2005 Neon 2.0 SOHC Valves - Replacement

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
androtaker56
n00b

2005 Neon 2.0 SOHC Valves - Replacement

Post by androtaker56 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:30 pm

I am getting some confusing overlaps when looking to order a head rebuild kit. Some kits give the same year range but is marked as not for my car. Do the valves change alot year to year on the sohc 2.0?

I am rebuilding my head due to timing belt breaking and bending some valves.

androtaker56
n00b

Re: 2005 Neon 2.0 SOHC Valves - Replacement

Post by androtaker56 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:05 pm

Some kits show 95-03 and some kits show 95-05 seems to be I am seeing the same weird overlap for performance camshafts.

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:07 pm

The cam is interchangeable from 95-05, as far as I know. As for the valves, they changed from a single-groove keeper in the first gens (95-99) to a three-groove keeper style in the second gens (00-05). The valves themselves should fit either way, but you'll need the correct keepers to make them work.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:07 pm

The best thing is to call and confirm. Getting triple groove valves will be the easiest, and probably cheapest if the retainers and locks/keepers are not included.

The retainers must also match the keepers as the angle is slightly different between triple and single groove keepers. I recall this from researching single groove keepers and using the retainers that come with the Magnum valve springs.

Not sure what the logic was, but they made them slightly different.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

androtaker56
n00b

Post by androtaker56 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:19 pm

thanks for the help. The car is done.

I found that the kit worked fine. only issues were with information available for the headgasket. I didnt do enough research. doing a quick search says the head gasket orientation doesnt matter if it is not marked on the gasket. So I didnt pay attention and just replaced it. Well turns out there is a proper way to install it and I opened my oil galley into a coolant one. So I bought another head gasket and reinstalled the head. All works fine now except alittle whining noise from the new belt.

I did port the head while I was rebuilding it. removed around 30% of the exhaust hump, gasket matching intake and exhaust also did some cleaning/smoothing in other areas. Car runs better then ever, noticeable but not substantial power gains at all rpm.

Some of the casting was terrible, I had alot of cleaning up to do.

Mods: intake, catback exhaust, and slightly ported head.

Return to “Engine”