Some things everyone should know (but may not)

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Danteneon
Former Moderator

Some things everyone should know (but may not)

Post by Danteneon » Thu May 12, 2011 10:19 am

While this post is in no way a replacement of our FAQ section, there are a few general bits of information that any car owner that cares about their car at all should know. Some of this info is useful, and some is more of "Huh, I didn't know that. I learned something today." kind of stuff. So here we go...

First, Read The FAQs! <-----Yes, it's a link.

Octane Ratings

Our cars are designed to run on a certian octane fuel. Regular Neons are designed to run on 87 octane, R/Ts and ACRs on 91 (but the computer will pull ignition timing if 87 is run at the sacrifice of power), and SRT-4s at 91. The reason 91 is the highest listed is because that is the limit in CA.

If you run a higher octane in your car (excluding running 93 instead of 91 since the computers are capable of running it), you will not burn all of the fuel that enters the combustion chamber. The unburnt fuel will be dumped into the exhaust and flow right to the cat, which will try to burn it there. The cat isn't made to do this and will over time clog up.

The reason your car cannot burn the higher octane gas is because your computer controls the time and duration of your spark. Higher octane fuels take longer time to burn completly. Your PCM will not allow you to make use of the higher octane, sorry.

So, when using a higher octane gas than is recomended, you are...

Spending more in gas than you have to

Not using all the gas you paid for

Slowly killing your converter by dumping un-burnt fuel into it.

Still sound like a good idea?

Now, to those who say that the more expensive gas is better for the engine...BS. That is a marketing gimmick only. Each brand of fuel retailer has their own additive package that they add to the gas, but all grades get it. The only thing you need to worry about when it comes to fuel is getting clean gas. Not gas from a station that has 25 year old tanks that have 6-12" of water in the bottom of them.

So there you have it. Don't fall for the placebo effect and stop wasting your money. Enjoy.

Speed Limiters (This applies to all cars sold in the US)

Most Neons have their top speed limited to 118mph. The R/T and ACR are limited to 130mph, and the SRT is limited to 149mph (IIRC). This is not because the car can't go faster or that it is bad for the engine, but rather because of the tires the car comes equiped with. DOT regulations state that a car or truck sold in the US will not exceed the speed that the tires are rated for. Yep, that's the whole reason. If your SXT came with better tires from the factory, you could go faster. Of course this is a moot point really since you aren't going to be able to go that fast on public roads anyway. Right?

Component Clearances

Ever wonder why your stock wheels and tires sit so far inside the wheel wells? Do you still get pissed at the fact that the SRT has 6" wide wheels from the factory and has the turning radius of a bus? Or that the exhaust tips sit so far away from the bumper. DOT regs are your answer yet again. The DOT regulates clearance measurements for every part of a car that has to do with the supension, steering, and exhaust. So if having a 7" wide wheel on a SRT would put the tire too close to the body or control arm when at full lock while turning, it does not get DOT appoval. This is the reason for many last minute changes to a cars design or equipment choices. The wheels the SRT was supposed to have were much cooler (TSW VX1 17x7) but didn't cut the mustard with the regs. This is also way the steering rack had to be limited so much. Sad really.

Exhaust Back Pressure

This comes up a lot. Too many people have a mis-understanding on how much back pressure is best for their car. Here is the answer. You ready?

No back pressure is best. Any engine. Any car. Always.

The myth that some back pressure was good for an efficient exhaust was started sometime in the 50s or 60s by some people that didn't know what they were talking about. But enough other people heard this mis-information and it still exsits for some reason.

The one factor that makes a good exhaust system is proper flow. This is dictated by the path the exhaust has to follow, which will be dictated by the number, degree, and quality of the tubing bends and by pipe diameter. Too small a diameter and the flow is restricted, which does not let the engine breathe properly. Too large a diameter and it will actually cool the exhaust gases too quickly and create back pressure (by reducing flow). This is probably where the mis-conception that some engines need back pressure comes from. People throw a large exhaust on and they lose power so they assume that the lack of back pressure caused the problem when they actually created back pressure in the system.

The best exhaust will be designed to evacuate the gases as quickly as possible while maintaining flow, reducing back presure, keeping sufficient temperature and adequate scavenging. Scavenging will actually pull the exhaust gas out of the combustion chamber, helping the engine breathe even better.

Remember, an engine is basiclly an air pump. The more air you can get into and out of it, the more power it can make. Now forget about getting the right amount of back pressure and breathe.

Thanks to Frank for filling in the too large exhaust info.

I'll add more to this as time goes on. Thanks for reading :D
Last edited by Danteneon on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

r34neon01
2GN Member

Post by r34neon01 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:40 am

Very good to know, thank you. :thumbup:

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000099

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Thu May 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Huh, I really did learn something new today, thanks Dante :thumbup:
www.JohnyR.net - Web development

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Thu May 12, 2011 2:29 pm

My srt shut off at 154 according to gps before I put dsp on it.

Great info.
05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Thu May 12, 2011 4:51 pm

I'm going to work on getting some of this kind of stuff added to the FAQ section. The octane discussion has been driving me nuts for years, I just want a hot link to send the noobs for schooling. Looks like you're right there with me eh John? :)
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu May 12, 2011 5:02 pm

Yep, pretty much. :lol:

If you want to throw the info into the specific areas, go for it. Some of this info is pretty tough to place (the DOT regs for clearances being one).

C1DoG
2GN Member

Post by C1DoG » Thu May 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Danteneon wrote:Yep, pretty much. :lol:

If you want to throw the info into the specific areas, go for it. Some of this info is pretty tough to place (the DOT regs for clearances being one).

Maybe start a sticky about DOT regulations under the general FAQ section? Just my 2 cents. :lol:
Drove my neon until it was killed in a flood.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu May 12, 2011 5:08 pm

Not a bad idea :-k

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Thu May 12, 2011 5:15 pm

To be honest, I don't think the average 2gn user cares much about why modern cars are built the way they are. The tire/speed topic is an obvious exception, but beyond that I can't see us needing an entire section dedicated to DOT regs.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu May 12, 2011 5:22 pm

True that. It's just some obscure knowlege that someone may want...for some reason or another.

I could add why there is a difference in US spec and Euro spec headlamps, taillamps, etc. It would still be pretty useless :lol:

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Thu May 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Dante, you are such a :angel13:

:lol:

I used that one because I don't think it's ever been used before
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Thu May 12, 2011 5:33 pm

People on SRTforums will fight you to the death on whether the SRT has a speed limiter. Good info to have though, John. :)

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Re: Some things everyone should know (but may not)

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Thu May 12, 2011 10:38 pm

Danteneon wrote:The R/T and ACR are limited to 130mph
:withstupid:
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri May 13, 2011 3:01 am

Danteneon wrote:I could add why there is a difference in US spec and Euro spec headlamps, taillamps, etc. It would still be pretty useless :lol:
Maybe, but I would be interested to read about it anyway. :D
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

RawkBunny
2GN Member

Post by RawkBunny » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:06 pm

Good stuff to know, glad i've been lurking around so much to read this. I put 93 in earlier this week and almost had a heart attack when I started reading the post, but its ok to do so?

Better to put 91 anyway?
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #116

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Nope, 93 is fine. The reason 91 is listed is because that's the highest octane you can get in CA. The car is designed to run on 91, so you can run that.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:21 pm

With boost, or an R/T, the higher the better. With what's available to the public at the filling stations, you really can't get anything with enough octane to do any damage.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:39 pm

100 octane is more fun :twisted:

honda_zman
2GN Member

Post by honda_zman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:40 pm

nice write up
01 neon low and slow
98 civic turbo'd sohc 11psi

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Added info about backpressure.

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:06 pm

This is excellent read simple to understand but very informative for me its one of those "just cool shit to know the real reason" and not 100 people say 100 different things. keep adding ill keep reading!!!!!!!!!!!!
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm Diablo0 and I approve of this thread. :thumbup:

:lol:
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

wickedgood4684
2GN Member

Post by wickedgood4684 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Thank you for the info about the back pressure. I've been telling this to people forever now. You also mention scavenging which is what you want, not back pressure. A++ thread!
SRT-4 Challenge series
Season 1 Champion: gotheframe/tim and corey
Season 2 Champion: Greasydeuce/Dmonday
NTCC
Winter Series:
Drivers Chamion: Neon Nick/Squat BIG
Team Champions: Team Acura: miniMench & wicked221
Rookie of the year: Patriot 01/xxPATRIOT 01xx

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:18 pm

And thank you for showing me that I misspelled "scavenging" and back pressure :lol: I suck at spelling and I have no spell check on this computer.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Maybe add that if the pipe is too big it will actually cool the exhaust gases too quickly and create back pressure (by reducing flow). This is probably where the mis-conception that some engines need back pressure comes from. People throw a large exhaust on and they lose power so they assume that the lack of back pressure caused the problem when they actually created back pressure in the system.

The best exhaust will be designed to evacuate the gases as quickly as possible while maintaining flow, reducing back presure, keeping sufficient temperature and adequate scavenging.

In the end...

Back pressure is always bad, increased flow is always good.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Is Dante a robot?

/So Much Information
02 Neon R/T(Blackula) - Old and busted
05 SRT-4(Serenity) - Sold
20th Anniversary Golf GTI - Sold
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

LilSparkPlug wrote:Mmmm beefy :rofl:

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:36 pm

I think he is part robot :lol:
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:03 am

Thank you for adding that info Frank. I knew I was forgetting something :thumbup:

And no, I are not a bot. :lol:

rtsrt4
2GN Member

Post by rtsrt4 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:40 pm

A note concerning fuel octane. My local station(BP) recently went from 93 octane to 91 octane. He explained that when the state inspecters show up un-announced the gas must test the same or higher than what is posted on the pump. His change was due to that particular batch and has since gone back to 93. He told me that the 91 octane tests at 92 or 93. Remember this when the pump is labeled 93.

sdiuu8w
n00b

Post by sdiuu8w » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:22 am

he explained that his friend was "excited because I am a flaming homo spam bot".

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”