Car is redlining itself with no driver input

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
NachtRitter84
2GN Member

Car is redlining itself with no driver input

Post by NachtRitter84 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:40 am

So that brake light is still on, we’ll preface with that - I replaced brakes, master cylinder, serviced the ATX(twice) replaced the two non-timing belts, threw new pack coil and wires on it. The car had, after all, been sitting in a yard for a year before I bought it so basic tune up stuff seemed in order anyway. But that light is still on…

So now I went to get gas this morning, started her up and pulled out of the station and my engine surged, except it stayed surged. The mile back to my house was an exercise in fighting the car - acting like the gas pedal is pegged out, having to stand on the brakes with it trying to accelerate (hey the brakes for sure work) and continuing to do this in neutral or park(ATX).

Parked it, turned her off, popped the hood and checked the throttle body - nothing seems stuck but it’s still doing it. If I turn the engine over it immediately revs over(I assume it’s redlining, there’s no tach in the ‘02 instrument panel) and starts coughing/clacking not sure how to describe the sound while still revving like the pedal is pegged out. - driving it means I’m riding the brake hard since the car is literally floored out without me touching the pedal

Any ideas?
2005 SXT - ATX 2.4 NA Swap
2007 Jetta 2.5L Wolfsburg Custom
2022 Mazda 3i

NachtRitter84
2GN Member

Re: Car is redlining itself with no driver input

Post by NachtRitter84 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:37 pm

Notes: I don’t have floor mats. I think it may be a broken pedal return spring since the gas peddle is…. Loose as a goose suddenly.
2005 SXT - ATX 2.4 NA Swap
2007 Jetta 2.5L Wolfsburg Custom
2022 Mazda 3i

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Re: Car is redlining itself with no driver input

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:40 am

It's possible the spring on the TB broke, or you have a very bad vacuum leak. Inspect the throttle body really well first.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”