Straight Pipe?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
dakotalharman
n00b

Straight Pipe?

Post by dakotalharman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:55 pm

As you all know a stock neon is pretty quite, a straight pipe on a neon doesn't sound terrible. It's actually kinda nice, but I'm curious as to what it harms doing so, what's the cons of straight piping my little 2.0. (2005 Dodge Neon SXT) I got about 111k on the motor and tranny.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Straight Pipe?

Post by occasional demons » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:01 pm

It won't do any damage to the car. It does not need a muffler, to pass emissions. As long as it has a catalytic converter, and some pipe after it, it won't set any codes or a CEL.

If it truly/honestly isn't that loud with a straight pipe, then possibly there is an issue with the converter. Mine is obnoxiously loud even with a glasspack in the mid pipe. But then that also comes down to a matter of opinion.

The opinion that really matters is the one's of the local police. While their opinion may not always be the same as the law, they can still inconvenience you with proving your innocence.

If you want a good idea of how loud the car is, drive down the center of town, in between the buildings with your windows down, and rev it up a few times.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 am

I had a short tube header, a Flowmaster 80 series, and nothing else on my old Neon. It was so loud, I got harassed like crazy by cops for it. I added a resonator and it helped take the edge off some of the crackles and pops, but the car was still ridiculously loud. In my opinion, of the cars out there that sound good with open pipes, the Neon is not on the list. It sounds raspy and obnoxious as hell.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:57 pm

JeremyJ wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 am
In my opinion, of the cars out there that sound good with open pipes, the Neon is not on the list. It sounds raspy and obnoxious as hell.
About any 16 valve 4 cylinder is the same.

I can't say the 2.2 8 valve was quite as obnoxious. Loud, yes, but not so raspy.

It really puts how well the stock R/T and DOHC mufflers are, into perspective when you try to create a decent sound, that isn't dead silent, but has a decent sound, and flows well. More so if the catalytic converter is missing.

On my '99:
The closest thing I have found that works sans converter is the AP DOHC muffler. It's bit louder than the stock DOHC muffler, probably due to the cat not being there. The PT header is more of a mid-length than a shorty header. Probably not as bad as an LTH for rasp, but it is bad enough. With the Magnaflow dual outlet, and a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator, it was still too damn loud/annoying.

If I ever get around to putting a cat on it, the AP muffler might be a touch too quiet.

It is pretty much silent at light cruising on the highway. But it will let you know when you get with it. It's a perfect balance for me, because I can actually enjoy the stereo on long trips.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 pm

dakotalharman wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:55 pm
As you all know a stock neon is pretty quite, a straight pipe on a neon doesn't sound terrible. It's actually kinda nice, but I'm curious as to what it harms doing so,
what's the cons of straight piping my little 2.0. (2005 Dodge Neon SXT) I got about 111k on the motor and tranny.
You may be aware that the SRT-4 came from the factory with no muffler. However, when the catalytic converter is removed the car is obnoxiously loud.
I found the car was more pleasant to drive when a Moroso spiral-flow muffler was added to the mid-pipe. I don't understand what role a turbocharger
plays in reducing the noise level.
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:51 am

theColonel wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 pm
I don't understand what role a turbocharger plays in reducing the noise level.
It's an obstruction in the exhaust that also helps to deaden the noise by absorbing some of the pressure waves emanating from the engine. It's not as effective as a muffler, but it does absorb some...
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:58 am

Turbo cars can sound great without mufflers. NA four cylinders...not so much. I'm planning to add a universal Magnaflow muffler to my exhaust. It kills a lot of the rasp, pops, and other obnoxiousness, but still flows straight through and will never rust. Plus, they sound pretty good on everything I've heard so far.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

rondert
n00b

Post by rondert » Fri May 18, 2018 3:41 am

My buddy put a straight pipe on his Neon, and I find it really loud.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”