My ECU seems to be stuck in ‘learn mode’ for the security chip keys

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
NachtRitter84
2GN Member

My ECU seems to be stuck in ‘learn mode’ for the security chip keys

Post by NachtRitter84 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:07 pm

Not really sure what topic this would go in so here goes:
‘02 SE. ATX if it matters. There is a(manually verified) security key system(needs the chip). However the car seems to be stuck in ‘learn mode’ for new keys like when you use two keys to move it into the 10 quick CEL flashes at ignition to use two chip keys to program a third one. So I cut some new chip keys, hadn’t programmed them yet and was just testing fitment. Car fired right up - my existing chip key was in the car, but it was in my pocket so at least 18” from the ignition. Took the keys inside brought out the freshly cut ones - car still fired right up.

Now, I’ve had the battery disconnected for an hour or so a few times, and that ‘should’ have fixed the issue if the ECU or skim module was stuck in the learn mode so I’m unsure of what to do about this. Anybody run into this before?
2005 SXT - ATX 2.4 NA Swap
2007 Jetta 2.5L Wolfsburg Custom
2022 Mazda 3i

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: My ECU seems to be stuck in ‘learn mode’ for the security chip keys

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:12 pm

Maybe try the SKIM lock out reset method: Leaving the ignition on for an hour or so, with a battery charger connected.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

NachtRitter84
2GN Member

Re: My ECU seems to be stuck in ‘learn mode’ for the security chip keys

Post by NachtRitter84 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:33 am

That worked! Been busy as hell and didn’t get around to posting until now. Thanks much!
2005 SXT - ATX 2.4 NA Swap
2007 Jetta 2.5L Wolfsburg Custom
2022 Mazda 3i

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”