Anyone know the common fail points for an 04 base Neon? A?C?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Anyone know the common fail points for an 04 base Neon? A?C?

Post by occasional demons » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:08 am

If my first car had been a neon, I probably wouldn't be here today. I ditched mt 1st car a few times, but being built in 1964, it never even suffered a dent. I did once get enough grass between the bead and the rim to get a flat by the end of the day though. That Polara was a beast, and saved me a few times, but if it had flipped i would have been done, being a convertible.

Being on my dime, it really didn't change my driving habits. If anything, it empowered me, because it was mine to lose, and I wouldn't have the guilt of destroying something my parents spent money on. I bought it when I was 15, before I even had a driver's licence. Which should tell you it was no beauty, but even though it had some holes in the floorboards, it was a solid tank.

A neon would have never driven out of the situations I put that car in, on it's own power or without a tow truck. I was always able to drive away, and never had the inconvenience of getting caught. Ironically, it's when I began to drove responsibly, that things happened both my own fault and other's, that had an impact on my driving record and insurance.

(In Ohio at least, insurance companies hold it against you for other people rear ending you, when you are listed as a driver on other people's cars. You are an accident magnet, so that person has to pay extra if they list you as a driver. You could have never been at fault, and have a perfect record, but it doesn't matter if you keep getting in the path of distracted drivers.)
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Well, so far so good for the little Neon. Have not done anything more with it for A/C, but do check tires and fluids(son still won't do that). Son's driving habits have improved tremendously since he found out that getting out of the speeding ticket is going to cost him in the area of $300.00 that HE is going to pay for on top of the $550.00 he has paid me in parts for his ride for stuff over the last year!
Had a major expense at home this last week, as my wife finally found the 4dr car she wanted to replace our 98 Avenger es. We got her a FULLY LOADED 08 G6 gt...just shy of 3 grand all inc. Summer funds are now VERY TIGHT!

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:31 pm

My son is taking much better care of the little Neon, no "episodes" yet, and at 2500 miles I just topped the motor oil up to full with 1/3 of a quart of conv. 10-30 that's running in it this oil change. He's been putting on at least 700 miles a week on the little car!

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Well my son has just 2 more days of work requiring 100 mile round trips, and then it drops to 70 miles a day for commuting to local college. Which he's already been doing for the past week and then the summer job on the weekend.
The little car is doing very well now that I laid the law down on how my son had been abusing the car. It may not look pretty with the lower door and rocker rust, but I would trust the mechanicals to make an "on the spot" major trip! Even without working A/C. :roll:

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”