Punching Out Cat

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
srt-design
2GN Member

Punching Out Cat

Post by srt-design » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:45 pm

is it easy to punch out the catalytic converter guts or is it easier to just weld in a straight pipe?

lemme know boyzzzz..
MTX 05
Mods: K&N intake w/heatshield, functional r/t intake w/ Lorenzo 60mm t/b, Borla Header, MPx UDP, LUK PRO GOLD Aluminum Flywheel w/ clutch, r/t dual exhaust, Firm M/M, C/D Slotted Rotors, Mopar STS, SD Coil, No A/C, Eibach Sportlines, f/r struts, Ractive Racing Seats, 20% tint all around, black tail L.E.D.'s, etc...

LCPLPunk
2GN Member

Post by LCPLPunk » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:53 pm

easier to punch it out..but it smells bad. :P
2001 Neon R/T
Deyeme Motor Mounts, Booger Bushings, JohnnyMopar Cradle Bushings, SRT Silver shift knob, Maddog STS, SRT Rear Seat, K&N WAI, Magnecore Wires, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil, Coil pack heat shield
""The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone" - Harriet Beecher Stowe"

Drvr02RT
2GN Member

Post by Drvr02RT » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:21 pm

if you decide to punch it out be sure to wear a mask, you dont want to breath that shit in. also.....it does stink lol
'02 Silver R/T
'04 SRT Swap
Stage 2 WGA
----18psi----
AGP Dogbones
Boogers
Mopar Lowering Springs
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Koni's

srt-design
2GN Member

Post by srt-design » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:08 pm

haha thats funny, i'll need something long and hard to punch that out... hummm... lets see what :shock:
MTX 05
Mods: K&N intake w/heatshield, functional r/t intake w/ Lorenzo 60mm t/b, Borla Header, MPx UDP, LUK PRO GOLD Aluminum Flywheel w/ clutch, r/t dual exhaust, Firm M/M, C/D Slotted Rotors, Mopar STS, SD Coil, No A/C, Eibach Sportlines, f/r struts, Ractive Racing Seats, 20% tint all around, black tail L.E.D.'s, etc...

heyitsstock
2GN Member

Post by heyitsstock » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:52 pm

your fist wuss

:) just kidding
i have know idea what you guys are talking about
DMND #57 What your girlfriend is pregnant?
Wenuden wrote: 1. Coat top three steps with vegetable oil. 2. Tell her to go make you a sandwich in the kitchen upstairs. 3. ??? 4. Profit

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:01 pm

its easier to kick a dog

:rofl:
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

LCPLPunk
2GN Member

Post by LCPLPunk » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:02 pm

I used a crowbar. Put the crowbar in the cat, then bang the crowbar against the ground up into the cat. Wiggle the crow bar around as much as you can and try to whittle away at the insides. Sooner or later their won't be anything left.
2001 Neon R/T
Deyeme Motor Mounts, Booger Bushings, JohnnyMopar Cradle Bushings, SRT Silver shift knob, Maddog STS, SRT Rear Seat, K&N WAI, Magnecore Wires, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil, Coil pack heat shield
""The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone" - Harriet Beecher Stowe"

underway
2GN Member

Post by underway » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:49 pm

well i have done several cat guttings lol....and i like to use a piece of square bar and a hammer cus since its square when u hammer it in a bit u can twist and it makes bigger hole and affter you get one or two holes it all bassically falls out....o and i didnt wear a mask either..only thing i noticed is the under the car tinging sound cus its a big hollow space in there when u just gut it so if you dont want that then replace the pipe...i just gutted it cus im hoping ill magically pass smog and when he looks he will think theres a workin cat under there..... seriously doubt it tho
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT...

SlvrACR
2GN Member

Post by SlvrACR » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:59 pm

On my old car we hollowed out the cat and welded a pipe inside that way it appeared to be stock and still have a cat but really it was straight pipe
2gn Member Feedback
My Project Log
01 Dodge ACR - SOLD
01 Dodge RT - 279whp 329wtq

underway
2GN Member

Post by underway » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:09 pm

SlvrACR wrote:On my old car we hollowed out the cat and welded a pipe inside that way it appeared to be stock and still have a cat but really it was straight pipe
sounds like a pretty good idea.....but didnt u have to decrease it a .25'' to make the pipe fit inside the other?

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:14 pm

LCPLPunk wrote:I used a crowbar. Put the crowbar in the cat, then bang the crowbar against the ground up into the cat. Wiggle the crow bar around as much as you can and try to whittle away at the insides. Sooner or later their won't be anything left.

that might get a little messy, make sure you wear your gettin dirty clothes
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

TNK
2GN Veteran

Post by TNK » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:55 pm

i didnt notice any different smell when i punched mine out. and it was pretty easy, just get a long extension for a ratchet, and started beating the hell out of the inside of the cat and every now and then id flip it upside down and hit the flange on the ground tto shaek the broken shit out. but that was with the DP removed.

Modify Your Car - Modify Your Body - Modify Your Life
TheRandom1 wrote:My true opinion here is that the only time rubber should be stretched is when it's going over a penis.

nofrills05
2GN Member

Post by nofrills05 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:23 pm

wouldn't be easier to just buy a strait pipe, more expensive, but easier.

just a thought

J-Villa
2GN Veteran

Post by J-Villa » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:35 pm

this is free, and some states have a visual inspection of the cat....so if it looks like it's there it will pass
Wanna Sell Me Your 2gn??
Official I sold my Neon Member #004

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:53 pm

For the ultimate fake cat, punch it out, weld pipe in, then fill between the pipe and cat housing with sand. This gives the ultimate authentic 'clunk' sound to make sure it doesn't sound hollow when they tap on the side of it.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

srt-design
2GN Member

Post by srt-design » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:56 am

what if i put a small chunk of C4 inside and set it off, if the going gets tuff?

will that work?
MTX 05

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:08 am

that might damage the rest of it too. i believe its a pretty thin casing around all of it.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

srt-design
2GN Member

Post by srt-design » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:19 pm

racer12306 wrote:that might damage the rest of it too. i believe its a pretty thin casing around all of it.
hehe i was just kidden, b.
MTX 05

heyitsstock
2GN Member

Post by heyitsstock » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:20 pm

awhhh freakin' sweet were blowing shit up now
DMND #57 What your girlfriend is pregnant?
Wenuden wrote: 1. Coat top three steps with vegetable oil. 2. Tell her to go make you a sandwich in the kitchen upstairs. 3. ??? 4. Profit

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:31 pm

fixitmattman wrote:For the ultimate fake cat, punch it out, weld pipe in, then fill between the pipe and cat housing with sand. This gives the ultimate authentic 'clunk' sound to make sure it doesn't sound hollow when they tap on the side of it.
That is a great idea... never heard of that one before :clap:
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

underway
2GN Member

Post by underway » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:03 am

ya sand in the cat sounds like a good idea.....or u could just make sure your cars to dam low for the fucker to tap on it...lol i remember when i took my tbird in. the smog check guy pulled the front tires onto the dyno drum things and then got on the gas and after a minute of seein him lookin like he was tryin to do a burnout i said....its fuckin rwd man....dam asians...... and it was an auto... im afraid to see him with a stick..o and that car never passed smog....real shocker... better off smoggin it myself

srt-design
2GN Member

Post by srt-design » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:59 pm

fixitmattman wrote:For the ultimate fake cat, punch it out, weld pipe in, then fill between the pipe and cat housing with sand. This gives the ultimate authentic 'clunk' sound to make sure it doesn't sound hollow when they tap on the side of it.
ya good idea but im not crazy about the sand weighing my car down part. plus there's no emmission check where i live so im probably going to cut and weld in a straight pipe!

straight pipe FTW! ill let you know how it sounds.
MTX 05

dgodard
2GN Member

Post by dgodard » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:33 pm

i did it to last neon i had....took off cat and welded a resonator....sounds exactly same as stock.

Now i'm debating if i do same or just gut cat.
2005 SRT-4 Orange Blast
Stock!!!

2003 NEON R/T Bright Silver
Iceman CAI, Clear corners, Booger bushings, Prothane MMI, Mpx UDP, Tokico Blue, MSD coil & wires,

RIP
2001 NEON SE

Marthby
2GN Member

Post by Marthby » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:26 pm

Wouldn't this cause a CEL?
Sig Applications.

Apply here. haha tricked ya' bitch!

TNK
2GN Veteran

Post by TNK » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:24 pm

Yup.

TheRandom1 wrote:My true opinion here is that the only time rubber should be stretched is when it's going over a penis.

dgodard
2GN Member

Post by dgodard » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:05 pm

CEL didn't turn on in my case, don't know why
2005 SRT-4 Orange Blast
Stock!!!

2003 NEON R/T Bright Silver
Iceman CAI, Clear corners, Booger bushings, Prothane MMI, Mpx UDP, Tokico Blue, MSD coil & wires,

RIP
2001 NEON SE

underway
2GN Member

Post by underway » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:08 pm

Marthby wrote:Wouldn't this cause a CEL?
mine didnt cum on for like 4k miles

TNK
2GN Veteran

Post by TNK » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:21 pm

underway wrote:cum
:shock:

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:44 am

^^^
You hungry? :lol:
Ok back on topic......
If you hollow out the cat, make sure you run a straight pipe through it since the hollowed out cat will cause a restriction in the exhaust system just as bad as a stock cat.
If you dont have to worry about a cat in whatever state your at then just go and grab one of these:

Those down pipes can be found cheap, and there are others out there that also have a resonator in them. These pipes used can be had for around $50shipped....

Also, for anyone thinking about destroying there cat converters, SCRAP metal prices are up(the last I heard) and junkyards here in WNY pay upto $50-$100 for a CAT with a solid core, $15-$30 for a CAT with a loose core. So why destroy your cat when you can get $ for it and buy a replacement downpipe... :wink:

TNK
2GN Veteran

Post by TNK » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:16 am

too nbad you didnt ell me that sooner...

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”