Should I worry about this now ? (possible electrical issue)

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Should I worry about this now ? (possible electrical issue)

Post by Jean-Seb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:31 am

(This is on a 2005 SX2.0, MTX)

Alright, so I made a beginner's mistake today. I removed my battery, changed the shift cable bushings, then reinstalled the battery... the wrong way. I connect the cables then poof ! Big cloud of blue smoke coming from under the intake manifold. I thought:"Crap ! But whatever happened, the fusible link did its job."

So I think, I'll go get another one and rewire it, but before I do I'll check it out. So I strip the wiring in that area and notice the link is fine, but the wire insulator between the starter and the fusible link is burned through in one spot. So I patch it up with electrical tape just to test it, reattach everything and start the car. It runs fine but the gauge cluster is telling me a fuse is blown (#13, 20amp, battery, interior lights).

I replace the fuse and still the car starts fine and I drove it with the lights on and it behaves the way it did prior to that incident.

I don't have a multimeter to check the voltage though. :( But what happened ? I'm assuming it would have started to act up after a bit, but no dummy lights, nothing. Was I just lucky ? Or should I expect problems later ? :tardbang:

Thanks a lot guys. :)

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:44 am

How far did you drive it? Did you pull on the fusible link to be sure the wires in it were still intact? If it stretches, the link is done.

I have a circuit breaker in my 1gn instead of a fusible link. The first one I used either wasn't a high enough amp rating, or defective. When it would trip, it took a little while before the battery light would come on.

A 150 amp CB fixed that issue. They are more expensive than a fusible link, and you need to mount it in a more user friendly location. The stock wire path isn't too user friendly. :lol:

If the PCM is still seeing it's target voltage window, the battery light will not come on.

The fusible link on the earlier neons was from the ring terminal to the 8 gauge wire. So I would suspect any damage between those two points would be the link.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:08 am

I replaced my fusible link with one of those big mega fuses I think they're called from the sound system area of Walmart. At the time it was the only option I had, it ended up doing its job and was much easier to replace after that.
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:23 pm

occasional demons wrote:How far did you drive it? Did you pull on the fusible link to be sure the wires in it were still intact? If it stretches, the link is done.
I drove it for about 30 minutes altogether, starting it about 6-7 times in the process. Do you think the light would have come on by then ? The battery is a year old only. It could hold its charge for a bit, I guess.

And yes the link is solid, I can see it through the clear heatshrink tubing and it does not budge.

If a problem develops soon, I'll just replace the link though.

Thanks very much for the replies. :)

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:38 am

Hmmm, just thought I'd update this to tie up loose ends. :)

My car is still fine. Nothing happened. I guess I disconnected the battery before anything really bad happened.

Pheeew ! :lol:

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”