rear disc swap

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
alton
2GN Member

rear disc swap

Post by alton » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:25 pm

Iam switching my 05 sxt brakes from drums to disc. Since i am able to use my knuckles from my vehicle, what sealant do i use between the dust shield and the knuckle plate? Do i have to disconnect the brake lines too... thanks in advance.... And yes ive read the conversion setup, still i was confused..

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:31 pm

I don't believe sealant is necessary, but regular rev/silicone should do the trick. The brake lines have to be disconnected from the drum cylinders an hooked up to the new (or used) brake calipers
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

riepr90
n00b

Post by riepr90 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:29 pm

when i did mine i didn't use any silicone and until now everything is fine.nothing rattles or is loose.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000120

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:55 pm

You don't need to put any kind of sealant between the dust shield and the knuckle. One of the things i do in my job is to rep, never had to put any kind of sealant between the knuckle and the dust shield. Many different makes of cars, too.
Yes, you will have to disconnect the brake lines. You'll have to swap the flex lines, the flex lines for rear disc brakes have different fittings than the ones for the wheel cylinders on the drum brakes.
2004 R/T, DD
1995 Sport Sedan (The Frog), Given to my brother.
30 year Chrysler Tech.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:27 pm

About the only reason you would put something between them, is if they were painted, and you wanted something to keep the surfaces from potentially rubbing.
Bill
Probably shouldn't listen to anything your penis says, that guy's a dick.
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Agreed you don't need sealant, but I am 99% sure they have black RTV in there from the factory. They 1gn ones I got from Sam several years back had RTV when I disassembled them for powder coating and the set after that did as well. That said, I didn't use any sealant when I rebuilt them.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

alton
2GN Member

Post by alton » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:17 am

ok, thank you all for the input. i was wondering because the knuckles that came with the swap had some kind of sealant in between it, so when i take it apart and place it on mine i want to make sure im doing it right. Yes i got all parts i need for the swap ,imma change the brake lines to stainless steel ones.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”