I know our Neons are still running but the end is coming....

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
ianguilly
2GN Member

Post by ianguilly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:59 pm

My friend has a dart and he has mixed feelings, his windshield cracked not to long after he got it and the dealer wouldnt warranty it. He says he has a fee rattles the annoy him. He wants to keep the car and says it hasgreat gas mileage. I've never drove one and id be very picky about what I get. I like the dart Sharpe looking car, but its no neon that's for sure.
-Neon #3 1999 Neon R/T coupe,DOHC MTX
-Neon #4 1998 Neon Alpine green coupe SOHC MTX -daily shit box

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member #110

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Thu May 08, 2014 8:43 pm

Chrysler announced this week that the Dart SRT will be here for 2017. Not a whole lot of details other than it will be awd and turbo. This makes the dart a little more interesting.

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Fri May 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Current plan is to take my 357,000km drive train from my 2000 with no body left into a newer body with engine problems and drive that into the ground until my avenger becomes the new neon hand me down in 3 to 5 years.

That's how I solve my neon problem :p
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

Knightryda
2GN Member

Post by Knightryda » Mon May 12, 2014 11:06 pm

I love that Chrysler decided to come out with the SRT version of the Dart. Hopefully it would be priced around what the Neon SRT was, but i have a feeling that it will be around the 30k mark for it. We'll have to wait and see.

ragek23
2GN Member

Post by ragek23 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:22 pm

that's totally their target price. thats the price of the awd 200s and base model STIs, VR6, and EVO X

2002 Neon SXT Sold
2006 EVO MR Weekend Warrior
2003 SRT 4 DD
-Kevin

chappybmode
2GN Member

Post by chappybmode » Thu May 15, 2014 2:47 pm

I know this hasnt been mentioned, but I also own a 2009 Mini Cooper S....you may want to test drive one of those. Mini dealers have no qualms about it usually. The thing is a go cart with a turbo haha. Also If you wanted, the Mini R53...which is the 2005 or older models have the same 2.0 as our cars. They are supercharged however and very well priced. That would keep the memories flowing haha

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Thu May 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Curious why you're pushing the Mini to a group of people who are mostly die-hard Mopar fans scrapping their spare bones together to keep their $3k car running. Minis are a bit out of people's ranges typically, and many don't care for the import / German fights that are usually present. If they've got the money for a new car, the main topic is the Dart.

But we're all very glad you like your Mini :thumbup:
el. oh. el.

chappybmode
2GN Member

Post by chappybmode » Thu May 15, 2014 4:37 pm

Just a suggestion lol I love my neon too I just know both are my adult go carts

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Thu May 15, 2014 5:15 pm

This thread is stupid. Just because a car has miles on it doesn't mean it won't last. Neons can last forever. If you don't take care of it then sure it isn't going to last you. And why have a discussion about the dart on this thread. Isn't there already a thread for that.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Thu May 15, 2014 7:24 pm

Was the R53 Mini a 6-speed?
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

chappybmode
2GN Member

Post by chappybmode » Thu May 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Yes it is a six speed

Knightryda
2GN Member

Post by Knightryda » Thu May 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Neon4Life wrote:This thread is stupid. Just because a car has miles on it doesn't mean it won't last. Neons can last forever. If you don't take care of it then sure it isn't going to last you. And why have a discussion about the dart on this thread. Isn't there already a thread for that.

So youre saying your car is going to last forever? So for some reason you have to dump 2 grand in your car you think it would be worth doing that? I love my Neon but lets be real. The end is coming, and I am not about to dump a shit ton of money into something that has 150000 plus miles on it. I just bought brakes all around with new calipers rotors and pads and that was like 350. Really the next big expense i am planning on my car is the clutch.

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Fri May 16, 2014 1:08 am

chappybmode wrote:I know this hasnt been mentioned, but I also own a 2009 Mini Cooper S....you may want to test drive one of those. Mini dealers have no qualms about it usually. The thing is a go cart with a turbo haha. Also If you wanted, the Mini R53...which is the 2005 or older models have the same 2.0 as our cars. They are supercharged however and very well priced. That would keep the memories flowing haha
That's not true. The R53 engine is a 1.6l and not the same as our 2.0 at all. Chrysler designed the 1.6 for BMW so it is similar to the 1.6 in export neons.

chappybmode
2GN Member

Post by chappybmode » Fri May 16, 2014 6:39 am

Thanks for setting me straight. I just knew I have a friend that used my spare engine parts on his r53

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Fri May 16, 2014 7:45 am

Knightryda wrote:
Neon4Life wrote:This thread is stupid. Just because a car has miles on it doesn't mean it won't last. Neons can last forever. If you don't take care of it then sure it isn't going to last you. And why have a discussion about the dart on this thread. Isn't there already a thread for that.

So youre saying your car is going to last forever? So for some reason you have to dump 2 grand in your car you think it would be worth doing that? I love my Neon but lets be real. The end is coming, and I am not about to dump a shit ton of money into something that has 150000 plus miles on it. I just bought brakes all around with new calipers rotors and pads and that was like 350. Really the next big expense i am planning on my car is the clutch.
Easy chief. Mine had 200k+ and I was still doing routine maintenance AND mods. Current one is starting to rot, motor has some decent compression loss, and all bushings are shot to shit. Since I got it for $600 and it has 170k on it, I probably shouldn't $500 worth of new tires on it, right?

Why do you think people put $40k into restos? Same reason we put $5k into ours. We like them and want them in our garages. If you're so sour, let yours die and buy something "better." Can't really use maintenance as a "worthy" rating because new cars need it as well.

neonrog
2GN Member

Post by neonrog » Fri May 16, 2014 1:24 pm

I'm keeping mine as long as I can. When I bought it, I had wanted the original 03 Minis, but they were nowhere near a price for the base car as advertised. So, I bought the affordable Neon. 11 years later, yeah, its showing its age, but its nothing I can't handle most of the time. If the engine dies, with over 180,000 on it right now, I want to swap in a well built 2.4 hoping to make 200 HP without a turbo. I'd LOVE to know if the 1.6 Chrysler based engine shares a common bolt pattern with our 2.0. Then I wonder what sort of torque the Mini 6 speed could handle.
If its not an English Mastiff, its just a dog.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Fri May 16, 2014 1:44 pm

:banghead: refer to post # 49
Last edited by theColonel on Sat May 17, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

Knightryda
2GN Member

Post by Knightryda » Sat May 17, 2014 12:15 am

You guys take this stuff too personal. I guess my whole logic on it is why throw money into something then later on have to throw more money into it and this turns into a on-going cycle. I started this thread really to see what other vehicles people would consider once they got rid of their Neon. I really am planning on having mine for at least another year.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sat May 17, 2014 11:37 am

Knightryda wrote:You guys take this stuff too personal. I guess my whole logic on it is why throw money into something then later on have to throw more money into it and this turns into a on-going cycle. I started this thread really to see what other vehicles people would consider once they got rid of their Neon. I really am planning on having mine for at least another year.
Title of your thread wasn't clear to me ... I've looked into replacements for my SRT-4 ... tried Ford Focus ST,
Subaru WRX, and Mazdaspeed3. Don't like the looks of the Ford, so my next "Pocket Rocket" will be Japanese !!

Subaru WRX with AWD would be perfect, but Mazdaspeed3 is less expensive.
05 Dodge SRT-4

fixitmattman
2GN Member

Post by fixitmattman » Sat May 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Don't they have road salt in Indiana too?
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/fixitmattman
How to fix your car:
1. Buy a Haynes manual
2. Read Haynes maual
3. Read and search appropriate threads, trust us, it's been covered before
4. Fix car
5. Consume beer of job well done

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Sat May 17, 2014 11:17 pm

theColonel wrote: Title of your thread wasn't clear to me ... I've looked into replacements for my SRT-4 ... tried Ford Focus ST,
Subaru WRX, and Mazdaspeed3. Don't like the looks of the Ford, so my next "Pocket Rocket" will be Japanese !!

I was looking at the same cars, the mazdaspeed3 is probably my favorite one. The wrx engine doesn't extra power well at all so I'm leaning towards the mazda.

I figure the dart srt will be out by time I'm ready to move on so we'll see how well that car does.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun May 18, 2014 12:32 am

fixitmattman wrote:Don't they have road salt in Indiana too?
Unfortunately, yes. My car's days as a DD managed to leave it with rust from salt exposure. :cussing:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

mjrpaine
2GN Member

Post by mjrpaine » Sun May 18, 2014 7:20 am

Idk if its just me ... but I'm not overly fond of the look of the dart. I guess I am glad I work at a body shop. I just recently dropped to basic insurance on my neon just to keep it registered. It currently has no fenders, front bumper, headlights, antenna, or the factory side skirts on it. I had 2 brand new keystone fenders (welded the antenna hole shut on the right fender), a set of headlights with hid low beam and projection high beam, an after market antenna to hide, and the Charger grill to put in the front bumper when I fix it. Then I am heading for the rockers. They need a little love and attention. Then comes the paint job and some plasti dip. I guess I am just not ready to let her go. If the motor or tranny go ... then comes the touch up on the engine bay ... and work on a nice build on those.
Official " I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies " Club # 132
Jason

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Sun May 18, 2014 10:50 am

Donkeypuncher wrote:
theColonel wrote: Title of your thread wasn't clear to me ... I've looked into replacements for my SRT-4 ... tried Ford Focus ST,

I was looking at the same cars, the mazdaspeed3 is probably my favorite one. The wrx engine doesn't extra power well at all so I'm leaning towards the mazda.

I figure the dart srt will be out by time I'm ready to move on so we'll see how well that car does.
I have been a huge fan of the Mazdaspeed3 since the day it hit the dealer lots. My opinion: it's the closest you can get to an SRT-4, feature-wise. I don't need or want AWD, so I don't see myself ever spending the money on it.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sun May 18, 2014 11:26 am

jonnymopar wrote:
Donkeypuncher wrote:

I have been a huge fan of the Mazdaspeed3 since the day it hit the dealer lots. My opinion: it's the closest you can get to an SRT-4, feature-wise. I don't need or want AWD, so I don't see myself ever spending the money on it.
I'm convinced that Mazdaspeed3 is the way to go ... maybe I was :quotes: carried away :quotes: with the idea that top of the line Porsches
and Lamborghinis are AWD :rofl:
05 Dodge SRT-4

neonrog
2GN Member

Post by neonrog » Sun May 18, 2014 12:47 pm

AWD will be my next car. The FLAVOR of which is still a long way in my future.
If its not an English Mastiff, its just a dog.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”