Oil light keeps coming on...

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Oil light keeps coming on...

Post by Diablo0 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:12 am

I think this is an electrical problem but I'm interested to hear what others think as well.

A few years ago, on the way to Carlisle, my oil light started to come on anytime I dropped below something like 2500RPMs. I figured it was the pressure switch and bought one on the way, just in case something catastrophic happened like it started to leak, badly.

After getting back home from Carlisle, it stopped. Light stopped coming on, it didn't make a "BING"... so I thought it resolved itself, maybe there was an air bubble or something at the sensor, causing issues.

Anyway... a few months ago I started noticing some drops of oil under the car. After crawling under, I notice it's coming from the sensor so I replaced it with the one that I bought on the trip to Carlisle. The leaks have stopped, but now, every now and then, the oil light will come on. Turn the car off and back on, the light immediately goes away.

I suspect it's a simple electrical connection... Does anyone else have any other ideas?
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

thomas_w
2GN Member

Re: Oil light keeps coming on...

Post by thomas_w » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:38 am

Some people say that the sheathing does not handle oil well and it may dissolve it to some extent. When my oil sensor was leaking on my 1gn, the wrapping wicked it all up so that there was oil everywhere on the wiring harness. I took it all apart and fixed the melted spots, which were probably also due to the overheating I had when the water pump failed. But after taking the wiring harness apart and fixing it everything seems pretty solid (knocking on wood).
--
Thomas

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:01 pm

I don't know that the 2gn harness has the issues that the 1gn harness did with wicking oil, or getting mushy insulation.

I would do an install of a gauge to verify oil pressure just to be on the safe side. At least for peace of mind while you track down the issue.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Do you have room for a mechanical gauge? I second that. It's one of the first things I've done to nearly every car I've owned.

Not to nitpick, but regarding your comment about the air bubble: pressure is pressure, so air changes nothing.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:11 pm

jonnymopar wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:25 pm
Not to nitpick, but regarding your comment about the air bubble: pressure is pressure, so air changes nothing.
True, even though you can compress the air in a line to the gauge, it's still the same pressure as the liquid.

About all mechanical pressure gauges have some air in them, as it has nowhere to escape. If it did, you would have an ungodly mess in your car. Believe me, I know. What made it worse was it was the wife's car. :x

As far as gauges inside the car, it's electric gauges and a sender for me, because I have no desire to clean that mess up again. And it never really quit seeping out from under the dash.

Granted it was probably a rare occurrence, but I'll not risk it again.

And yet she still married me. Had to get revenge somehow... :shock:

:lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:01 am

Heh, revenge.

The mechanical gauge in my Daytona was in at least 2 cars before I got it, and it's in the second one for me. Even with that kind of mileage, I don't worry too much about the line rupturing. And this is in a car right now where 3000rpm cold will put you in triple digit PSI.

For the gauge in the Neon, I specifically designed the plumbing to trap as much air as possible, in hopes that I'd get a more responsive gauge. It worked even better than I had hoped, and continues to more than 10 years later. It's noticeably faster than the factory tach when you rev the engine.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:31 am

It wasn't the line that burst. It was the bourdon tube that developed a crack. It was a name brand gauge, I can't recall which one now. It wasn't new, but had "a few years" of use.

They only flex so many times...

In reality, it is the same risk of leaking as putting a mechanical fuel pressure gauge inside the car. The only difference is, the risk of what happens after it fails. It's all a matter of when.

Granted a catastrophic crash ups the ante either way. Hot oil spraying from a line can be just as volatile as fuel. Just look at the wire harness in my '01 if you want proof...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 am

I actually have an oil pressure gauge that I'm planning to put in at some point. I bought it as soon as I returned from Carlisle, with the anticipation to put it in. Just haven't had time. That was going to be my plan so I didn't simply rely on a light that tells you "you're screwed" when it's too late.

I just have to make the T connection so I can keep the stock switch in place so the light doesn't come on.

I'm thinking I may try spraying it down with some degreaser, brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner.
-Jason
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:58 am

I always ran a T at the oil pressure point of the block, one for the sensor and one for a mechanical gauge. This way if the light does happen to come on I can check the gauge to see where things are at. For every 1000rpm you should see an increase of 10psi in oil pressure on average. My SC Magnum motor actually had 80psi at 6000rpm, so I was good...lol
Except when I ran on the dyno at Carlisle....The fitting for the oil pressure gauge came loose at the fitting and oil sprayed everywhere and the pressure gauge dropped when it hit 7500rpm...ooops....I panicked over that one....lol

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Diablo0 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 am
I just have to make the T connection so I can keep the stock switch in place so the light doesn't come on.
Just FYI, I unplugged and removed the factory sensor when I installed an Autometer electric gauge in my old '02 and it did not turn the light on.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:21 pm

IIRC, NGC will turn the light on if there is no connection. I believe there is a code for it on 2003 up.

On both my neons, I ran braided line to a manifold block, for the switch, and a gauge.

If the line fails, the light will illuminate, so you would at least know there is an issue. It still wouldn't help if you ran a capillary tube/mechanical gauge, (from the manifold block) and the tube ruptures, because it may not drop the pressure enough.

But having a capillary tube mounted to a block on the body, would reduce the movement it sees, and there would be no need to loop it to accommodate engine movement.

I had two different copper capillary tubes fail, right at the engine tee, before I went with 3 AN braided stainless brake hose to a manifold block. I have over 100,000 miles on the one in my '01, and 40,000 miles on the one in my '99, and no more issues.

The plastic tubes, and manifold heat where the pressure switch is located don't work out well at all.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:38 am

What Bill said. I just disconnected it on my '02 R/T and it was fine. '03+ shows a light though.
-Jason

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:32 pm

Dormant thread...but yes our 04 2.0 SOHC will set a code that will disappear on the next start and the light turns off once motor is running. But has never turned on the CEL for it.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”