Buying an SRT, Tips?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
ShanesNGC
2GN Member

Buying an SRT, Tips?

Post by ShanesNGC » Thu May 16, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm going to start looking for an SRT soon, and I want to know any common problems (besides 3rd gear) that I should be looking for in these cars? I want to know anything I can before I hop in one and test drive.

timk225
2GN Member

Post by timk225 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:12 am

Biggest problem will be previous owners who were boy racers. You know, the type in their late teens - early 20's, they throw a couple mostly appearance mods on a car and think they are something cool while everyone else says "look at what that jackhole did to that car".

They race around and think they are something special, because they put a K&N filter on, but they really don't know JACK about how to properly modify a car. Their SRT-4 was bought for them by their parents, because they are uneducated and don't have a good paying job, yet they find money to smoke cigarettes and put a huge stereo and big bass speakers in the car, again thinking they are cool, when in fact they are showing everyone how retarded they are.

alsey_seven
2GN Member

Post by alsey_seven » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:39 am

:withstupid:

sure your young go buy one and wreck it makes NSRT rare :rofl:

first off finding one in good condition is vary hard. a cheap one i would never buy, except mine idiot alot tickets and sold it cheap.

Maintenance is expensive. better be ready to spend some cash...

and last but not least

Insurance is going to kill you. unless mommy and daddy are paying
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000043 For 2000 neon

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000125 For 2001 R/T

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:45 am

If it is modded: look over the car with a fine-tooth comb.

If it appears stock: look over the car with a fine-tooth comb.

:lol:

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:15 pm

timk225 wrote:Biggest problem will be previous owners who were boy racers. You know, the type in their late teens - early 20's, they throw a couple mostly appearance mods on a car and think they are something cool while everyone else says "look at what that jackhole did to that car".

They race around and think they are something special, because they put a K&N filter on, but they really don't know JACK about how to properly modify a car. Their SRT-4 was bought for them by their parents, because they are uneducated and don't have a good paying job, yet they find money to smoke cigarettes and put a huge stereo and big bass speakers in the car, again thinking they are cool, when in fact they are showing everyone how retarded they are.
Explains the current breed of SRT owners I see around that didn't have a reg neon first.
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

iThane
2GN Member

Post by iThane » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:12 pm

alsey_seven wrote:Insurance is going to kill you. unless mommy and daddy are paying
My insurance went up $1 a month when I went from insuring my SXT to the SRT :lol:
My Progress Log
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000104

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:55 pm

iThane wrote:
alsey_seven wrote:Insurance is going to kill you. unless mommy and daddy are paying
My insurance went up $1 a month when I went from insuring my SXT to the SRT :lol:
Insurance in the states is dirt cheap anyways
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:04 pm

JeffM wrote:If it is modded: look over the car with a fine-tooth comb.

If it appears stock: look over the car with a fine-tooth comb.

:lol:
and if you cant VERIFY that everything is OK. assume its not and price accordingly. And you best be adept at fixing everything ;-)

My brother and I recently bought a project SRT, when we looked at it the kid said "i dont know it just quit". after we drug it home here is the short list of BS that we came across, im sure im forgetting some:

throttle cable frayed
fuel regulator missing o-ring (low pressure +lean)
holes in block
pcm ground screw wallowed out & loose
left front inner brake pad on BACKWARDS
less than half the bolts holding the exhaust on... loosely
ex mani nearly cracked ALL the way around
no front crash bar
evidence of FIRE from oil pressure switch leaking
POS worthless ebay BFMIC cracked radiator support
AIT sensor wire CUT/replaced with junk aftermarket
misrouted vacuum lines
missing inner fender liners

We saw some before we bought it and just assumed everything else the PO touched was garbage. Priced it accordingly and after all that we still feel we got it for a good deal. Drove it for the first time this evening with the new engine ;-)
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

ShanesNGC
2GN Member

Post by ShanesNGC » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:24 pm

I'm willing to keep saving until I find a nice one. I'm hoping to find a stock one, as I want to keep it stock. Insurance isnt a big issue because thats the only bill my parents make me pay so 200 a month wont kill me. I'm finding ones around here with 100k miles for around 7k - 8k.

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:52 pm

ShanesNGC wrote:I'm willing to keep saving until I find a nice one. I'm hoping to find a stock one, as I want to keep it stock.
good it will last longer and you'll have less issues with stock parts. but good luck finding a stock one.
ShanesNGC wrote:Insurance isnt a big issue because thats the only bill my parents make me pay so 200 a month wont kill me. I'm finding ones around here with 100k miles for around 7k - 8k.
:shock: i just insured said project car (full coverage) for that much for *6 months*.

damn i feel old.
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

ShanesNGC
2GN Member

Post by ShanesNGC » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Ya Im guessing a stock one will be around 9-10k. Are their any ways to find out if a car has been stripped from modded back to stock?

alsey_seven
2GN Member

Post by alsey_seven » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:43 pm

why do u want one anyways? I've had alllll three models. and One thing i can tell you I hate my srt4 there little bitchy cars that always want attention. Sure there fun to drive but ends up costing me alot of money.

example thought one each model

base neon= Slow ass car its great MPG and reliable if taken cared of. Cops wont even bother at looking at you. nor any stupid ass street loser.

2gn R/T= fast great touring car, because of the 3.94 T-350 gearbox love taking it to the mountains. almost all r/t's have the extra features, fantastic MPG. Cops won't look at you. but everyone else will want to race you. and still looks better then srt4

SRT4= Super fast...... umm treble MPG every time i see my gas gauge at 1/2 tank i know its time to refill. looks ok Needs a lot of care more then any car I've owned. Cops will keep an eye on you. Every stupid ass racer won't leave you alone.

I own all three and in the end I will sell my base neon and Srt-4, and forever keep the rare 2001 dodge neon R/T
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000043 For 2000 neon

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000125 For 2001 R/T

ShanesNGC
2GN Member

Post by ShanesNGC » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Want something with good power that's decently cheap. Srt's are pretty fast for under 10k. Plus, I've kinda grown fond of my neon.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:39 pm

ShanesNGC wrote:Want something with good power that's decently cheap. Srt's are pretty fast for under 10k. Plus, I've kinda grown fond of my neon.
What everyone is trying to warn you about is:
SRT-4's are expensive to own !!!
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:51 pm

I drive a bright yellow stage 3 SRT-4 with a loud ass exhaust and in the year I've owned it I haven't been bothered by one cop and they don't even seem to notice it even. When I drove a stock red sxt with SRT body panels I got 2 speeding tickets within a year so the SRT isnt a guaranteed cop magnet.
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

BigMac
2GN Member

Post by BigMac » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:17 am

To the OP: Examine the engine compartment like you have OCD. Does the wiring look like it's been messed with? Do the vacuum lines look like this? If things look hacked up, be wary, especially if the stock vacuum-line layout has been modified.

You can google for images of the stock WGA (wastegate actuator) so you can tell whether the car you has examine has the original or an aftermarket replacement.

Buying from a private owner is always preferable IMO, because it can give you a good idea of the owner's maturity.

Good luck.
Mac's 04 SRT-4

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”