2GN members getting old and moving on?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

2GN members getting old and moving on?

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed May 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Hello all...
I've noticed the past few years that it seems the site is starting to get less active. Come on, the 2004 Model is now 10years old and has cheaper insurance rates! The available current technology is allowing us to see more and more potential that 5 years ago we have never seen of these cars.
The Neon is still the best power per dollar vehicle with mods that are now cheaper than ever! With all the research that some of us veterans have done on these cars, they are still to this day contenders to some of the current muscle cars!
Look at the 3.6 engine, 285hp...we could easily do that with the 2.4 SRT engine and get the same gas mileage if you keep your foot out of the throttle.
Anyways, I'm just letting my 2GN members know that even though I'm down and out do to some issues going on, my Christine Hemi project is still going on and not only was I the first daily driver SC 2.0, I'll be hopefully the first HEMI powered Neon thats also a daily driver :twisted:
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #666
(she officially died in 2018 by being donated to a church...seriously)

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu May 22, 2014 1:06 am

=D> =D> =D>

**standing ovation**
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:11 pm

The obvious answer you don't want to hear:

Facebook.
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Thu May 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Not sure what the "standing ovation" is in reference to...

As for your post, Chris, there are a couple parts. First is Facebook. I understand several members skip that medium and I'm sure you don't like to use it because it airs out your filthy laundry.

Otherwise, why did this post take it's usual turn and talk about your "accomplishments?" Christ try talking with someone about Neons or cars without referencing your own damn car or what you "did."
el. oh. el.

rehack
2GN Member

Post by rehack » Thu May 22, 2014 7:47 pm

No, I've noticed it too. I took a long break from the forum as well, over a year, and so part of the inactivity blame rests on my shoulders as well. (Though I'm not really pushing any boundaries with performance or modification myself.)

It is kind of discouraging how slow it is getting. I love browsing the threads, you guys are incredibly gifted. I come from years of experience in the Honda camp, and while there are good people there as well, I always respected the way that 2GNers went out of their way to hold people up, appreciate the effort and hard work even if it wasn't their style.

You think twice before posting on a Honda board, those dudes will chew you up. There is a very specific 'style' and if you don't conform you get flamed.

I bought a 2004 base model Neon back in 2008 for $3,000 in cash in order to avoid a car payment. Turned out it was an awesome decision! I never would have learned about the possibilities of them, never would have found this place.

I may not own my Neon forever, but I'll stay active here as long as I have one.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu May 22, 2014 10:51 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:Not sure what the "standing ovation" is in reference to...
I am in agreement with what he posted.

ianguilly
2GN Member

Post by ianguilly » Sat May 24, 2014 12:25 am

Whats facebook?
-Neon #3 1999 Neon R/T coupe,DOHC MTX
-Neon #4 1998 Neon Alpine green coupe SOHC MTX -daily shit box

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member #110

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat May 24, 2014 12:31 am

ianguilly wrote:Whats facebook?
THIS.

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sat May 24, 2014 2:26 pm

ianguilly wrote:Whats facebook?
I agree. 8-[

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Sat May 24, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm on Facebook, mainly due to the fact that i have family scattered all around the country. It is a fast (near real time) and good way to communicate with family and friends.
There is a Neons.org group on FB, i'm in that group, and it is very active. I think the main reason the activity level on the web forum has dropped is because the younger generation uses their smartphone, to access the web, from anywhere, anytime. The FB page is probably easier to access, but is also closer to real time than the web forum.
2004 R/T, DD
1995 Sport Sedan (The Frog), Given to my brother.
30 year Chrysler Tech.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat May 24, 2014 8:00 pm

And it points out another pitfall with a lot of folks: Too hooked on convenience.

If there isn't an App for it, it is too much trouble to actually think. Or make a few more clicks.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Sat May 24, 2014 8:42 pm

occasional demons wrote:And it points out another pitfall with a lot of folks: Too hooked on convenience.

If there isn't an App for it, it is too much trouble to actually think. Or make a few more clicks.
Good point.
2004 R/T, DD
1995 Sport Sedan (The Frog), Given to my brother.
30 year Chrysler Tech.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat May 24, 2014 10:55 pm

Plus there is the great amount of Neon mechanical information accessible from this site. Yes, my main objection to FB is that I'm old and stuck in my habits (this website) but the collected knowledge here can't be beat.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:16 pm

For you old farts, the main attraction to the Facebook pages (not for us hardcore neon junkies, but the noobs) is that they can post up moronic shit like "yo real quick whats needed for an SRT swap" and they want an answer real quick without having to bother doing any reaearch. Although we get the same idiots on the site not bothering to search either. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of perks to the Facebook groups and the higher amount of traffic/real time setting makes some aspects more convenient and sometimes allows you to see items posted for sale they arent listed on the webpage and you can snag them up. I do agree its a bummer its not more active here especially the progress logs because I always enjoy reading them. I'm guilty of it myself though, my own log has cob webs on it.

rehack
2GN Member

Post by rehack » Sun May 25, 2014 4:33 am

The problem with Facebook is the lack of specificity. Forums divide the categories up for easy indexing. Also, I agree with, sidepipe, Facebook encourages stupid posts.

Besides that, I'm on my this forum on a daily basis on my smartphone. The functionality works perfectly, although linking photos can be a bear. (Which might be the reason people like Facebook more, I dunno).

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sun May 25, 2014 9:43 am

rehack wrote:The problem with Facebook is the lack of specificity. Forums divide the categories up for easy indexing. Also, I agree with, sidepipe, Facebook encourages stupid posts.

Besides that, I'm on my this forum on a daily basis on my smartphone. The functionality works perfectly, although linking photos can be a bear. (Which might be the reason people like Facebook more, I dunno).
:withstupid: However, both mediums encourage stupid posts, but it's far easier to add pictures on Facebook ...
anybody with a "shoe sized IQ" can do Facebook :lol:
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun May 25, 2014 2:21 pm

That's the other thing... Images. Facebook has the repository for storage right there, whereas on the forum you have to upload to photobucket, fotki, etc and link. I don't think people want to be bothered anymore. Also, i can say photobuckets mobile app is TERRIBLE. It's incredibly slow as if you're using 56k

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Sun May 25, 2014 4:38 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:That's the other thing... Images. Facebook has the repository for storage right there, whereas on the forum you have to upload to photobucket, fotki, etc and link. I don't think people want to be bothered anymore. Also, i can say photobuckets mobile app is TERRIBLE. It's incredibly slow as if you're using 56k
you should of stopped using it along time ago. not to take this thread off topic but I stopped using it when it was brought to my attention that when you upload pics to photobucket that it degrades the quality of the picture. I didn't believe it at first but its true. unless they've changed that. but I switched from photobucket to flickr and I did notice a difference. this was back in 08 early 09. just saying.

as for the FB thing.. yes too many idots post on FB nowadays because they don't want to do the search work. I still try to not post pics on it and have people come on here to look for pics of my car just because I do get on here a lot often to see whats new because I don't have everyone on my friends list on FB.

either way some of us are still here and some aren't on anything. point proven last night when someone messaged me on FB asking me when I got into another neon again and I told him like 2 years ago..where has he been. busy with shop, life etc he is.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

neonrog
2GN Member

Post by neonrog » Tue May 27, 2014 2:42 am

I was beginning to wonder why nobody uses Fidonet anymore... But yes, convenience and "New" win out. Forums replaced BBS's and there will always be a "better" way just around the corner.
If its not an English Mastiff, its just a dog.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”