oil change...

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Paul56
2GN Member

oil change...

Post by Paul56 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:51 pm

This likely belongs in "Engine" but posting here for visibility first. You "powers that be" can move as necessary. :D

Last changed oil beginning of November 2007... mileage now hovering around 5000k with the duration being almost 7 months.

The car has ~164500 kilometers (Canadian eh?) on it... about 103000 miles.

Previous owner had the oil changes done regularly at the dealership... Mopar filters & Mopar conventional 5w-30 oil. His son had the car for almost a year before I got it... the father and I assumed the oil was not changed during that period when about 10000 kilometers... about 6300 miles were put on. Other than not really paying attention to maintenance the son was not rough with the car... but good thing he did not have it any longer otherwise it would be in sorry shape.

With the next oil change coming up this weekend I'm considering going with synthetic... Pennzoil Platinum.

Am I playing with fire by switching over to synthetic with this kind of mileage? ...should I simply play it safe and continue to use the same conventional oil?

If sticking with conventional I was thinking of giving a NAPA Gold filter and Pennzoil (yellow bottle) 5w-30 conventional a whirl this time around.

Comments... opinions anyone?
2011 Honda Fit Sport

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Tue May 20, 2008 8:28 pm

I'd put synthetic in it anyway.
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

Addicted2Boost
2GN Member

Post by Addicted2Boost » Tue May 20, 2008 8:31 pm

I use synthetic mobile 1 its expensive but i trust it with my turbo and engine i really cant wait to see how good it is when i rebuild my engine next month it would be nice to get another 100k but id say go for it just let it drain completely

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:47 pm

Personally, I wouldn't mess with synthetic. There is no need for it. You don't drive a bunch of miles, so you aren't trying to extend your changes. A good conventional oil (read any conventional oil) will last the 6 or so months that you are going between changes without much of an issue.

I would stick with what you have been using.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue May 20, 2008 8:50 pm

The only "risk" you have by switching to synthetic is any leaks you have may leak a little more. The advantage of smaller molecules is synthetic's disadvantage, when it comes to seeping through seals. Other than that you shouldn't see any problems with it. Just check your level more often till you see how your engine maintians oil level with the syn. oil.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jake_tim
2GN Member

Post by jake_tim » Tue May 20, 2008 11:32 pm

racer12306 wrote:Personally, I wouldn't mess with synthetic. There is no need for it. You don't drive a bunch of miles, so you aren't trying to extend your changes. A good conventional oil (read any conventional oil) will last the 6 or so months that you are going between changes without much of an issue.

:withstupid: He is the Oil expert. :lol:

-Jacob

Paul56
2GN Member

Post by Paul56 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:24 am

Out with the old and in with the new...

Dumped the old Mopar 5w-30 conventional over the weekend and replaced it with Pennzoil 5w-30 conventional along with a factory oil filter (Mopar).

I'll be listening and watching for anything noticeable.

I may get a UOA on this batch when it gets drained in the fall.
2011 Honda Fit Sport

01NeonSnooZer
2GN Member

Post by 01NeonSnooZer » Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 am

racer12306 wrote:Personally, I wouldn't mess with synthetic. There is no need for it. You don't drive a bunch of miles, so you aren't trying to extend your changes. A good conventional oil (read any conventional oil) will last the 6 or so months that you are going between changes without much of an issue.

I'm with this guy and someone should have told you that Penzoil is garbage freakin oil! For a higher mileage car like yours (or mine, just hit 90K) Castrol High mileage is what I would recommend. I work at a Dodge dealer here in ok and I believe firmly in the factory motor oil and use it regularly in my car. If you must have Synthetic, either Factory synthetic or Mobil1. Another thing you might consider is a Synthetic Blend. I hate to endorse Ford here but when I was working for them. I used their 5W30 factory oil BECAUSE it was synthetic blend and I loved the way my engine ran with it . Find a good synthetic blend and I think you'll be happy. also, if you're using oil with an API Service Rating of lower than SM, you're wasting your money IMO.
Gimme some chopsticks, I wanna eat rice!

Paul56
2GN Member

Post by Paul56 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:09 am

Well, the skuttlebutt over here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com is that Pennzoil YB is very good so I thought I'd give it a try.

I don't have any leaks and the engine consumes maybe 1/2 litre over 5000 k... don't think it really needs the HM oil just yet.
2011 Honda Fit Sport

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:23 pm

Pennzoil is not junk. That was a thing of the past, and very easily could have been a myth all together.

Millions of cars a year get the oil changed at Jiffy Lube, and the large majority of Jiffy Lubes use Pennzoil motor oil, and these cars last as long as any, even with the abuse that these drivers give there engines.

SL oil is suitable for most cars, except when SM is specifically required, however most oils on the shelf are SM.

IMO, there is never a need for High Mileage oil in a properly cared for engine.

I would not hesitate to put any oil on the market into my car
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

01NeonSnooZer
2GN Member

Post by 01NeonSnooZer » Tue May 27, 2008 1:49 pm

I guess, for me, it all comes down to personal preference. I have always hated Penzoil and have never had good luck with it.

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed May 28, 2008 7:03 am

Your going to hear alot of good and bad about oils and filters....
Currently I'm running a Hastings oil filter and Mobil 1 5-30....

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed May 28, 2008 8:16 am

Used Pennzoil for years never had a problem. The only oil I ever had trouble with was Valvoline. Did an oil change and checked it after 150 miles and it was 3 quarts low! Drained, refilled with Penzoil and the level never dropped till the next change. Glad 383's hold 5 quarts, and I didn't wait another day to check it.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Wed May 28, 2008 1:13 pm

My car didn't like Royal Purple too much.
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

01NeonSnooZer
2GN Member

Post by 01NeonSnooZer » Wed May 28, 2008 6:58 pm

My Buddy's R/T Dakota hates it. His truck used like 2 1/2 quarts in one week when he first tried it. He changed to Mobil1 and has been lovin ever since.

I personally just use the factory oil in mine. I don't drive very hard and I work at a dealership so i get it cheap.

Paul56
2GN Member

Post by Paul56 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:30 pm

Apparently the factory oil (Mopar) is made by Exxon/Mobile.
2011 Honda Fit Sport

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:33 pm

^^^That wouldn't surprise me as the factory synthetic oil is Mobil 1. But they very easily could go to the lowest bidder. So for a few months it will be Exxon/Mobil, then Pennzoil for a few months and then Valvoline.

I know they did this with their oil filters, maybe not as frequently as every few months, but they did change a few times.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

TN.Frank
2GN Member

Post by TN.Frank » Sat May 31, 2008 1:28 pm

You can always run a semi-synthetic blend. We have a Motorcraft Blend that's just .10 cents more a quart then the dino Castrol that I'm using now an about a buck and change cheaper then other blended oil . I'll probably switch to it and run 4K miles per change instead of 3K like I've been doing. As long as it meets the API ratings it should be as good as any other on the market. I'll probably switch to a Bosch filter too or I might stay with the STP 3600 that I'm using now, not sure yet.
?You know what the difference between me and you really is? You look out there and see a horde of evil, brain eating zombies. I look out there and see a target rich environment.?
-Dillis D. Freeman Jr. 11/2/2001

Return to “Engine”