Help needed on trans issue

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
ragen666
n00b

Help needed on trans issue

Post by ragen666 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:24 pm

So I'm still a little new as a backyard mechanic, and could use some help to pinpoint what I should do next.

My 02 auto neon has had a transmission issue going on for about a month now, while in drive at a drive thru or at a long stop light,(only sometimes) I could hear a squeaking intermittently and my car would slowly lurch forward like I just took my foot off the brake (brakes are all new, working, and fluid is full). I could stop this by throwing it in neutral or park, so I know it's something with the trans.

I replaced the trans oil, trans oil pan, trans oil filter, got the gasket for the pan, and another (trans side pan?) in the driver's wheel hub area. Seemed to stop the issue for about a week, then started again and a bit worse this time.

Cut to a few days ago, on my way to work, on the highway doing about 60. Feels like the car didn't want to downshift so I could pick up speed and I let off the gas, car SLAMS hard. I thought I hit something at first. Minute or so later it does it again. Thankfully I was near an exit and popped my car in neutral and coasted into a parking lot. Didn't slam again while in N. The cars engine bay was hot as hell, but the temp gauge didn't show it hotter than normal. Some trans fluid was leaking out of the new pan I put on but stopped shortly after. I checked my trans dipstick and the oil was running like water.

I'm pretty sure I need a new tranny, but before I take on that kind of a project I just wanted to get some sage advice from others who know more than me about this car and cars in general.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Help needed on trans issue

Post by occasional demons » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:14 pm

Is there a Check Engine Light? (CEL) If you key on 3 times in 5 seconds, you may get some codes. Most likely it will show P0700, which is a general transaxle fault code. A real scan tool is needed to get specific transaxle codes.

Most likely, the transaxle and or torque converter need rebuilt/replaced. If it has high mileage, probably more so.

The 2002 and 2003 use the 41te, which is what I would try to get as a replacement. The 2004/2005 is the 40te, which will work, but is slightly less durable.

Since this is an adaptive/learning transaxle, if you get a used or rebuilt, the car needs to be connected to a DRB tool (dealer) or equivalent to get the TCM in sync with the clutch volumes, etc of the replacement. Otherwise it will start out trying to shift it with the old transaxles values. This could cause undue wear as it relearns where it needs to be.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ragen666
n00b

Post by ragen666 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:06 pm

Yes that is the code that popped up. So I'll need to unmount my trans and either put a new one on or get mine rebuilt. Im assuming I still need to get someone to use the DRB tool even if i rebuild my trans, right? And if so is there a rough price point for the dealer to do this? I noticed the tool for sale on ebay for like $3,500!!!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:22 pm

I imagine whatever their hourly rate is, times the hourly rate. I would assume an hour minimum.

You could ask around if there are any local transmission shops what they would charge to do the Quick Learn Procedure.

Finding a functional ATX would be much cheaper in most situations than having it professionally rebuilt. The success of a self rebuild would depend if there are more than just clutch packs worn, or if bushings/bearings are marginal or toast. A new torque converter is pretty much a given, due to potential debris being lodged in there.

When my brother had the 40te rebuilt in his 2004 Sebring, they had to replace about everything inside. It was totally shot. IIRC, a $1800 bill. But it lasted another 175,000 miles, and was still going when he scrapped the car. So I think he got his money's worth from it. I have no idea if he still has it, but I think he sold the trans.

The engine from the Sebring has been re machined to SRT specs, and SRT internals for his '99 R/T turbo build. (Every 2003 up 2.4 block can be made into a turbo block. The piston oiler bosses, equal length axle shaft bearing bracket, and oil return from the turbo are all cast in.)

From what I understand, the 41te parts will work in a 40te, so even if it comes to that, a 40 can be made into a 41.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 pm

It can't hurt to see if you can get a scanner from eBay or Amazon that can read transaxle codes, if you can find one for a reasonable price. I don't know if the Torque App can read those or not. (Google Play) You need a bluetooth adapter and a smartphone/tablet. But if so, that is the least expensive way if you have a smartphone/tablet, to get info. The app is free, or a few dollars for the pro version. Adapters are $20 at the high end.

Knowing the exact code(s) might tell you if it is something like a sensor that can be replaced instead of rebuilding/replacing. I'm not sure a solenoid pack would cause those symptoms.

If it has something like 200,000 miles, then yeah, your luck is likely run out, but you never know.

I just wish they set these up like the 41te's in the 3.0 V6 Sundance/Shadow. They seemed to last forever in those. The 3.3 V6 cars ate them for lunch. The 2.0/2.4 are hit and miss.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

bitKinginsof
Fresh Fish

-

Post by bitKinginsof » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:15 am

I came home last night car working fine....started the car this morning and realized that when i move the gear shifter from Park to reverse OR ANY GEAR the gears are not engaged... the car cannot move and on the dash where it shows what gear the car is in....is blank.

Has anyone had this problem?

Mechanic says it cud be the transmission or controller... but the parts fackin expensive.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:28 am

What year is your neon?
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”