how is the seat back on an 03 SXT made?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
whynot
2GN Member

how is the seat back on an 03 SXT made?

Post by whynot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:11 pm

I do not have any support on the back of the seat, so it feels like I am in a cup. After 1500 miles in 3 days I am dead. and have to fix this along with some other issues.
I found this post viewtopic.php?t=9200&highlight=seatback+support about the seat back. But when I add foam it just pushes out the back more. What is to keep that from happening? and sort of getting some hard to find seat, how can I fix it?

Thanks
Doug

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:00 am

When I took the 1gn seats apart, since the foam was disintegrating, and the driver seat was bent, there is damn little in there for actual support.

Basically just the hoop and the foam. All I have to say is be glad these generally collapse backward when you get rear ended hard. You might be going through the back of the seat otherwise.

Other than replacing the seat, you probably have few options.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

whynot
2GN Member

Post by whynot » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:26 pm

If I pull the cover off, and the hoop is there, and still welded to the frame, Maybe I could but a piece of 1/4 plywood under the foam? This would maybe give it support between the hoops?

Am I going to find anything better and the local JY?

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 pm

I recognized the same.
The standard seats in my 2004 SXT are really uncomfortable on longer trips.
My 2000 leather seats are a lot better, the usual 99-02 non-leather-seats, too.
I made some pictures when I ripped those seats off.
Have to look out for them and post 'em.
a neon - what else ?

whynot
2GN Member

Post by whynot » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:49 pm

so are you saying to get seats from a 99-02? I do not care for leather, but if the clot ones are ok, then that may be something I can look for.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:14 pm

Maybe it's because my '01 had a lot of miles, but after 2 hours in those seats, I wasn't liking them too well either.

Chrysler Concorde seats are pretty comfy for long trips, and are fairly durable when getting rear ended. But they take some work to fit. (Check out the Interior How To section)
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:27 am

posted some Pictures here -

viewtopic.php?p=996119#996119
a neon - what else ?

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:47 am

whynot wrote:If I pull the cover off, and the hoop is there, and still welded to the frame, Maybe I could but a piece of 1/4 plywood under the foam? This would maybe give it support between the hoops?
1 ). Yes - A piece of plywood, (1/4in. to 3/8in.thick?) sandwiched between the back of the foam and the wire hoop, can and will help - I have done this 'modification' to all of my Neon seats. :)

It doesn't have to be anything outrageous, or overly thick .... A piece just tall enough to provide lumbar support, will work. (5 in. 'tall')

NOTE:
This ^ will work, IF there is enough foam left, to work with... If the foam is badly disintegrated or badly deteriorated, then it may be better to consider Option # 2, next. :)

whynot wrote: Am I going to find anything better and the local JY?
2 ). Sure - That, is another possibility.

I have a friend who wanted to replace his front seats in his 2005 SXT (due to a cigarette burn hole or two.)
We found suitable replacements, at the junkyard.

The funny thing is, that I took his 'old' seats, ^ and put those into my '99 Neon, as an 'upgrade'. :D
(I put aftermarket seat covers on all my Neons, so the cig. burn holes, don't bother me.)

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

'Lumbar support' modification - I found a picture !!!

Post by NickKo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:18 am

UPDATE:
I did a quick search to find a picture, to give an illustration, of the 'lumbar support' modification - And found this link:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_112927/article.html

A picture is worth a thousand words, sometimes.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/stati ... 7_10lo.jpg

This ^ is basically, the SAME modification, that I have done to my Neon seats.
It Works. :thumbup:

Note :
It is not necessary, to have to completely remove the seat cover - You can slide up and 'sandwich' the foam or piece of plywood, in between the wire hoop and seat foam.

This 'modification' is easier to do on a 1st gen Neon seat, than a 2nd gen Neon seat - I am speaking from actual experience.
To do this on a 2nd gen seat, is a bit more involved, and may require unbolting / removing the front seat from the car - Due to the different 'configuration' of the wire hoops on the 2nd gen, which have one big 'main' wire loop at the bottom, making it harder to slide the additional support underneath it.
I found that it was easier to add the support, with the seat out of the car, so that I could get a better 'angle' and enough space, for adding the support.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:49 am

Gnuserup wrote:posted some Pictures here -

Those are a lot more substantial than the ones I took apart. Probably because that seat had side bolsters? If my dad didn't scrap them I'll try to get some pics.
Bill
epic

Help support 2GN!

neonrog
2GN Member

Post by neonrog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:37 pm

Gnuserup wrote:posted some Pictures here -

I wonder if there is a way to add suspension webbing material in that seat back to support the foam and keep my back away from those ribs...

The good folks at Corbeau are practically local, but I hate the majority of their seats only because the thigh bolsters make it tough for my less than flexible self to get in and out of. Seriously, my butt doesn't slide around much anyway, so thigh bolsters are a waste.

I've sat in desert rigs with suspension seats and I would love to fit something in the Neon that offers that level of comfort... Concorde seats might be fun too...
If its not an English Mastiff, its just a dog.

whynot
2GN Member

Post by whynot » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:20 pm

my issues are with the back and not the bottom.
From those pictures, looks like I can remove the covers and foam, take off the supports for the side, and install a 1/4 ply between the hoops, and install the foam and cover. That should give me much better support. I should do the bottom while I am at it maybe?
Sometime I think this car was just not made for someone as large as I am. But I need a good MPG car, and the longer I have this, the more I like it.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:38 pm

interesting :-k
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Re: 'Lumbar support' modification - I found a picture !!!

Post by Fuzzyneon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:31 pm

NickKo wrote:UPDATE:
I did a quick search to find a picture, to give an illustration, of the 'lumbar support' modification - And found this link:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_112927/article.html

A picture is worth a thousand words, sometimes.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/stati ... 7_10lo.jpg

This ^ is basically, the SAME modification, that I have done to my Neon seats.
It Works. :thumbup:

Note :
It is not necessary, to have to completely remove the seat cover - You can slide up and 'sandwich' the foam or piece of plywood, in between the wire hoop and seat foam.

This 'modification' is easier to do on a 1st gen Neon seat, than a 2nd gen Neon seat - I am speaking from actual experience.
To do this on a 2nd gen seat, is a bit more involved, and may require unbolting / removing the front seat from the car - Due to the different 'configuration' of the wire hoops on the 2nd gen, which have one big 'main' wire loop at the bottom, making it harder to slide the additional support underneath it.
I found that it was easier to add the support, with the seat out of the car, so that I could get a better 'angle' and enough space, for adding the support.

- Nick
actually for carlisle last year a few guys got a laugh i was using a roll of microfiber clothes on my seat to act as a lumbar i have 01 seats and they do start to suck on long drives
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”