Lets say..

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Ramroid
2GN Member

Lets say..

Post by Ramroid » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Lets say i just bought a wrecked 96' AWD eagle talon for 200$. Lets say i have a really clean, low mile 2.4 avenger motor sitting in storage(aka my garage). Lets also say i bought a blown-up 99 2dr Neon RT for again, 200$ off the same guy. Would it be worth attempting an AWD neon? I mean, my WRX has AWD, and i positively love the fact i squat and go.

I've talked to a few friends of mine at a local speed shop, they said it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities to convert the neon into AWD. Size wise they're about the same, it'll just take time and patience since i have the donor car. Just wondering if it'd be unique enough to even hassle with..lol

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:46 pm

You're mixing and matching wrong. DSM AWD drivetrains bolted to the Mitsu 4g63, not the Chrysler 420a. You could certainly fab some stuff up to make the 4g63 fit, but be prepared for lots of cutting and such. And if you can't weld, just stop.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:13 pm

esteinmaier wrote:You're mixing and matching wrong. DSM AWD drivetrains bolted to the Mitsu 4g63, not the Chrysler 420a. You could certainly fab some stuff up to make the 4g63 fit, but be prepared for lots of cutting and such. And if you can't weld, just stop.
Ah, i was wrong on the mixing and matching then. Well i still have a running Awd talon sitting in my garage for 200$ that just needs a head and some body work, so there's that.

neonrog
2GN Member

Post by neonrog » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:00 pm

I can't find the link at present, but there has been a project called the "NeonPrezza" or something like that. AWD Imprezza drivetrain in the Neon body. So if you have serious fabrication skills, sure, its in the realm of possible.

I hate sheetmetal work, and am a firm believer in overkill. *IF* I were to tackle a project like this with what you have on hand, I would use use the entire DSM drivetrain and engine electronics. Use the Neon body. You might have to use the DSM wiring harness in the car as well. That being said, the closest I've come to a project like that was gutting a Ford Ranger of everything (drivetrain, electrical, suspension, interior and dash...). And using everything from a Ford Explorer. Lots was bolt in, plug and play. The wiring harness required serious modifications, but the truck ran on the first twist of the key...

Good luck, but hope you have the skills needed to engineer this one.
If its not an English Mastiff, its just a dog.

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:11 am

neonrog wrote:I can't find the link at present, but there has been a project called the "NeonPrezza" or something like that. AWD Imprezza drivetrain in the Neon body. So if you have serious fabrication skills, sure, its in the realm of possible.

I hate sheetmetal work, and am a firm believer in overkill. *IF* I were to tackle a project like this with what you have on hand, I would use use the entire DSM drivetrain and engine electronics. Use the Neon body. You might have to use the DSM wiring harness in the car as well. That being said, the closest I've come to a project like that was gutting a Ford Ranger of everything (drivetrain, electrical, suspension, interior and dash...). And using everything from a Ford Explorer. Lots was bolt in, plug and play. The wiring harness required serious modifications, but the truck ran on the first twist of the key...

Good luck, but hope you have the skills needed to engineer this one.
Yea,for some reason i thought the Transmission bolted up to the 420a, since the block is the same as in the eclipse. Must have had the wrong information, no wonder i haven't seen it done..lol. I can do alot of fab and welding work. Have full access to a shop, and all their tools whenever i need(uncle that owes me, BIG). Idk, i might research it some more. I was laid off from my job this Jan and i have alot of free time as it is. The money isn't an issue, since i have everything needed as far as i know, but eh. We'll see. I'd love to see and AWD 2 door SRT-4. Just because its completely oddball

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:37 pm

neonrog wrote:I can't find the link at present, but there has been a project called the "NeonPrezza" or something like that. AWD Imprezza drivetrain in the Neon body.
NeoPreza

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t ... sc&start=0

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:09 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:
neonrog wrote:I can't find the link at present, but there has been a project called the "NeonPrezza" or something like that. AWD Imprezza drivetrain in the Neon body.
NeoPreza

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t ... sc&start=0
Yeah, i saw that one awhile back. I'm kind of a purest when it comes to a power plant in a car. No dodge in a ford, chevy in a ford, etc. Idk why. I'll figure out some way to make this work eventually. lol

neonrog
2GN Member

Post by neonrog » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Purist or not, an AWD Neon of any flavor would be a hoot. If you wanted to keep it Chrysler, do a van 3.8 swap and use its AWD transmission and PTU, rear axle choice could get interesting at that point. I recall someone on a FWD or turbo Mopar forum was doing an AWD Omni with the kinivan drivetrain. Don't know it it was ever finished.

Sort of the same vein, but different flavor, I've been wanting to use a Grand Cherokee V8 drivetrain into a Caravan. For a bunch of reasons. But performance isn't one.
If its not an English Mastiff, its just a dog.

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:24 pm

neonrog wrote:Purist or not, an AWD Neon of any flavor would be a hoot. If you wanted to keep it Chrysler, do a van 3.8 swap and use its AWD transmission and PTU, rear axle choice could get interesting at that point. I recall someone on a FWD or turbo Mopar forum was doing an AWD Omni with the kinivan drivetrain. Don't know it it was ever finished.

Sort of the same vein, but different flavor, I've been wanting to use a Grand Cherokee V8 drivetrain into a Caravan. For a bunch of reasons. But performance isn't one.
Yeah, it'd be a hoot. I loved my awd Subaru before it decided to catch fire and go out in a blaze of glory on the side of I-64 at 2 in the morning. I might not even pursue the AWD neon, just do the 2.4 swap and SRT front end and rear bumpers on the 1gn. Already have that part started. Theres nothing else to do when you're snowed in..lol

As far purest, i try to stay that way when i can. Except when i shoved a 302 in my 97 M3..that was sexy.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”