R&R on exhaust manifold upcoming

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
NachtRitter84
2GN Member

R&R on exhaust manifold upcoming

Post by NachtRitter84 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:29 pm

2005 SXT ATX 2.0L stock. Going to do an R&R on exhaust manifold soon, pretty sure it just the gasket leaking but if I’m going through the effort anyway....

First off: how long can I get away with driving this on the daily with the exhaust leak? It’s minor right now but I know it’ll get worse with more use: thing is I’m traveling for the holidays, as in already across the country from home, and I don’t want to do this on the road as it were.

Second: since I’m already getting in there to do the manifold/gasket any minor mods I can do while I’m at it?
2005 SXT - ATX 2.4 NA Swap
2007 Jetta 2.5L Wolfsburg Custom
2022 Mazda 3i

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: R&R on exhaust manifold upcoming

Post by occasional demons » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:38 pm

If it is leaking between the head and manifold flange, or the manifold is cracked, it can cause issues with ambient air sucking into the exhaust. This adds oxygen to the mix, so the o2 sensor reads it as lean, and the PCM will add fuel, to try to correct a problem that doesn't actually exist. It can cause some pretty erratic behavior, as it over corrects, then under corrects trying to hit the target air fuel ratio.

If it is leaking at the manifold exit to the catalytic converter, or the converter flex joint, then you could run it until it fell off. You might get something like a P0420 code/CEL from the downstream o2 sensor. But it won't impact the engine operation.

Not much you can do for mods there, other than a shorty header, which won't net you much of a gain over the stock manifold. If you got creative with the converter inlet, then a shorty header may make a slight difference.

But you will lose the factory heat shielding, and should heat wrap the wire harness in the area.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

NachtRitter84
2GN Member

Re: R&R on exhaust manifold upcoming

Post by NachtRitter84 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:22 pm

Pretty sure you just gave me the answer on exactly where the leak is without my asking lol. It is over correcting and burning fuel then dropping to sluggish performance with ridiculously good fuel economy then stabilizing to normal for days on end. Shorty header sounds like a mod project for another time. Supposed to be getting a wrecked SRT4 on my way home for a project car so I’ll keep it in mind for that I suppose?
2005 SXT - ATX 2.4 NA Swap
2007 Jetta 2.5L Wolfsburg Custom
2022 Mazda 3i

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”