K@N intake?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
kirktalife
2GN Member

K@N intake?

Post by kirktalife » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:34 am

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... =69-2520TR

anyone got this, and have any input on it, it says 6.8hp increase, everyone is talkin bout the aem and iceman but what bout this, and do you think it will fit my o2 r/t(magnum)

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:40 am

dont waste your money :wink:
My DIY intake prbably did the same HP increase, but unless you run it on a dyno, you would never know it. 10-15hp increase you feel by the butt dyno but anything under 10hp you would never know.
Also keep in mind thats probably in a perfect world dyno test there advertising also.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #666
(she officially died in 2018 by being donated to a church...seriously)

refect
2GN Member

Post by refect » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:10 am

yeh intake is intake in my opinion. all depends on material it is made out of, size of piping, filter, and such. i have my aem cai. i like it. spent some money on it....but i like it. :D if you want to spend the money on the fancy intakes that should go in without problems or cutting piping and stuff then go for it. if you want to go a less expensive route, the ebay or DIY intakes are your friend. either way im sure you will be happy with the purchase. k&n makes some nice products, but i perfer aem in my opinion...i think it is just becasue i like the name better. haha yeah im a weirdo :P
-Brad

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:59 am

it said "estimated" horse power gain.... that tells you everything.
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

kirktalife
2GN Member

Post by kirktalife » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:18 pm

ya i prob will still go with the aem but i just wanted some opinions on it cuz i always hear bout the aem and iceman wanted to know if anyone had the k@n

Sparky828
2GN Member

Post by Sparky828 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:29 pm

a friend of mine has the k&n typhoon on his 05 sxt... It sounds great but makes this loud annoying humming sound. Id go with the iceman...

2000 Dodge ES ATX

Spark CAI, Magnum intake manifold with working butterflies, zzapp 60mm tb, magnum header, gutted cat, bosal glasspack, srt axle back, RMVB (Reverse Manual Valve Body), flex-a-lite tranny cooler, and SRT springs.

~ A loss for one, is a win for another ~

Wisher2
2GN Member

Post by Wisher2 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:26 am

My car was actually one of the cars used to make the Typhoon they tested it on my vehicle. I got rid of it and bought a AEM the Aem sounds better and in my opinion is better quality. Also I dont believe the Typhoon comes with the bellows tude which is real significant in air restriction.

apk2k6
2GN Member

Post by apk2k6 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:50 pm

get one from ebay, i heard they're just the same but way cheaper. i actually saw some for like 30 bucks with shipping included :)
2003 Flame Red SE ATX

ram50rocket
2GN Member

Post by ram50rocket » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:01 am

Wisher2 wrote:My car was actually one of the cars used to make the Typhoon they tested it on my vehicle. I got rid of it and bought a AEM the Aem sounds better and in my opinion is better quality. Also I dont believe the Typhoon comes with the bellows tude which is real significant in air restriction.
So you had the typhoon on your car, but you don't know if it had a bellows tube or not?
89 Ram50 engine swap???
05 SRT-4 deburred
02 ACR, R.I.P. thx 4 nothin Insurance Co.
00 ES traded in 4 ACR
titansxt wrote:I hear the whats it called, Dodge Neon, is a good car.
you could probably go get your "umadbro" polished up to make it look like a new comeback again

dinetuner
2GN Member

Post by dinetuner » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:00 pm

go ebay!!!!
bad01neon wrote: obviously the 10 year old consented, so its ok lol :lol:

Wisher2
2GN Member

Post by Wisher2 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:31 pm

ram50rocket wrote:
Wisher2 wrote:My car was actually one of the cars used to make the Typhoon they tested it on my vehicle. I got rid of it and bought a AEM the Aem sounds better and in my opinion is better quality. Also I dont believe the Typhoon comes with the bellows tude which is real significant in air restriction.
So you had the typhoon on your car, but you don't know if it had a bellows tube or not?
No I had a Typhoon Prototype and they did not make the bellows tube. What I ment was that I dont belive the finished product comes with a bellows tube either and it would be better to go with Iceman or if you live in Cali.....AEM because Iceman is still smog pending. My car was used as one of the donor cars to create the typhoon intake. They just made the Throttle Body on down and did nothing to create the bellows tube. i guess they figured that there was no reason to mess with anything after the throttle body because after the trottle body is not part of the intake....if that makes any sense

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:53 pm

i have the k&n and i love it. dunno about that much HP, but it did make a difference, and it sounds great and looks great as well. The directions for install were good and it went in easy, and hasnt had any probs in 5000+ miles.

as far as the "humming" sound, aka fogorn, see my post in the how to section. its easily fixed by adjusting some bolts, its a vacuum prob that has no effect on performance to my knowledge.

ps. ebay 'performance parts' are for poor, cheap, careless, stupid people. sure, an intake is an intake, but whats 150 saved bucks got on a lifetime warranty, guaranteed power gain, and professional constrution? ive seen those ebay intakes and some of em are gnarly. metal flake all over the inner welds and crappy tubing. id never let my car see something like that, its just not smart to take a chance at your engine swallowing peices of aluminum and other garbage. but hey, thats just me, i DO drive a brand new neon, not an old beater that i dont care about.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

CrashTeam
2GN Member

Post by CrashTeam » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:08 pm

There is Nothing wrong with *MOST* ebay intakes... If you think about it, there is next to no cost when making these things... The brand names do nothing more then mark up your cost for there stickers... And good luck getting warrenty outa them... I know when I tried calling AEM's support to discuss the fog horn noise the tec told me that it is suppose to do that and if I didnt like it then take it off, when I told him I paid enough money and expected a quality part, he proceeded to bitch me out for saying there product wasnt a quality one... And as for professional engineering, I had to take an inch off there pipe before that fog horn noise finnaly went away... You think proffesionals would have though of that before I did. I dont know how K&N would treat an un happy customer but man talk about Lack of professionalism...

In short.. Enough people have purchased ebay CAI and have had little to no problems with then... Infact I hear more problems with aem and k&n's then I do with ebay intakes...

Edit : Holy Period's batman, sorry!
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stg2/Toys, 3" TBE, 3"o2, FM Wastegate, AEM Intake, Running 20psi

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:41 pm

on my old stratus (2 dr coupe) the bracket broke of the ebay cai... the one i had originally got for the neon was missing shit.... sooo from now on, i would rather spend a little bit more cash...... for the "quality".

just my $.02
Image Sam-I-Am

dinetuner
2GN Member

Post by dinetuner » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:34 pm

i have had no problems with my ebay cai and it works perfect no breakage.. you of course have to buy a more"quality" one...and with all the pieces...
bad01neon wrote: obviously the 10 year old consented, so its ok lol :lol:

Wisher2
2GN Member

Post by Wisher2 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:24 pm

You know whats funny......I dont think people understand the intricate construction that goes into an actual CAI......They weld bend tweek adjust and use the C.A.D. system to actually create a quality intake. Alot of long hours go into running a car on the dyno over and over again to gain the maximum horses and torque out of the engine......you really think that some meth head somewhere with a welder and some toobing can actualy create an expert piece the flows mith max volume air per fuel ratio that gets peek performance....These company's Like AEM and ICEMAN dont just throw some shit together that they think looks good or might fit in this or that space and then throw it on the market...........come on people.......would anyone buy a cam that came from some generic factory in Los Angeles or would you want the car race experts to put thier time, trial and effort into making the best piece for performance proven and then charging you for thier time and effort into making something that can enhance the performance of the type of vehicle that you own

THATS MY .02 CENTS

CrashTeam
2GN Member

Post by CrashTeam » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 pm

I really frankly dont believe that AEM went outa there way to design half there products with hours of dyno and cad design... Its not a hard concept to bend a pipe to fit under the hood of any car... I think you guys are giving them way to much credit.
Granted yes we have all be shammed on ebay before, but the ones that come complete are just as good in my opinion. This testamony is comming from somone who owns a aem... I think the hardest thing they did making mine was powdercoating it or what ever they did to color it blue...

Hell I designed a fully functional CAI for my Daewoo outa half a civic intake tube and some flex pipe from autozone... NO CAD NESSASARY!
;) I dont wanta pick a fight but I like most neon owners like to save my .02 cents when modding my car!
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stg2/Toys, 3" TBE, 3"o2, FM Wastegate, AEM Intake, Running 20psi

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:20 am

yes but how do you know it actuall DOES its job? just cuz u attach it to the TB and it sucks in air dont mean it does sh!t!!!

good lookin out wisher you know what youre talkin about. these companies DO spend lots of time tuning these parts for max performance. CAI's arent just tubes, they are designed to flow max air and are developed with high grade materials by professionals. anyone who buys ebay brand crap is cheap and has no respect for their cars or themselves as tuners. if youre willing to admit that, then ill leave u alone. but please please dont try to tell us that ebay intakes work as well as name brand, dyno tested, proven performance intakes (and all other parts, cams included *wink). I tune my car for relaibility and performance, and quality is VERY important when it comes to my biggest investment.

would you buy food on ebay and eat it if it saved you money? an average person could care less (and wouldnt know better) about buying ebay crap for their car, but to real tuners and enthusiasts, quality is everything. anyone who knows cars should know better than to put mystery parts in their car. its unfortunate that a LOT of people on these forums think its OK to get random parts from random places, just to save money. arent you here cuz u love cars in the first place? bottom line is this: building cars=spending money. if you think u can buy cheap parts and do the same, then youre in for a surprise.

again, props to wisher and others who dont swear by thriftiness.
-Derek

lilolneon
2GN Member

Post by lilolneon » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:25 am

:happy1:

just my $.02 isnt it possible for someone to take a namebrand, and recreate it for a cheaper price for thsoe who cant afford the sticker?
2003 Atlantic Blue SE (R.I.P. 03-06)
2003 Black SXT (R.I.P. 06-14)
2007 Silver Civic LX Coupe

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:04 am

orangeblastsxt wrote: anyone who buys ebay brand crap is cheap and has no respect for their cars or themselves as tuners. if youre willing to admit that, then ill leave u alone. .
i was with you until you said this crap.... who the fuck are you to say someone is not a tuner and has no respect for themselves or their cars.... open your eyes son... to some people cars are just toys, and to other its part of their identity..... some people have alot of money to toss around on name brands... others have to save for a while just to get the imitation stuff.... my point is that its about different priorities...

i don't consider myself a "tuner". i just like my car to be different, just like me.... so whether i use name brands or ebay stuff.... it will still be different... and by no means does that signify that i have no respect for myself.... i have done too many things in my life for some young kid to say that shit.

that is your opinion and your entitled to it, but make sure think a little bit outside the box before you post some shit like that.... noob :roll:
Image Sam-I-Am

Wisher2
2GN Member

Post by Wisher2 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:46 am

Let me remind everyone that I am taking no sides on this matter but I will say that it isnt easy to just bend tubing to fit under your hood.....The CAI's are made specifically to enhance your air intake volume not for beauty and sound....sound dosent make you go faster. I had a friend once that had a focus....built to the max pushing something like a little over 200 to the wheels N/A.....He had an injen CAI.....he took it in to get it dyno tuned and he actually found out that his injen intake was creating hot blast's instead of cold air induction.....he switched to some expensive like 20 layer micro foam short tube rally race blah blah blah $350.00 new zealand made with heat shield and it gained him like 10 horses and like 14 lbs trqe.....My point is that even the big manufactures dont always make the best products but I do know that alot of time goes into making them. I've been to the AEM/DC tuning center in City of Industry.......I've been to K&N those places do have research facilities.....they also look for donor cars to experiment on to tune thier parts....if you go to any of those major websites and they dont have an aplication for your vehicle you can opt to be a donor car and have a part made for your car and tuned to maximize what ever the part is supposed to enhance...

I personally would never spend money on something off of e-bay. You dont know what the hell you are getting the app might not even be for your car....why would anyone buy a CAI for a DODGE NEON .......that said REAL JDM PARTS on it.......that is just Garbage if you ask me........Has anyone with a DIYS CAI or e-bay CAI had thier car dyno'd......if so take that crap off and put on a real CAI and see what kinda difference thier will be......J M O

lilolneon
2GN Member

Post by lilolneon » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:40 am

i think theres too many arguments here :? ok, back to my lil corner :D
2003 Atlantic Blue SE (R.I.P. 03-06)
2003 Black SXT (R.I.P. 06-14)
2007 Silver Civic LX Coupe

CrashTeam
2GN Member

Post by CrashTeam » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:21 pm

I like that Icon with the popcorn, I fee like poping some now while reading these posts...

They post stuff like "Real JDM" to sell to the retards out dont know any better.
Im not saying im a pro or that I know more then any one out there, but from the experience of seeing name brands, then comparing it to ebay knock offs, There is maybe a 1% difference... When it comes to a CAI guess wat, little to no science is needed to make one... As long as it pulls cold air, and isnt ungodly long, it works the same, plain and simple...

But really as cheap as we all are, who wants to spend the 50 or so dollars + gas to dyno prove it...

I rest my case.

Frizbe
2GN Member

Post by Frizbe » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:48 pm

orangeblastsxt wrote:ps. ebay 'performance parts' are for poor, cheap, careless, stupid people.
FUCK YOU.
Justin- I have nothing but smart ass remarks to add.
:-s
Fire_Hippo wrote:Frizbe, you rock my socks.
- Jeff's girlfriend

Wisher2
2GN Member

Post by Wisher2 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:07 pm

Hey if anyone wants to or has the time out of thier life to pick up the lastest Modified Mag grab it up and read the huge article of Knock Off parts and maybe it will give some of you a little more insight on the whole e-bay thing as well as CAI and how if it is not manufactured properly that it can actually hurt your car as well as maybe pull some burrs left inside the intake into your engine......Cheap stuff equals cheap performance......I dont have alot of money but I am very outgoing which leads to alot of friends i.e; alot of hookups and really cheap deals......I also save to buy the good stuff.....If it take me 1 year to save for some KW coilovers then so be it at least when it is dropped it will be on quality parts that will give me a quality and reliable ride......you know what I mean....No offence to anyone that buys cheap stuff so that your car can LOOK cool I would just prefer myself to have good performance proven track tested parts.

I am not meaning to start any fight with anyone or anything like that.....Just argueing my opinion

CrashTeam
2GN Member

Post by CrashTeam » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:51 pm

You are right about one thing, I wouldn't trust an ebay Coilover even if it was going on a cavalier... And I hate Them!

Wisher2
2GN Member

Post by Wisher2 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:26 am

In my opinion I let the professionals take care of my auto parts.......I trust a company that manufactures a part that goes on thier own car and wins professional drag races or rally races or what ever the case may be.........Honestly go to the store and splurge on the newest addition of Modified mag or if you are CHEAP sit in the store and just read it there.......Some people might argue that the article is just a ploy for large manufacturers to gain business but ultimately if you really wanted to know how good or shitty your cheap products off of e-bay or what ever else....take a trip to where ever the manufacturer is for the part that you have and see how they produce them.....see what type of materials they use.....check out the people that are actually making them.....even if the part does work.....how long will it last for....could it altimately be the demise of your engine.....those are things to concider when purchasing of off brand parts from small company's with no name....

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 am

wisher; thats the way to make an argument... good job on stating your points, unlike orangenuts and just insult people.
Image Sam-I-Am

Wisher2
2GN Member

Post by Wisher2 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:33 am

thank You dblsg

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:50 pm

some of you need to watch your mouths. im not gonna step down just to keep from getting into a fight with one of you cheap ass ebay lovers. get a good job and pay for quality. wisher once again has some great points, and the article in modified is very informative. maybe some of you can buy the issue on ebay.

like i said before, if youre willing to admit that youre cheap and you dont care much for your cars health, then this isnt aimed at you. this is for those of you who think ebay parts are actually quality parts. take wishers advice and go see where things things are made. if you even can. i bet 75% of the ebay parts are just cheap knockoffs of real parts (or not real even) that are made by companies who also make furniture and other comletely irrelevant appliances. this is fact, not just my guess. cheap parts dont have corporate backing or cust. support. i bet most of the parts cant even be traced to the manufacturer. and are they legal? probably not. my KN has a CARB cert. # and not ONE knock off can claim that (unless the CARB plate is fake too, which is often the case).

my claims are backed by facts and my opinions are backed by proven research and common sense. if you dont like it, youre probably a cheapy with a ebay part, and you may even honestly believe that its quality. it might be good for the market to buy and sell fake parts, but it makes the community as a whole look bad. same goes for knockoff bodykits and everything else. but when were talkin about performance hard parts, cheap just doesnt cut it. i can understand getting things like exterior/interior 'all show' mods for cheap, but parts that affect the performance of the car need to be quality. these knockoff companies are starting to make IMF's, TB's, headers, exhausts, engine bay accessories, etc and soon enough some of you guys are gonna have knock off CARS altogether, which is just sad.
-Derek

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”