My Latest Mod... Thanks Ziebart

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
ejclide
2GN Member

My Latest Mod... Thanks Ziebart

Post by ejclide » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Hey guys, check out my latest Mod!
I felt the grille on my dash was hurting my Blower motor performance, so I removed it!

On a more serious note, I want to get some opinions on how I should handle this situation.

Here is what happened. I took my car to Ziebart for an interior detailing. My appointment was at 9am, and they said they needed 4 hours to complete the car. I didn't get a call until 4:30 when I called them and they said they were about to call me and say it was done. I got there, picked up the keys from the Manager, then proceeded to leave. Once I got in the car, I immediately noticed the grille from the windshield defroster was COMPLETELY detached and just laying on the duct below it. I am very aware that the grille on the dash gets VERY brittle over time and will break very easily. What really bothers me about this situation is that the owner did not call me, or even tell me about this issue before I got in my car to find that it had happened. I took the grille that was completely detached inside, showed it to the manager and said "this was attached when I brought the car here". He came out, took a look, and said that he'd see what he needed to do to make it right.

At this point I knew what he was going to say when he called me. His tech would tell him that the part was very brittle and broke just by being touched, blah blah. Sure enough that's what I got. He is offering to let me bring it back and have the tech try to reattach it, but I think we can all agree that it will either not work or look like shit.

Am I being irrational for being pissed about this? The way I see it, I brought the car to them in a certain condition, and I got it back with a part broken that wasn't broken when they received it. Replacing the part will cost me $205. I realize this is much more than the value of the service I paid for, but I've managed not to break that grille every time I've wiped my dash down.

On another note, the tech that wiped down my dash with one of the greasiest protectants ever also felt that the clear plastic on my cluster needed it as well. wiping it off proved ineffective, then using windex to get it off created that horrible white milky film over the plastic that I ended up taking the cluster out of the car to fix. (a little polishing compound did the trick). That's just a useless sidenote.
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 pm

Um, Wow.

I could see maybe breaking part of it, then stopping. But the whole thing?

I would call a regional manager.

Hell I've lifted mine just a bit a few times - without removing the one crew that is left, and never broke it worse than how it was when I bought it. To completely bust it, from wiping it down, is total BS.
Bill
Probably shouldn't listen to anything your penis says, that guy's a dick.
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:03 am

Stefanina Mays
Customer Service Administrator
Ziebart International Headquarters
1290 E Maple Rd.
Troy, MI 48007-1290
Phone: 248-588-4100 Option 4
Fax: 248-588-1444
Or: customerservice@ziebart.com

I received an email from this lady back in 2009 when my SRT started having plug rust issues and the Ziebart location that did the rustproofing refused to fix it. There was a 360 degree difference in the attitude of the local assistant manager after I contacted Customer Service. :D
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:11 am

Bawawahahaha!

Gramps brings out his own Ban Hammer! :rockon:
Bill
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:16 am

:laughing3:
You betcha! No one messes with my friends. :beatstick:

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:24 am

lol, thanks gramps!

The guy seems like he's trying to help, but I really don't feel like glueing the part back in place is going to look any better (or last), and I still can't get over feeling like they took their chances seeing if I would even notice or care.

Maybe I'll just bypass him and see what customer service has to say about it. I think when I tell them about them not being up front about the issue they will understand...

Thanks guys, needed to vent!
-Eric

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:18 am

They were definitely hoping you wouldn't notice. It does not matter that this part has a history of becoming brittle and breaking off over time. When you go to a professional they know this and are supposed to have procedures in place to avoid it happening in their shop. Chew them out to customer service and DON'T leave out anything. even go into how you had to do extra work to remove all that greasy residue they left behind.Make sure that when you hang up that phone the customer service people believe that this was tragic for you. This is the only way they will relay the importance of making this right to the store manager who should be thinking about how he should be reworking his resume right before he kisses your ass and tells you how good your last meal still tastes. Do it right and who knows, you may get an entire new dash top out of it.
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

RawkBunny
2GN Member

Post by RawkBunny » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Terrible customer service...make them refund you money to cover the cost of fixing what they damaged - ESPECIALLY since they didn't try to tell you up front what happened, they basically waited to see if you'd notice....I hate being "that person" but you trusted them with your car, and they promised to clean it, not break it. Making a little racket will nip that situation in the bud.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #116

BigMac
2GN Member

Post by BigMac » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:00 am

Ziebart still exists?!
Mac's 04 SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:31 am

Lolz, yes they do, but they have a very low key presence.

At least in my area, you never see ads for them, nada. If you didn't drive down the street they are located, you would never know they existed.
Bill

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

BigMac
2GN Member

Post by BigMac » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:07 am

Wow, I had no idea. :D

Apologies for thread jack.
Mac's 04 SRT-4

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:30 pm

So here's the skinny guys...

I sent an email to the customer service rep, and I got a reply from her saying that the franchise owner would have to handle my concerns and that he has his own customer service dept for that.

So who did I get a call from? The same guy I dealt with before. Again, he is insisting that I bring it in for his guy to try to reattach it. I guess he just doesn't get the fact that it wasn't broken before, and now it is. I don't want it glued back together. I work for a company that manufactures instrument panels, and I've tried doing what he's talking about many times. It's NOT going to look good at all if it even works.

So I guess I just give him the ultimatum? Fix it right, or you'll never see me or ANY person that I know ever again.

On a more pleasant note, Discount Tire made me very happy. They told me when I bought my wheels and tires I would get two $100 rebates. I only got one. They're going to make sure I get the other. I also complained that I got my wheels and tires a week after I was told they'd be there, and the guy I talked to handed me $50 cash and said here's a $50 instant rebate. I ended up getting a $900 set of wheels and tires for about $600. Yay
-Eric

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:Stefanina Mays
Customer Service Administrator
Ziebart International Headquarters
1290 E Maple Rd.
Troy, MI 48007-1290
Phone: 248-588-4100 Option 4
Fax: 248-588-1444
Or: customerservice@ziebart.com

I received an email from this lady back in 2009 when my SRT started having plug rust issues and the Ziebart location that did the rustproofing refused to fix it. There was a 360 degree difference in the attitude of the local assistant manager after I contacted Customer Service. :D
Don't meant to pick Gramps, but wouldn't a 360 leave you in the same predicament as when you started? :lol:

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:37 am

haha, he jynxed me...
-Eric

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:45 am

FAC3L3SS wrote:Don't meant to pick Gramps, but wouldn't a 360
leave you in the same predicament as when you started? :lol:
You're right, I should have said 180 degrees. Do I have egg on my face. :tardbang:
ejclide wrote:haha, he jynxed me...
Hope not.

Did you use a major credit card to pay Ziebart? You have some rights through your issuing bank. Is this Ziebart a member of the BBB or local chamber of commerce? A last resort- you are legally allowed to picket businesses- just check your local laws about where you can stand to display your picket sign.

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:12 am

Hmmmmm, well worse outcome is you have them refund the money and you repair it yourself. I'd imagine a hobby shop would have the right glue/tools to at least get the grille remounted; a little ingenuity might be needed.

This is why I'll never have someone detail my car.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”