I really dislike forum search results!

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
04rebel
2GN Member

I really dislike forum search results!

Post by 04rebel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:20 pm

OK, I've said it and it is not just this site that forum search really annoyed...Can't find anything for a subject I'm looking for info on.

So here goes the question.

Our 04 2.0 SOHC has always seemed to every so often leave the oil warning lamp lit at start up. No noise, and yes has plenty of oil in the pan. Shut off and restart and all is good. 2 years ago I replaced the oil press. sender due to it leaking(not very fun to do), but it will still "act up" every now and then. Even a light "blip" of the throttle does not shut the light off. So my fellow LOYAL Neon owners, what's the info I'm missing out on about this?
After the TB went on my son, he's been very anxious when he starts up and the oil light stays on. I've always told him to shut down and restart, after many times of this happening and doing the check oil level(done religiously anyway by me), and then re starting the motor to have all fine with the light going off.

04rebel
2GN Member

Re: I really dislike forum search results!

Post by 04rebel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:37 pm

OK, I found one thread about this subject by just scrolling thru this forum page ... and posted there on it also. Seems no real conclusion was made, but I tend to think the "oil wicking" in the harness connector and thru the wires core may be the source of trouble. That or relaxed pin connection in the harness plastic connector body.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: I really dislike forum search results!

Post by occasional demons » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:47 am

If there is oil wicking, there should be oil in the next connector that the oil pressure switch wire goes to. You could try using carb cleaner to "dry out the connector(s)/wiring, and see if the issue goes away. Short of cutting the wire, and installing a terminal bock and two eyelets, there would be no way to prevent wicking, other than going with a switch with a screw on terminal.

Basically the only way the light is coming on in the cluster is if there is a ground path, either in the switch or the wiring.

Not sure if 2003 up go directly to the cluster or through the PCM to illuminate the cluster. If through the PCM, the issue could be there. Pulling the connector off the switch would be telling if the problem still happens when not attached. If the light never comes on with the connector pulled, Then it should be relatively obvious to where the problem is. Either a bad switch, or an actual pressure issue.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”