RT heads swap

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
ShadowNights125
Fresh Fish

RT heads swap

Post by ShadowNights125 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:25 pm

Hi, i have 2002 rt engine and already in my 2005 neon. i realized the crank sensor was in different location and the pcm is not compatible with it and i didnt notice it at the last moment. yes im an idiot. lol :laughing4: so, anyway, i still have 2002 rt engine with magnum intake. i planned to take that 2002 rt heads and put in my 2005 engine to swap it that 2005 engine goes in my 2005 neon. yes my 2005 engine is planning to bottom end rebuild. i'm i required to change to 2003 or newer cam magnets on 2002 rt heads? will that work and will it run? (yes im still using atx and it is my daily driver.) what else does it need to put my 2005 engine?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: RT heads swap

Post by occasional demons » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:21 pm

All you should have to do is swap the cam magnet from your 2005 cam onto the 2002 cam.

Everything else should be the same as just bolting a replacement head onto the engine.

Since you are going to freshen up the bottom end, you might want to use the piston/rod assemblies from the 2002 Magnum engine, if you only planned on rings and honing. This will bump the compression to 9.8:1 vs the 9.3:1 that the 2003 up 2.0's have.

You won't have the full 150 hp increase that a Magnum swap would have, since you don't have the PCM, but it will be better than the 132 base hp.

You would also need to replace the exhaust manifold with the Magnum header. Hopefully that came with the engine. You will need to have an o2 bung welded into the header, but otherwise the stock manifold inlets are too small for the Magnum ports. It will flow worse than the regular head, defeating the entire purpose of using the Magnum head.

A Comp Cams 400 cam would be a decent bang for the buck, and would probably get you a little more than 150 hp. But that is a few hundred new...
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”