New job equals new opportunities! What should/can I upgrade?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
raffobaghdo
n00b

New job equals new opportunities! What should/can I upgrade?

Post by raffobaghdo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Hello guys. Just started my first job and I will be making 400-500 every two weeks. Not bad considering it's my first job and I'm 18. I love my Neon so I would like to upgrade some things. Right now it's pretty much all stock. Most of the money I had in savings went to major and minor repairs. So, I really never had any time to add new "upgrades". I had to replace a subframe, all motor mounts, tires, battery, pcv valve, clockspring, wheel bearing, axle, both oxygen sensors, and a few more things.

All I'm trying to say is the car is going great with no issues. "Knock on wood."

I was thinking of actually upgrading my rims. Noting flashy but I do like the SRT Alloys. Would they fit okay with my 2000 Plymouth Neon? Meaning as the bolt pattern and rim width? Thanks.
Even a genius asks questions.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:46 pm

I'd do maintenance items so you can make sure you can drive the car for a long time. No use in having SRT wheels on a car with a broken timing belt.

Do the timing belt/water pump/tensioner, while you're add it, add a cam to the head, either a 95 cam, or a magnum cam, both can be used with stock valve springs, and put an underdrive pedal on. Change the transmission fluid in it, and if it's an automatic get the trans filter changed.

SRT wheels will fit just fine, you can use 205/40/17, 205/45/17, 215/40/17 or 215/45/17 tires. 215/40/17 get closest to matching your current tire size so the speedometer wont be off, but all will be pretty close. You can also do some suspension work to make the car more fun to drive, like lowering springs for now, or maybe a set of coilovers if you can afford a set of racelands, they're about $400 a set.
So many neons so little time.

raffobaghdo
n00b

Post by raffobaghdo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:23 pm

INVUJerry wrote:I'd do maintenance items so you can make sure you can drive the car for a long time. No use in having SRT wheels on a car with a broken timing belt.

Do the timing belt/water pump/tensioner, while you're add it, add a cam to the head, either a 95 cam, or a magnum cam, both can be used with stock valve springs, and put an underdrive pedal on. Change the transmission fluid in it, and if it's an automatic get the trans filter changed.
I never thought about the timing belt or water pump. My car is racking up miles and almost reaching 180K. Seeing as the previous owner was a spoiled brat. Dealer even told me lol. I highly doubt she ever took it some place to maintain it. Thank you very much! I'll add it to my list.

Just wondering, is there any way I can lower my rear end too? It sits way too high and I can't really see anything when I'm backing out. I can send a pic later in the morning to show you what I mean. Can this be an issue with alignment or something else?

g_force58
2GN Member

new job

Post by g_force58 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:44 am

The 2gn Neons do sit high in the back. Doubtful it has anything to do with the alignment. But if you haven't done it yet, add a 4 wheel alignment to your to do list. While they are in there have them check the steering rack for play, and the front lower control arm bushings along with the ball joints.
To Conquer or to Die

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:04 am

IIRC, you can put SRT springs in the rear to drop it a little. This won't work if you use SRT struts.

That would be the cheapest way.

Bank as much money as you can. Then when you need a major repair, the funding is there. Or when the time comes for another car, (shit happens) you won't need to finance as much.

When it is time for struts, or you plan on lowering it, coil overs are the best overall solution if you want to replace all the components. By the time you buy everything new for struts/springs/components, you are almost to decent coil over pricing.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

iThane
2GN Member

Post by iThane » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:37 pm

INVUJerry wrote:I'd do maintenance items so you can make sure you can drive the car for a long time. No use in having SRT wheels on a car with a broken timing belt.
+1.

I love the way my car looks and drives but the knocks, squeaks, and whistles only give me something to be embarrassed by. I've put a hold on mods until I get my car all straightened out first.

You can never go wrong with suspension though. Lowering my car made all the difference in the world and is still probably my most proud upgrade. I look back at those 4x4 status pictures and face palm every time..
My Progress Log
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000104

raffobaghdo
n00b

Post by raffobaghdo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:21 pm

I guess I spoke too soon. My neon just got a P0420 Check Engine Light Code after 300 miles. Two weeks ago I thought it was gone. I changed the upstream 02 Sensor and downstream. Changed the PCV Valve also since it was broken. It worked until yesterday when it popped up again.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:48 pm

You could try the spark plug non fouler on the downstream to see if it helps, vs replacing the cat.

If you do decide to replace the cat, it is an opportunity for an upgrade. Get a universal cat, a 2.5 ID flex joint and have it welded to your original cat's inlet flange. The oem flex joint is less than 2" on the inside.

Details here:
viewtopic.php?t=66375

This may cost a little more to have a shop weld it all up, but you will free up a little top end power, and still be legal.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”