Parts Compatibility

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Parts Compatibility

Post by jacoblindsay » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm rebuilding my 2002 2.0l neon engine and am planning on putting DOHC pistons in from a 1997 neon. From my understanding the 02 engine is an A588 and the 97 engine is an ECC....but I've read on here somewhere that the blocks are the same (which is why the DOHC pistons work in a SOHC block) the only difference between the A588 and the ECC engines then is the cylinder head. Is this information correct or did I misinterpret something? I"m asking because I could buy a master rebuild kit for the 97 neon which would come with the full gasket set, bearing sets, oil pump, water pump, timing belt, and coated pistons, so if the blocks are the same everything would fit and save me some money

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Parts Compatibility

Post by occasional demons » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:32 pm

The blocks are the same. In 1995, the SOHC and DOHC blocks were different in the way that the crankcase ventilation was handled. In 1996, they scrapped the SOHC set up, and began using the DOHC style block for the rest of the 2.0 run.

Even though the 1995 SOHC block was different, the crank and rods were the same. So DOHC pistons will work without any issues in the block.

There were even export NGC 2.0 DOHC engines in the PT Cruisers. This was only in 2003 as far as I can tell.

The only issue with DOHC pistons with a SOHC head, is the pistons might contact the head if it is milled, or really high rpm causes some rod stretch.

Some people file the pistons, but the better method is to clearance the combustion chamber a little.

But on an unmilled head, and using a SOHC PCM that limits the rpm to 6750, this shouldn't be a problem. Our SOHC '96 had a DOHC bottom end, unbeknownst to us, and it ran fine on 87 octane, and never had any contact with the head when pushing it. It was an ATX, so that probably helped a little.

As long as it has a functioning knock sensor, you should be safe with 87 octane. But the 10.3:1 compression ratio should help make use of higher octane. But it is still compromised a bit by the more conservative SOHC PCM tune, unless it is an ACR or R/T pcm.

Note: Unless you are going with a DOHC head, the '97 DOHC master kit will not have the correct head gasket for a SOHC. The head bolts and gasket are different between DOHC and SOHC. So you would still need a SOHC head gasket. And head bolts. So that will probably make any savings a wash.

Oil pumps are usually not needed to be replaced, unless debris got sucked through the pick up, or the oil rarely got changed. The ones I have taken apart and inspected at well over 100,000 miles have looked and spec'ed out fine. It never hurts to take it apart and give it a once over. If the oil has been changed faithfully, and was decent oil, the oil pump is generally the best lubricated part.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Post by jacoblindsay » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:30 am

So now that the engine is all put together, I realized that the old crank and new crank are not the same. The new crank must be from 03-05 because it has the crank position sensor wheel toward the flywheel end of it where as the 98-02 cranks don’t have this and the sensor is on the pulley end. Will the sensor still read the crank or am I SOL?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:31 am

Unfortunately, you are SOL. Unless you can return the crank for a 1995 to 2002 version. As long as it has no marks on it, you should be able to return it. It's not like it actually ran. The only place there may be a mark is from pressing the cam sprocket and harmonic balancer, if you got that far.

What was wrong with the original crank?
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Post by jacoblindsay » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:53 pm

The original crank is badly scored and would require a grind and oversized bearings. I don’t see any markings or differences in the cranks loves that my sensor would be reading. How does the sensor on the 95-02 read the position?

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Post by jacoblindsay » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:07 pm

So the crank sensor on the 02 is an inductive sensor so it reads magnetic flux. So every time the lobe rotates in front of the sensor a voltage is created so it should be able to communicate with the ecm

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Post by jacoblindsay » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Aw man ignore my last. Your right I’m SOL

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:02 pm

Yep, even if you could get the sensor to read, the signal wouldn't work with the SBEC PCM.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Post by jacoblindsay » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:42 pm

I have it all torn back apart and I’ll clean up the original crank to better assess it’s damage. I know 1 & 4 rod journals are scored but not excessively so I’ll see if I can polish it out

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Post by jacoblindsay » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:06 am

I have the engine back together with the correct crankshaft. I'm doing the timing stuff on it now and when I rotate the crank counter clockwise the belt works its way on to the cam sprocket water pump and tensioner. But when I rotate it clockwise it works its way about a 1/4 in off. I'm thinking one of the gears is out of alignment but how do I tell?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:02 am

If it had the hydro tensioner, and you went with the mechanical tensioner, and didn't modify the inner timing cover to accommodate the mechanical tensioner, the belt will walk and come off. You need to make a hole behind the tensioner for clearance.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Post by jacoblindsay » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:03 pm

I broke the oil dipstick tube off when I was moving the block around. Does anyone know if an autozone spectre brand dipstick would fit without leaks or if a 96-98. Sebring dip tube would work. I’m having trouble finding any other replacements

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:02 pm

4667352 is the PN for all the neon 2.0 engines. Ignore the year range posted.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 2&_sacat=0

$18 is probably simpler than searching junk yards and removing one.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Post by jacoblindsay » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:18 pm

Awesome thank you

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”