p0301 missing at idle, and low power

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
whynot
2GN Member

p0301 missing at idle, and low power

Post by whynot » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:49 pm

I have been reading here about this issue, So I just want to check my conclusion.

I swapped plugs and wires, and it is still a p0301.
I ohmed the injectors, and they all are at the same of about 13.3 ohms.

Then I did a compression test.
#1 50 #2-4 about 135

Added a little oil to the cylinder and repeated the compression test.
#1 70 #2-4 175 or so.
So my conclusion is it is a head issue and the head has to be pulled.

The car uses 1 qt of oil in 5000 miles, and no mix of coolant and oil in any way. So I am assuming that the head gasket is ok.

Is this the correct result?

thttxboy
2GN Member

Post by thttxboy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:29 am

I performed the same test on my car about a year ago almost with the same results as yours except mine was cylinder 4. I pulled the head and visually everything looked ok. But I performed a valve leak test by filling each bowl where the valves are with water and 1, 2 & 3 held water but number 4 just leaked down instantly. I bought a used head off of a running car and havent had any issues since.

whynot
2GN Member

Post by whynot » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:20 am

I am thinking of getting a head from the pick n pull, but no way to tell if it is good or not before pulling it.

Have thought about just pulling mine and having it worked on, but I do not know what that would cost.

What years will work 2003-2005? any other cars? is the head the same on a 2.4 as on my 2.0?

Thanks
Doug

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:13 pm

I answered this on neons.org, but you could try getting it to operating temp, pulling the spark plugs and pouring a fair Seafoam, or Mopar combustion chamber cleaner in the holes. then turn it slowly by hand, plugs still out. This will push the liquid up and into the exhaust ports.

In addition to that:
Mine were so badly carbon'ed at 112,000 that the exhaust valves were not fully seating. It ran fine, but would not hold air pressure to try to remove the valve springs with the head on the engine.

I had to pull the head and remove the valves to get it cleaned out of there.

The Seafoam might dissolve enough carbon, if this is the case, to let the valve shut. If it has been going on for a while, the valve might be already burn't.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jklnhyd
n00b

Post by jklnhyd » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:16 pm

I cant say that i have heard of this being done on a fuel injected engine, but i have done this on my carbed truck for 6 months, every fill up and it cleaned everything out really well.

1 quart of ATF into a 23 gallon tank at fill up. ATF has more cleaning agents in it than treated gas treatments and its harmless to seals and gaskets.

whynot
2GN Member

Post by whynot » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:30 pm

back in the day, my dad would pour ATF down the carb, and smoke out the neighborhood. Do not think that will help these new computer controlled cars, probably just freak out the computer.

jklnhyd
n00b

Post by jklnhyd » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:54 pm

Hmmm, my brother-in-law has a smog shop. I will run a smog on it this weekend, then add 1 quart of ATF to each fill up. I will also do an oil change replacing 1 quart of oil with 1 quart of ATF. Then we will resmog it in a week or 2 and see if the numbers improve or get worse.

I apologize for hijacking this thread...

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”