OEM Mopar manually retractable antenna on eBay

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:04 am

Interesting, it looks like they used some kind of metal adapter to hold it, and it is possibly sprung?

I would use locking pliers on "the bulge sitting just under the surface of the fender" if you can get them in there.

Maybe when Gramps gets his, he can post pics of exactly what it looks like. I would use anti seize on the nut of the new one, so there would be hope for future removal.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:11 am

occasional demons wrote:Maybe when Gramps gets his, he can post pics of exactly what it looks like.
And who knows when that might be. :roll: I do have the cable that goes inside of the fender if pics of that might help.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

moe8555
2GN Member

Post by moe8555 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:
occasional demons wrote:Maybe when Gramps gets his, he can post pics of exactly what it looks like.
And who knows when that might be. :roll: I do have the cable that goes inside of the fender if pics of that might help.
He never got back to you with a tracking number?

Does the top of the wire look like my picture? Does it have that stupid clip on top? (look at the picture I posted a couple posts back)

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:03 pm

moe8555 wrote:He never got back to you with a tracking number?
No, he said that there isn't a tracking number as he mailed it to me via air mail. I wish that I had a tracking number as the postmaster at my post office said that she couldn't help me trace the package without one.:banghead:
moe8555 wrote:Does the top of the wire look like my picture? Does it have that stupid clip on top? (look at the picture I posted a couple posts back)

Yup, mine looks just like yours.

moe8555
2GN Member

Post by moe8555 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
moe8555 wrote:Does the top of the wire look like my picture? Does it have that stupid clip on top? (look at the picture I posted a couple posts back)

Yup, mine looks just like yours.
Any chance to take a picture from a few angles so I can try to understand how the thing locks and how to disconnect it?

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Hope that these help. I tried to get more close-ups but they came out blurry.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:57 pm

Interesting, it looks like the body has the lugs in it to lock into the fender cut outs, not 100% sure what the steel ring is actually for, other than maybe a lock washer? Looks like it would dig into the fender, taking paint with it tho.

I don't see how it would really help in keeping it from spinning in any way. Darn near medieval looking.
Bill

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:40 am

Would this help in removing/installing the antenna?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-2013-Mopar ... 27&vxp=mtr

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:29 am

Bad news. I filed a case with eBay since I haven't received the antenna from Germany. After two days, the seller responded to me entirely in German (which is strange since we have communicated in English from the start of the transaction). I wrote back to him today and asked that he please translate so that I can understand him. I have until Friday to ask eBay for my money back. I really want the antenna. :banghead:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Bill

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:27 pm

occasional demons wrote:http://www.bing.com/translator
Thanks OD. I didn't know that was available.

"The buyer has purchased the article 2014 of the 09.Jan. and paid through PayPal. The article as a letter was sent by mail to the 10.Jan, Since only a P.o. box address (PO box) is deposited. This one leaves personal delivery and therefore an insured shipping out. In addition States a shipping with tracking with € 30.--in proportion to the value of the goods and address would not work probably at PO."

What is irritating is that I had given him my street address before I purchased the antenna and mentioned DHL, UPS or FedEx for shipping (so that I would have a tracking number) but he sent it regular mail to my post office box instead. And moe8555 got a tracking number with the antenna that the seller sent to him so I'm confused.

The post office people I have dealt with (locally and federally) have been :tardbang: so I'm on my own here. Plus the fact that, before I contacted eBay, he had always communicated in English- now he writes entirely in German. I wrote back through eBay and asked for him to translate. If nothing is resolved by Friday, I'm asking eBay for a refund. :banghead:

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:28 pm

That does not sound good at all. But even with regular mail from Germany you can have a tracking number. You just have to pay extra for it and he probably was too cheap. If you need help translating the letter just let me know; the automatic translation was obviously a little rough.

In any case, since he sent it without tracking information it also comes with no insurance. Since that was his choosing I think you have every right to back out of the deal. I think the risk is on the sender in this case if it gets lost.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:11 pm

thomas_w wrote:If you need help translating the letter just let me know; the automatic translation was obviously a little rough.
Funny that you should mention that- I had already PM'd you before OD sent me the Bing translation link but deleted it when I used the internet. :lol:

"Der Käufer hat am 09.Jan. 2014 den Artikel gekauft und per Paypal bezahlt
. Am 10.Jan wurde der Artikel als Brief mit der Post verschickt ,
da nur
eine Postfach Adresse ( PO Box ) hinterlegt ist .
Dadurch scheidet eine
persönliche Übergabe und damit ein versicherter Versand aus .
Außerdem
stände ein Versand mit Sendungsverfolgung mit € 30.-- in keinem Verhältnis
zum Warenwert und würde vermutlich bei PO Adresse nicht funktionieren ."

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:51 am

that german Phrase sounds legit.
you know or wanna know what it means?

Item was bought and paid 09 Jan 2014.
Seller sent 10 Jan in a letter cause he only had a po box address and one cannot send insured packet to a po box cause personal hand over is not guaranteed.
30€ shipment with tracking number would be way out of relation to the items value and would maybe not work with po boxes.

Here in Germany you only get a tracking number (with the DHL) if you send it as a insured packet.
A big envelope or a small packet is way cheaper but you will not get any tracking information.

Shipping can take like 4-6 weeks with a packet but sometimes less than a week in an envelope.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:32 am

well sounds legit, how long has it been so far gramps?
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:44 am

Midnight_Rider wrote: What is irritating is that I had given him my street address before I purchased the antenna and mentioned DHL, UPS or FedEx for shipping (so that I would have a tracking number) but he sent it regular mail to my post office box instead.

Not to mention he got the base already... through the proper channels. :tardbang:
Bill

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am

Jenni wrote:...one cannot send insured packet to a po box cause personal hand over is not guaranteed.
Shippers have had packages sent to my post office box before with signature required before pickup. And, had he taken my suggestion about using my street address, there would have been a tracking number because of using a carrier other than regular mail. As it is, he never offered charging me more euros for the type of mail having a tracking number- I would have gladly paid the higher rate.
r/tguy02 wrote:well sounds legit, how long has it been so far gramps?
The seller mailed it on January 10th. eBay estimated that it should have been here no later than the 21st.
occasional demons wrote:Not to mention he got the base already... through the proper channels. :tardbang:
Exactly- same mailing method and the base was mailed three days after the antenna.

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:56 pm

that was just a translation. where do you have that german text from?

some ebay sellers just don't read their messages.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Jenni wrote:that was just a translation. where do you have that german text from?
That was the seller's response to my contacting eBay's resolution center. It is a direct quote.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Ebay's estimated shipping dates are nothing to go by. They're rarely communicating with the seller, it's just their average time. It's been 3 weeks on a cheaply-shipped overseas item. Hang tight.
el. oh. el.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:00 am

Two items were shipped identically, one three days before the other and the second one got here first. I'm out almost $60 total if the antenna doesn't arrive (since the base is useless without it). Plus, with all of the items I've bought through eBay over the years, this is the only time that an item hasn't arrived during their estimated shipping period. But I'm not supposed to be concerned about this. :scratch:

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:41 am

Actually he's right to a degree, I've waited as long as 6 weeks for items coming from Europe and Germany
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:14 am

thomas_w wrote:But even with regular mail from Germany you can have a tracking number. You just have to pay extra for it and he probably was too cheap.
Not according to the seller- here is what he last wrote to eBay:
"i had only a PO box adress - no street adress. In this case a personal handoff is impossible and a track# useless. Shipment with trac#is to costly in due proportion to vaule of item." (spelling and grammar errors his)
I did give him my street address for possible shipping by DHL, UPS or FedEx (and a tracking number) before I purchased the item but he sent it to my post office box address as a letter (without a tracking number) instead. I have asked eBay for a refund.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:03 pm

gtxtreme19 wrote:Actually he's right to a degree, I've waited as long as 6 weeks for items coming from Europe and Germany
All I've done is to go by what eBay recommended. I gave very positive feedback to the seller for the antenna base since it arrived in perfect condition and well within eBay's estimated shipping time. The seller really wasn't very helpful when I tried communicating with him about the antenna and I didn't receive it so I went ahead and followed eBay's suggested procedures.

eBay notified me within the hour that they decided in my favor and that I will be refunded. I am still hoping that the antenna will show up some day and I will then PayPal the funds to the seller. I left neutral feedback about the transaction- I don't think that I could have been any more fair about this.

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:21 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
thomas_w wrote:But even with regular mail from Germany you can have a tracking number. You just have to pay extra for it and he probably was too cheap.
Not according to the seller- here is what he last wrote to eBay:
"i had only a PO box adress - no street adress. In this case a personal handoff is impossible and a track# useless. Shipment with trac#is to costly in due proportion to vaule of item." (spelling and grammar errors his)
I did give him my street address for possible shipping by DHL, UPS or FedEx (and a tracking number) before I purchased the item but he sent it to my post office box address as a letter (without a tracking number) instead. I have asked eBay for a refund.
As far as I remember (and I left Germany over 10 years ago) there are two levels for tracking. The regular one and the one with signature service. My assumption would be that the regular tracking service should work with a PO box. But then again you gave him your street address so that point is pretty much moot anyway.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:13 am

I was frustrated in trying to explain to eBay what happened. My communication with the seller prior to my purchasing the antenna included my street address but I didn't have access to that message since the transaction was completed. I still have hopes that the item will eventually appear (one reads of 40 year old letters finally being delivered :roll: ) and then I'll PayPal the funds to him again.

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:44 pm

No need to pay him again. If you get your money back - it comes directly from paypal and not from the seller. So you can take it as a gift. If you send it to the seller he makes double profit.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:14 pm

I was under the impression if the seller has funds in their account, Pay Pal takes what's available to recover their loss. If no funds are in the account, they take the funds out of what eventually gets deposited.
Bill

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:33 am

:withstupid:
And if this is true, I want to be as fair as possible with the seller. He did a really good job with getting the cable to me- the antenna problem was just a fluke (although a very frustrating fluke). I give him credit since his shipping instructions on eBay said shipping within Germany only but he agreed to ship to the US after I asked. In hindsight, we both should have more specific about shipping expectations and I know going forward to ask for tracking, especially when buying from sellers outside of the US.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Here is the positive (?) eBay feedback the seller gave me: "Glaube Ihm kein Wort -als Käufer gesperrt,!" Jenni or thomas_w: the bing.com translator says that this is "Belief him not a Word as buyers locked!" but would someone please give me a real German-to-English translation? If the literal translation is true, he certainly isn't cutting me any slack, especially when I gave him neutral feedback ("Item not received- seller chose shipping without tracking number. eBay refunded."). :whymewhyme:

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”