2000 Neon shuts off while driving

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
szavjani
Fresh Fish

2000 Neon shuts off while driving

Post by szavjani » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:39 am

Hi All, I need help. I got a 2000 Chrysler Neon 2.0 with 3speed ATX (I live in Hungary, Europe) and last week after a 30 minute highway driving (around 80mph) when I was exiting the highway with my foot off the pedal the engine was suddenly shuts off. I tried to start it a few times and sometimes it is idled roughly and died again. I’d let it rest and after a few minutes I tried to start it again and it started. And it runs perfect ever since. I drove around 200 miles without any issues. But this is my wife’s car and she drives it (well not since this issue) with my 3 months old babygirl so it is important to be fixed.
I thought I will start it with replacing the crankshaft position sensor, the camshaft PS and the cam magnet. It is a 19 years old car with 100.000miles in it and these sensors were never replaced before so why not :) I want to replace them with mopar parts. My problem is that the camshaft position sensor that I found (05096057AA) is on some web pages for 2003-2006 models on others from 1995-2006 but as I know since 2003 all of the Neons has NGC computers so shouldn’t be the sensors be different? I know that magnets are not the same so why should be the sensors?
The other thing is that the more I read the more I’m getting sceptical about that this issue is caused by any of these sensors. No codes whatsoever, no starting issues (cold or hot). On one day I spent an hour in an extreme traffic jam and still no stalling issue.
To be honest the two sensors and the magnet plus the shipping is costs the quarter of the cars value. I don’t wanna replace them if you guys think it is pointless. Plus I don’t want to order one that doesn’t compatible with my car.
So do you have any idea what should I check to be sure that the car is safe to drive?
Thank you guys a lot :)
Jani

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: 2000 Neon shuts off while driving

Post by occasional demons » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:50 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:46 pm
The fuel pump relay contacts could be going bad. That would be about the only thing that would make the most sense from this.

Crank sensors can shut the engine down with zero codes, but usually the engine either never starts again with that sensor, or it takes 5 to 20 minutes before the engine will fire again, and it happens at least once or twice a week once it starts acting up. It runs fine, no rough idle.

The rough idle is characteristic of low fuel pressure. When working on the fuel rail/injectors, I will pull the fuel pump relay while the engine is running to drop the fuel pressure. You can generally get it to start after it initially stalls, but it runs rough, and dies.

The cam sensors are the same for all years of neons.

To clarify: SOHC is different than DOHC, but for the specific head, the sensors are the same part for that head. The magnet is the difference. It is also why 1995 to 2002 sensors tend to outlast 2003 to 2005 sensors. They have it easy compared to the NGC units.

FWIW, I have 210,000 miles on my original 2001 cam sensor.

I would either swap out the horn relay for the fuel pump relay, or another like relay that sees little use. The ASD and fuel pump are powered every time the key is turned on. Or buy a brand new one. You could probably search the Omron number on it, and find one online without paying dealer price.

The only relay I had to replace from failure was the ASD relay. Car shut off backing out of the parking space, and would not fire back up. I swapped it for the horn relay just on a hunch, and it fired right up.

When a van backed out in front of me, I had to replace a few of them, as the PDC got smashed. But that wasn't their fault...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Dodge ... 4805!US!-1

Also, my fuel pump is original...
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”