EGR port

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
latief
2GN Member

EGR port

Post by latief » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:25 pm

Very Basic question, what is an EGR port, and why do some neons have it, while others don't?

thanks,

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:56 pm

Typically the EGR port is where the exhaust gas enters the intake to be admitted to the engine. The EGR valve may or may not be attached to the EGR port, there's a lot of ways to configure the system, and there may or may not be more than one port depending on how you look at it.

EGR is used to admit exhaust gas to the intake charge. Adding exhasut gas to the intake charge slows combustion time and reduces combustion temp, thus typically reducing NOx emissions. Also certain areas have stricter emissions requirements than others so vehicles shipped to some areas may have it while others wont. If the engine is capable of meeting emissions targets without requiring EGR it's not installed because it's just added money.

If you want to know more than that wikipedia is your friend.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

neon angel
2GN Member

Post by neon angel » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:37 pm

ok i live in ill and have an 05 sxt can some one show me an o5 sxt with and without an egr?
2005 neon sxt 2.0L 16v
custom cai,unorthadox udp,magnacore 8.5mmrace wires,ngk pllugs,R/T HEADER and ACTIVE R/T MANIFOLD,srt cat back,ps2 mopar lip kit and unforunately atx

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:02 pm

EGR= exhaust gas recirculation, basically what matt said above. they make your car run cleaner and rob some power doing it. some belive that EGR is a downside on a performance vehicle.

I dont think any 03+ neons came with them. ive heard that NO 2gns did, but im pretty sure someone proved that theory wrong. I forget which year came with them. 01 maybe? hmmm

under your hood is an emissions sticker that says something like "catalyst" on it in big lettering. that sticker will say what emissions controls your car has. If EGR isnt clearly labeled, chances are you dont have it.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:11 pm

They mythical year that EGR is supposed to come with is 2000. If anybody can find an EGR valve under my hood I'll give them $100 because there isn't one. I've yet to see a 2gn with one, but there's always the possibility I guess.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

Drvr02RT
2GN Member

Post by Drvr02RT » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:53 am

yeah, im sure the 00's have them too. in 01 some heads had the cast mark for the EGR but didnt have the actual EGR system.
'02 Silver R/T
'04 SRT Swap
Stage 2 WGA
----18psi----
AGP Dogbones
Boogers
Mopar Lowering Springs
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Koni's

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:20 am

interesting. the mystery of the egr...

i dont know why we want to know about them so much, those things suck balls! im way glad we dont have them to deal with. we have enough issues with power as it is! thank god our cars run clean naturally haha
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:56 am

2000 Parts Manual has it lists as there being a block off plate and gasket on the 2.0L and 1.8L (Yes, 1.8L) so it's there, just not used.

01 shows the same thing but also has MANIFOLD, Intake, Without EGR Valve for the 1.6L

Same goes for 02 as in 01

03+ lists a tube for the EGR or the EDV engine (SRT Motor)

Earlier in the year at N2k6 Ed Peters said it's non existent on the 2nd gens since DCx was able to meet emissions standards without it. :-?
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

latief
2GN Member

Post by latief » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:02 am

so how will this affect me if i decide to get a new engine off a 2001, or 2002 for my 2000 neon...?

that is why i was asking in the first place, once you look at car part finder websites, they list egr, or w/ egr as seperate catagories.....!

Canada
Junior Admin

Post by Canada » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:41 am

Well, I would ask them to show you pics of these so called EGR equipped vehicles, because as far as I have been told, there are no Neons equipped with an EGR. Unless the of the earlier ones (2000-01) Cali LEV vehicles have them?

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:17 pm

The port may be there in the head, just blocked off with a plate as it seems to be judging by the parts manual :-? Should be able to take the plate off then if thats the case...
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”