo kit
When finished will run no less then 400 HP. :twisted:

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:55 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote:^^^
Smart man, but there are those cases where you might get blocked in and cant avoid it. Last August that happened to me and the water got into my engine and hydrolocked it. But at that time I had just a filter on the TB, the water was so deep it went into the engine compartment and got sucked in..
I live in the middle of the City and I've never had that problem. Only place that floods is the Quizno's Parking lot. So I just go to another Quizno's on the otherside of town. There werent even large lake like puddles after Hurricane's Charley or Wilma.

They run commercials around here about going through flooded roads "When in Doubt, Turn Around" lol
2017 Subaru WRX STI
Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

atom
2GN Member

Post by atom » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:57 pm

I had to take off my CAI myself just recently. Pittsburgh is nothing but hills and the roads kinda hold the water nicely when you get a good downpour. I was driving on 65 if anyone knows what that is and it was juts filled with deep puddles in both lanes. I had a semi truck on my ass and drove through two of the puddles. Both times the car took a good little gulp and made a god awful noise... I am very lucky it still runs fine. Funny thing is, when I went to take off my intake... my filter was gone! AHH! Lol

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:05 pm

Knoxville_R/T wrote:Just don't be stupid..... the filter is about even with the corner light.
You have to go through some REALLY deep puddles to get water up that high. Next time you go out to your car, see how high that actually is. I bet it's more than a foot.

Anybody that lives anywhere near the northeast knows how much it rained this past week. I drove through at least 4 deep (probably 4+ inch) puddles trying to get home from work and I had no problems with my Iceman/K&N setup. Whenever I have to go through a really deep one, I just put my hazards on and barely crawl through it. No problems so far.

Another thing I do just to be extra careful, if I see a deep one coming up that I can't get around, I take it out of gear and let off the gas. That way, the AIS aperture is the only place it could possibly get in.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

dp
2GN Member

Post by dp » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:41 pm

I considered taking the CAI out because the whistling noise it makes is pretty loud and I don't know how normal that is. What scares me is not exactly the noise, it's two other things:

1. The whistling noise is low, but as soon as I set the car in Reverse or Drive, it instantly becomes much louder. Is that supposed to be normal? I can't understand why when I give the car gas in Parking I barely hear the damn whistling, but when it's in Drive, its loud as shit. And also, when I accelerate in Drive theres a high pitched whistle that goes away once I pass the 2000 RPM mark. Is that normal?
2. The engine is louder (expected) but sometimes it's not a smooth *vroom*. It starts to sound like its vibrating, sorta like if I were playing with the gas pedal instead of just leaving it steady in one spot. It's slight, but it worries me... I'm very obsessive over shit like this... should I be worried?
No, seriously, brand stickers give your car up to 2 HP increase EACH!
They really do. Try them out. Go wild. Put fifty of them on your car.

dp
2GN Member

Post by dp » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Anyone?
No, seriously, brand stickers give your car up to 2 HP increase EACH!
They really do. Try them out. Go wild. Put fifty of them on your car.

jRanck03RT
2GN Member

Post by jRanck03RT » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:02 pm

the whistle is common and i like it on my r/t :D
2003 R/T Some go, Some show.

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:32 pm

dp, sounds like that whistle could be your idle air control. The engine is under a small load when you put the car in reverse or drive, and since you're not stepping on the gas, the idle air control pintle opens up. The hole where the air goes through is pretty small. I'd consider that noise normal.

Are you using an aftermarket throttle body?
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

nofrills05
2GN Member

Post by nofrills05 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:39 pm

tamadrumr88 wrote:if thats the route you go though, id suggest getting (or making) a hard bellows pipe replacement, and putting the k&n filter in place.... and maybe mod the airbox to use with a 60mm t/b.... i was considering this but i like the sound of the intake way too much to silence it
Thats the combo I have. I have an aluminum tube bellows, 60mm TB and the mopar filter in the stock airbox w/the resoinator removed. Works great and no need to worry about water. This set up may change though once I get the magnum manifold on, the bellows is going to have to be modifed to fit the different angle of the manifold inlet.

Panhead
2GN Member

Post by Panhead » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:45 pm

if you ever decide to run without the resonator, invest in a 6in long, 3in wide tube. the 90 degree elbow is too short and wont go pass the fender well. therefore, sucking hot air. ever since i put the tube in, ive been gettin better gas milage. just my 02.
Juice

"There is no "G" in Cummins"

Keep it Mopar, buy Mopar Parts

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”