Going to a pick a part place that has neons

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
AdioSS
2GN Member

Going to a pick a part place that has neons

Post by AdioSS » Thu May 07, 2020 11:49 pm

I met up with a guy who was selling some wheels that we thought might fit the neon. At the same time I had posted parts to sell that I got for my old truck. He pulls up to the place in that body style truck. So I start off with selling him on the parts I have. He said he’s been looking for those exact parts. I offer a straight up trade if his wheels fit. They don’t. They’re the wrong bolt pattern. But it turns out that he works at a local pick a part place, & he says they’ve got some neons including an SRT4.

😈 So, what SRT4 parts are worth pulling?

My car is a 2000 Plymouth 2.0SOHC MTX.
I actually don’t want to do the turbo 2.4 swap. Too complicated & too much work for my intentions with this car. I might do an NA 2.4 some day.
I am interested in the suspension & braking parts. Maybe some interior parts.

What tools should I take with me?
Cheston
2000 Plymouth Neon SOHC ATX
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Going to a pick a part place that has neons

Post by occasional demons » Fri May 08, 2020 10:01 pm

Seats, if the leather trim is in good shape, most of the interior is the same, other than maybe color, and door insert patterns.

The struts, knuckles and brakes would be an upgrade, but for the rear discs, I would use R/T rotors instead of the SRT rear rotors. If they have been sitting a while, they will probably need replaced from rust anyways. SRT rear rotors are pretty heavy, and on a regular neon, the added thickness isn't really needed.

The steering wheel if you like that style, but the 2000 to 2002 Speed Control buttons - if applicable, will not work with it. SRT's did not come with Speed Control for some reason, so there will not be a Speed control stalk on it.

My personal favorite is the 2000 to 2002 steering wheel. More so if it has leather trim.

As far as tools, a basic tool set with wrenches, sockets, extensions and some screwdrivers, phillips and torx will do. Basically anything you think you may want, see what tools fit your car, and take those. The strut bolts, suspension, etc are all the same hardware.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

AdioSS
2GN Member

Re: Going to a pick a part place that has neons

Post by AdioSS » Sun May 10, 2020 3:55 am

The guy was wrong. It was an SXT, not SRT. I did get some different wheels & an oil cap.
Cheston
2000 Plymouth Neon SOHC ATX
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”