Radiator

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Radiator

Post by Donkeypuncher » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:59 am

Got into a little accident and the radiator has a leak, so it needs to be replaced. Figured I would check to see if there is a particular brand I should look for, or if there are ones I should avoid. They all seem to be around $100 for a manual trans model.

Rather go with a new one instead of a junk yard one, I'm sure sitting in a junk yard for years doesn't have a great effect on radiators.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:15 am

Both the Spectra and the other off brand, can't think of it at the moment, in our 1gn's have unknown miles and time on them, have had the '96 for about 5 years now, and it is holding up fine. The other one in my 2.4 swap, single fan, works flawlessly.

$30 off of $80 spent at Advance... But can't say I've heard of ToughOne or Ready-Rad Radiator. :/

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/refe ... ntent=xxxx

Of course there is Ebay, but I'm guessing you want it soon.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

gtxtreme19
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by gtxtreme19 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:10 am

Ready-rad isn't horrible. I've had one in my truck for about 2 years now
-Mike
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Skitlz wrote:Gramps, get a GPS.
Gramps Prefers Streetmaps. :D

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:48 pm

The spectra was actually the one I was looking at, probably gonna go with that one.

I notice some are listed as w/o AC and w/ HD cooling, not sure what that means. Some are listed as auto specific, while some are listed as working for both. I realize the auto ones have the built in cooler, but they should work with a manual, right?

Don't really need it right away, probably within the next month or so. The front core support got pushed back just enough to pinch the passenger side of the radiator so it's just a slow leak.

Glad I took auto body in high school, can probably fix it for $500. Sad part is it only left a small scratch on the guys bumper that I hit. My front is so low that it missed the bumper bar, so the hood and upper core support took all the damage.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:10 pm

I believe the lower outlet is in different locations for the t350, the 31th and the 41/40te. With the MTX, it may just be as simple as getting the matching lower hose.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
Help support 2GN!

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Donkeypuncher wrote: I realize the auto ones have the built in cooler, but they should work with a manual, right?
yes it will work a/t or not. i got lost on all the aftermarket descriptions and feedback saying someones brand didn't fit their years fan shroud or whatever, or end tanks leak after a month.... So i got one from the 'zoners for someone to yell at when it doesn't fit or easy warranty. Mine had the trans cooler built in and no it didn't leak.

I suggest capping the trans cooler lines so that it doesn't leak through in the future. I don't remember if caps are in the box or if i went and bought something, but its good future proof insurance.
occasional demons wrote:I believe the lower outlet is in different locations for the t350, the 31th and the 41/40te. With the MTX, it may just be as simple as getting the matching lower hose.
thats what it was!!! actually i think it has to do more with the fan shroud fitting. they sold me one, i returned it with my fan in hand and bought the other that was in stock.

and i still wound up with a A/T cooler in the core.
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

Donkeypuncher
2GN Member

Post by Donkeypuncher » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:27 am

I see, it's probably easier to make all of them with the cooler instead of 2 different models. I should probably pick one up locally just in case I need to bring it back and swap it out. Having to ship it back somewhere would just be a hassle.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”