Car hesitates/dies

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Car hesitates/dies

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:14 am

Well I got my car back from the body shop. They got the frame pulled and put the fender on along with the hood. All is bueno.

Well I get into the car and it starts up, but its running real rough and rich. Then it dies. :wtf: I think. I drove it down there the past week, car seemed to run fine. AFR's perfect. I start it up a 4th time or so and I hold the revs at 1500rpms and then let go and it seems to idle fine...Go into reverse and then it just dies, and wont start after that. End up getting it towed to my house. Loaded up the 93 oct performance tune. Started the car up, it ran rich and idled at around 12.6 AFR's. So I loaded the custom tune and it idled with a better AFR. Went into first gear and tried to go and it died. I was running short on time and had to be at work mind you, so I pulled the plugs and they were all black...pretty much fouled out and wreacked of fuel. So I threw in some used ones I had which were fine and the car started up for a couple seconds, hesitated, then died. That leaves me here. I don't have much time to work on it, so I thought I would ask here first to get a basis on where to start to fix this issue.

Background on car.

Car was stored for 6 months in garage with battery maintainer. Car made it to autobody shop, seemed to run fine.
SRT-4 with 50 trim, 750cc RC injectors. Damage was done to drivers side fender area, see my thread here viewtopic.php?t=53888

Thanks for any help!

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:18 am

TPS rewire been done? Anything on the map sensor been modified? Clamp or something?

I'm pointing to bad wiring somewhere.

Oh and you'll have to have the custom tune loaded with the rescale for the 750's or else it won't idle because it'll be rich as fuck sending a pulse width for stock injectors.

Also, whats the fuel pressure set at?
05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:19 pm

I would check for any connectors in that general area they may have unplugged. If it ran fine there, it should have ran fine going back.

The body shop that fixed my car actually threw the AIT sensor away, because they didn't remember where it went. Did they think I wouldn't notice?

Also check all the grounds, especially at the tie bar above the headlights. IIRC, that is one of the places for the stock PCM.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Very nice you guys, I will check all that out. Car was in the parking lot during a hail storm, no damage to my knowledge, but a ton of rain, the stock hood was bowed up, I did put the cowl on before the storm, but water could of went in there. Its just odd that its intermittent .

Edit, sorry obdockyle didnt answer your posts. YEs the TPS rewire was done by previous owner.. And the MAP sensor was modified... No idea what the fuel pressure is set at..Way to tell with the DSP>?

Will check grounds...

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:56 am

Yeah the Map/TIP, TPS and IAC were my first thoughts as well. Make sure that the tune you have in there is appropriate for the bar sensor that you have. One of my first tunes was set for 2 bar (stock) sensors, and I had 3 bar sensors, so the car idled like hell.

I think it's dying because it's being flooded with fuel, does it have an aftermarket return line with FPR?

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:38 pm

IT has a boomba fuel rail, but I don't see a FPR. Just RC 750's that are soldered in to stock harness. Previous owner was a mechanic. Car ran perfect when he had it. Bad gas maybe? I mess around with it tomorrow since I have to help a friend today with his car. :lol:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Dsp will not show fuel pressure as far as I know. If it was bad gas I wouldn't think it would've ran fine to the shop.

I'm going to stick to a wiring problem. Something that isn't stock would be my guess.
05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

dysphagia
2GN Member

Post by dysphagia » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Wanna put some pictures up of the TPS/MAP wiring?

The body shop may have had to unplug the PCM for the repairs have you checked to see if the connectors are all the way in? I had a similar issue and thats what it turned out to be.
This site used to be good....

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”