i can smell fuel in the cab, fuel gauge also acts strange

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Arro
2GN Member

i can smell fuel in the cab, fuel gauge also acts strange

Post by Arro » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:08 pm

Ok so we believe the fuel pump died. Key turned on, disconnected line at firewall in engine bay, no fuel. So we ordered the MPx Walbro kit and the Mopar 58 lb.regulator.

Got the tank out thanks to the guide on here by quicksilver... and we got to thinking...... when we filled the tank up, sometimes we smelled fuel vapors in the ca. Also, when we filled the tank completely, sometimes the gauge would read right, then suddenly drop below "E", then would go back to full again. Once you used some of the fuel (maybe 1/4 of it) the gauge would act normal most of the time or nearly all the time.

What we are wondering is how to fix these issues now that the tank is out of the car. Anyone have ideas about these two issues? ALSO... when I removed the pump assembly, I noticed the fuel filter was GONE. Little bits of it are still there but 99% of it is missing. I wonder......... did this kill the pump? Or worse -- did this clog the line from the pump to the fuel rail? :(

Any and all advice welcome, thanks in advance.
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it.
- A - R - R - O - 2000 - NEON SE - // - 2003 - SRT-4 -
Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651950
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #22

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:20 am

I personally think you have two separate issues going on.

Check both the lines for the evap system (rotted or plugged hoses?)

On the 1st gen Neons, the fuel filler necks are known to rust out.... Especially on the 1995 models.
I have never heard of such a thing happening on a 2nd gen Neon, but I'd check that, too.

As far as your fuel gauge going wonky..... It is possible you may need to replace the sending unit for the fuel gauge; OR that the wiring going to the tank connector may be corroded or damaged.
Also check the ground for the fuel pump, while you are doing this. The ground for the fuel tank & fuel pump is located inside the roof of the trunk compartment on 1st gen Neons, on the driver's side - I imagine that it is in the same location on the 2nd gen Neons.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Arro
2GN Member

Post by Arro » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:15 pm

So you don't think it's the pump? I already bought an MPx Wally 255 kit and 58 psi regulator. I figure might as well put it in. If the pump still doesn't work then I will have to check wiring.

I'm in the process of also pulling out the ATX so there's no battery, but I will worry about the fuel once the MTX is in.

Where is the evap canister? Is that the square box near the gas tank?
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it.
- A - R - R - O - 2000 - NEON SE - // - 2003 - SRT-4 -
Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651950
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #22

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:45 pm

The debris from the filter may have killed the pump, but the FPR/filter should have prevented it from getting into the rest of the fuel system.

The new pump it and FPR should take care of that. As far as the gauge issue, that seemed to be a thing a few years back with the tach clusters. Mine even did it for a spell, and it has not happened for a few years now. It might be a cluster issue, or a sender issue.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”