What to upgrade?

Have some questions about AutoX or Rally racing, like what types of tires are good or where to start for suspension, ect... ask them here.
neonrog
2GN Member

What to upgrade?

Post by neonrog » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:12 pm

My 2003 Neon SE has done a Yeoman's job the last 10 years, shuttling myself and my son and his wife around. My son gave my car back to me for good recently and after I get done going through long term wear and maintenance items, I'd like to consider open track days at the local road course. I gave some thought to RallyCross, but not not sure my back would last (rods and screws).

I really don't want the car to sit any lower to the ground as my local community is already a struggle street wise. My Jeep and truck soak up all the dips and bad spots, but the poor little Neon has already scraped its chin a couple times since I got it back. My daily commute (well, I only work 4 day weeks) includes a fun, twisty mountain pass that I can already slide the rear of the car around. So better tires are a must, and suspension upgrades will be needed.

I see plenty of coilover setups, some with front adjustable camber plates. What sway bars would be preferred, and no, I do not have a rear bar. And do strut tower braces make a real improvement? (In the early 80s I had a 65 Mustang with a Monte Carlo bar, improved my SOLO comp times all by itself!) Are there after market control arms that actually improve handling, not just lighten my wallet? What other tips, tricks, or ideas are out there?

I am actually happy with the basic performance and speed of the old car. So I don't intend to do much performance wise. But I'd sure like the little car to stick to the ground and stay where I put it in the corners. I really have no intention to race, just have fun on the road course where its safe and legal to "let it all hang out"...
If its not an English Mastiff, its just a dog.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Re: What to upgrade?

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:36 pm

neonrog wrote:What sway bars would be preferred...
Well, everyone already knows that I like anything with a big, blue "M" on it :lol: so here is what I have:
viewtopic.php?p=981303#981303
neonrog wrote:I see plenty of coilover setups...
viewtopic.php?p=877173#877173

I don't have the Mopar camber plates yet since they are w-a-y out of my price range.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

neonrog
2GN Member

Post by neonrog » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Thats some nice stuff! What do those "list" at? I read your whole project. I tend to do most of my own work. So labor cost isn't a factor when doing maintenance or upgrade work.
If its not an English Mastiff, its just a dog.

Return to “Autocrossing / Rally”