Missfire at 5500 rpm

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Pearl_rt
2GN Member

Missfire at 5500 rpm

Post by Pearl_rt » Fri May 26, 2023 8:59 am

My 2004 r/t had a problem with a cam crank coralation. i fixed that problem but now my car will sputter and missfire and sputter at 5500 rpm and then wont rev past 2400 rpm till i clear the codes and then it runs fine till i hit 5500 rpm. all the sensors are new and oem the magnet is new but is from a parts store i cant find anythin on here.; my car dose have a mxp underdrive pully if that makes any difrence other then that the cars stock
Still new to neons Im going to ask stupid questions its what i do
Currently own DR. GONZO’s 04 rt
always trying to not blow my neon up

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Missfire at 5500 rpm

Post by occasional demons » Fri May 26, 2023 9:33 am

Was the target magnet in the cam specifically for 2003 to 2010?

what are the codes you're getting? I think the underdrive pulley was only an issue for the 2002 pcm's, but it only flashed the CEL, but no actual misfires above 5500 rpm. With my 2002 R/T pcm, it crept as low as 4000 rpm, so I tossed the pulley and put the stock one back on, and no more flashing CEL.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Pearl_rt
2GN Member

Post by Pearl_rt » Tue May 30, 2023 12:06 pm

magnet is for a 04 and its a p0300,p0339,p0016

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue May 30, 2023 12:47 pm

How specific were you with the torque of the magnet? It's a pretty low value and I've heard they crack when over torqued.

My 04 was fine with a MPX pulley, but it wasn't an R/T.

The 02 R/T issue that Bill mentioned was a common problem with that year, iirc.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue May 30, 2023 4:04 pm

Was installing a new timing belt, etc part of fixing the original problem?

If it's the original 2004 belt, that could be an issue.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Pearl_rt
2GN Member

Post by Pearl_rt » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:48 am

I have replaced the timing belt as I was fighting the correlation code and I eventually fixed that by putting a new cam magnet in. That fixed the correlation code but brought along the misfire. I removed the pully component to see if that would change anything and the misfire and codes moved to 4k rpm. I’m thinking it might be the cam magnet but I’m not sure. I know I didn’t over tighten the bolt for the magnet as I only use a 1/4 inch ratchet and i stopped only it got hard to turn with one finger

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:19 am

Pearl_rt wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:48 am
I have replaced the timing belt as I was fighting the correlation code and I eventually fixed that by putting a new cam magnet in. That fixed the correlation code but brought along the misfire. I removed the pully component to see if that would change anything and the misfire and codes moved to 4k rpm. I’m thinking it might be the cam magnet but I’m not sure. I know I didn’t over tighten the bolt for the magnet as I only use a 1/4 inch ratchet and i stopped only it got hard to turn with one finger
I would think that wouldn't crack the magnet. The torque spec is something stupid low like 30 in-lbs

When my magnet died, I had to swing into a Walmart to buy a wrench to disconnect the battery so I could get to work. Then on the way home I was able to swing by a dealer to get a magnet. I drove 55 miles each way to work, I fortunately had a number of dealers to check for stock.

Then I changed it after a pretty decent snow storm, in my garage on a Sunday and I needed to go to work the next day.

I didn't breath while I was tightening that bolt so I made sure I heard the click of the torque wrench lol
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

Pearl_rt
2GN Member

Post by Pearl_rt » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:32 am

i dont think its cracked it could just be the fact that its a chepo magnet

Pearl_rt
2GN Member

Post by Pearl_rt » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:18 am

Im starting to think that my isue may be crank vibration. im going to try and find a oem acsesory drive pully in a local scrap yard and see if that helps fix my isue if not then it might be time for a 2.4

Pearl_rt
2GN Member

Post by Pearl_rt » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:08 am

Update: So i seem to have fixed the missfire for now all i did was start driving the car realy hard and it seems to be fine now. I dont know if the isue is fixed or if it just chose to work well for now. I will find out if it was working because the car was at opperating temp and everything started to be happy or if its just chose to not be a pain in the ass

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:25 am

Really late reply, I had the same issue with my Magnum engine and it was actually the timing belt stretching causing an issue. I switched to the Gates Blue timing belt and I never had an issue again even revving to 7000rpm as shown online in past videos when my car was on a dyno at Carlisle. I told the dyno operator that he was safe to rip it up to 7000rpm on the dyno and he did.
When I switched to the Gates Blue I never had the Cam/Crank miss again......

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:03 am

Pearl_rt wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:08 am
Update: So i seem to have fixed the missfire for now all i did was start driving the car realy hard and it seems to be fine now. I dont know if the isue is fixed or if it just chose to work well for now. I will find out if it was working because the car was at opperating temp and everything started to be happy or if its just chose to not be a pain in the ass
Sometimes a random misfire can also be due to running improper fuel, or carbon build up. Sometimes the old "italian tuneup" can clear some carbon out of the combustion chambers lol.

Return to “Engine”