winter CAI driving

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
OB
Former Moderator

winter CAI driving

Post by OB » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:22 am

i live in northern CA and the winters here arent too bad, but we get into the 30's and see PLENTY more rain than most people think. luckily its only rained 3 times this season, but that just means its gonna be a long spring. anyways, i have a CAI, and i want to know more about the dangers of hydrolock and water damage. what are the chances of suckin in dangerous amounts of water when driving normally? I drop off the throttle thru medium puddles (1-3" deep) and try to avoid any huge puddles altogether. I also try never to rev high and open up the throttle in wet conditions to prevent water getting in. MY filter has a rain boot on it that KN designed to keep water out, and i designed a custom sheild that i bolted directly under my filter to help avoid splashing.

like i said, theres not much bad weather and ill rarely, if ever, have to drive thru water more than 1". it just seems like when im on the highway and the car infront of me is kicking up crazy mist and splashing my fascia, some of thats gotta get to the filter. am i worrying about nothing or is it easy to get water into the engine with CAI's? thanks and please help
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

ilpadrino
2GN Member

Post by ilpadrino » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:42 am

You are seriously worrying about nothing lol Firstly, you've taken preventive measures already. Secondly, I've been told that you have to drive through water rather than just puddles. It makes sense too because really, it has to be a significant amount of water you're going through to be sucked up through the intake, tubes, and ultimately hydrolocking the car. I think it was on this board that someone said it happened to them but it was because he basically drove through a river.
I live in NY and the biblical rain we experienced the past two months did not do anything to my car. Granted I always avoid splashing through massive puddles, but still, nothing happened.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:28 pm

That happened to Brr, he fucked up his engine from hitting a shitload of water. I just got a bypass valve for extra measures. Better be safe than sorry, if something crazy like that happened to me.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

ilpadrino
2GN Member

Post by ilpadrino » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:52 pm

raul-01 wrote:That happened to Brr, he fucked up his engine from hitting a shitload of water. I just got a bypass valve for extra measures. Better be safe than sorry, if something crazy like that happened to me.
Yeah that's true. Do what you gotta do ;)

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:35 pm

I've had mine for about 2.5 years now... been through 2 winters that includes some really bad snow storms and never had any problems. As long as you drive with some sense and take it slow if you have to go through water you'll be fine.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:30 pm

thats pretty much what i thought. so does a little water hurt anything or is it just BIG gulps that causes hydrolock? whats the deal with bypass valves? what are they and how do they work?
-Derek

dinetuner
2GN Member

Post by dinetuner » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:00 pm

orangeblastsxt wrote:thats pretty much what i thought. so does a little water hurt anything or is it just BIG gulps that causes hydrolock? whats the deal with bypass valves? what are they and how do they work?
a little water shoudnt hurt..maybe might make your engine run off beat for a couple minutes..big gulps is where it is...bypass valves..not too sure but ive seen alot of times where they hamper performance. the purpose of a CAI is to provide colder air and reduce turbelance and rid of anything restricting it.. thats why you get rid of the little tube between the intake manifold and TB becuase it causes turbalance which leads to less air..not sure if im getting my point across...
bad01neon wrote: obviously the 10 year old consented, so its ok lol :lol:

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:22 pm

The Bypass valve is just that... a valve. When the vacuum in the intake tube reaches a certian point from say... it being submerged in water. The valve will open allowing air to reduce the vacuum and prevent water from being sucked in. In order to do this though the filter would need to be nearly submerged to the bottom of the metal tube to create enough of a pressure drop in the system for it to open.... by that time you've probably got some water damage elsewhere.

Also... someone i know (no i dont' have dyno charts) dyno'd their car before they put the bypass valve on and then after.... they saw not change.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:33 pm

My situation was I had a ebay Warm air intake, or a filter bolted directly to my air filter. What happened was, there was one day where we had so much rain, that everything fludded. We'll I was driving in the midle of this damn storm, and I was coming acrossed an intersection where half of it was flooded.
I looked to me left, and rear and I was surrounded by cars. My only option was to go straight. We'll that sent me into a water hole atleast 6"+ deep.....my car died as soon as I passed it. I figured it was a wet ignition. We'll it boiled down to me hitting the puddle splashed enough water to run into my engine compartment, and get sucked up by my cheap filter on TB setup.
Water got sucked into my r/t manifold and right into the chambers of the engine. Cylinder one got the most water, and since water does not compress, my cyl 1 rod descided to go through the front of the block...
Personally, I would not recomend your standard CAI. Depends on where you live is what you should buy. A CAI mounted behind my headlight is fine, but mounted low were my driving lights are is not a good idea......
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #666
(she officially died in 2018 by being donated to a church...seriously)

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:52 am

im in CA and we dont see too much rain, but it does flood sometimes. my main focus in this thread was to find out if and how much water hurts the engine, and if i had anything to worry about sucking in mist from other cars, splashing from small puddles, etc. im not plannin on rollin thru huge lakes that are a foot deep and try to sail around town or anything, just everyday, normal rain driving. thanks for the info guys
-Derek

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:06 pm

Id be more worried about the effects of overly cold air on your gas milage ;)
NoDestiny: 2004 SXT Silver MTx: CAI, Mag Intake, Mag header, Custom made mufflers, Grounding kit, Mopar STS, boogers, Eibach springs, Rear SRT4 struts, 29mm + 24mm hotchkis sways, MPx UPD, Street Prothane MM, P-werks rear strut tower bar, Lots of fun goodies inside, see WWW

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:16 pm

there is no way around it...the colder the intake temps the worse the gas mileage....if you can fool the pcm into thinking that your 30deg intake temp is more than that, then your mpg will be better.
But since the 30deg temps are making more power, your pcm is going to compensate for it....

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:16 am

so i DO get the power but not the MPGs? good explanation that makes sense. thanks
-Derek

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:17 pm

not a problem....
Im dealing with 20-30deg weather here in WNY right now, with 93 in the tank im running around 25mpg. With the warmer temps the pcm backs the timing off a lil and hense you get better mpg.
Im thinking of running either 89 or 91 the next fill up since I wonts probably see 45+ deg untill next spring.... :( My car should run like it does now but get a lil better mpg....

CrashTeam
2GN Member

Post by CrashTeam » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:38 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote:not a problem....
Im dealing with 20-30deg weather here in WNY right now, with 93 in the tank im running around 25mpg. With the warmer temps the pcm backs the timing off a lil and hense you get better mpg.
Im thinking of running either 89 or 91 the next fill up since I wonts probably see 45+ deg untill next spring.... :( My car should run like it does now but get a lil better mpg....
That might explain why my crappy millage has nose dived this tank...

Oh and Orange, Theres prolly 7 inches of snow outside, No problems driving.
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stg2/Toys, 3" TBE, 3"o2, FM Wastegate, AEM Intake, Running 20psi

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:54 pm

the southern teir here in WNY has 2 1/2 feet of snow.....so far I have been lucky and only have 1=2 inches....
But Supposively that will change tonight...

Jimbro727
2GN Member

Post by Jimbro727 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:16 pm

Yeah I've had a CAI for more than a year now, and I'm always cautious about driving through puddles and such, but never had a problem... I've driven through a few puddles where I knew I shouldn't have, and come out fine.. I always coast through.. try and minimize the vacuum.. water is pretty heavy, so the vacuum has to be strong to suck it in, plus if the water is high enough, it will naturally find its way into the filter and up the pipe, and when it's already in the pipe, then it takes less of a vacuum to move it the rest of the way into the engine.. which is why driving through, say, a river, will increase your chances of screwing your engine :-P

My parents also have a Durango, so if it's really bad out, I just take that... but if you don't have a truck to take, just do what everyone said.. use some common sense.. and you should be fine..

--Jim
2003 black auto SXT

Mostly stock, currently gathering info for an SRT-4 swap :-D

1972 Chevelle

Project.. put on hold for now

1975 Pontiac GrandVille convertible

Fun classic summer cruiser.. baby blue ext./white int... new stereo/speakers.. a blast to cruise around in!

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”