Got my sister in a 2gn

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Got my sister in a 2gn

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:49 am

So my sister had finally found a car, a 2003 SXT Auto. Solar yellow, and quite haggard looking (few rust spots, had been in a minor wreck where a previous owner drove into the ditch).

Anyway, when we pick up the car later this week... Just wondering what I should look more closely into.

Also, how difficult is it to change the steering wheel? The airbag had deployed and they have an Autozone horn button. Door check straps I think we can get from Modern (door pops as you open it). How well is the Auto trans? I can do a flush on it for nearly no cost, but would you suggest that? It's got 85k.

Other than the trans, I'm probably going to do a fresh oil change, get fresh copper plugs in, run seafoam, maybe flush the powersteering, and whatever else.

Can't wait to get an SRT... Gonna be a lil Neon family lol.
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:44 am

I would get an external trans cooler before you do much else. They always break in the radiator and that's what causes the issue with these transmissions breaking. Flush should benfine bAlso the rear lateral link bushings and front front control arm bushings should probably be done at a minimum.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:18 pm

There is a how to for fixing the check strap popping issue. Requires a drill and a rivet tho.

viewtopic.php?t=31531

Steering wheel isn't bad, you just need a puller, ratchet and socket to fit the steering wheel retaining nut, and the puller.

Hopefully the clockspring is still in good shape. While you have the wheel off you could ohm out the clockspring to verify the circuits are in good shape. Just be sure to mark it, so you know where center is, and return it to the proper spot/amount of turns that you move it.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Is an external cooler easy to install?

And as far as the steering wheel, it isn't centered. Is the clock spring what controls the turn signal stalk to turn off automatically? If that functions correctly, does that mean the clockspring is good?

And yes, I'll have to take a look at the bushings. I haven't even done mine, and I'm over 120k lol... =/
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:23 pm

External cooler is wicked easy. Just unhook the hoses from the OEM cooler, and get longer hoses to an external one.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:15 pm

The clockspring is what connects the horn, air bag and Speed Control to the wire harness. It is a wire ribbon wound inside a case. It is called a clockspring, because it resembles a wound spring in a clock.

Once you have the damaged airbag out of the way, you will see this:

The air bag Squib pulls straight out. you may need a small screwdriver to pry under it.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:35 am

never saw a clockspring opened up before, interesting :thumbup:

congrats andrew on getting your sis in a neon. i'd also replace the trans filter when you flush it as well.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:37 am

Pics courtesy of Gnuserup. From his Cruise control How to's.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”