P0339 PAIN IN THE REAR

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
ArcadeMike
Fresh Fish

P0339 PAIN IN THE REAR

Post by ArcadeMike » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:40 pm

Hey, we have a 2003 Neon SXT that has trouble with the Crank Position sensor not working or failing within a few weeks. I have tried every brand but nothing. I just checked and it was built in 11/02. Is it possible that it has the 02 engine in it and I just need to order that part?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: P0339 PAIN IN THE REAR

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:05 pm

If the crank sensor is in the front near the starter it's an '03 engine. It would be extremely unlikely they would have put an '02 SBEC engine in, as the computer etc would have to match, and it wouldn't pass 2003 emissions requirements.

Daimler would have been breaking the EPA laws and fined out the ying yang.

Have you tried a Mopar crank sensor despite the price?

Nothing else will last.

If so, you may have an issue with the 5 volt power supply in the PCM.

Now it wouldn't be the end of the world, as you can use an external 12 volt to 5 volt supply to get around that.

But you'll have to determine if that's actually the issue.

About the simplest way would to be tapping the 5 volt side and running the wire to the cabin and attached to a digital multimeter. Then ground the other lead.

If the voltage drops out when it dies, then you'll know.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”